Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Chess Set

• 08-11-2006 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

How much are chess sets these days and where can one buy them!?
    Is there anything you should look for when buying a chess set - I'm not a chess player!
    I'm looking to buy a nice chess set as a present, for up to 100euro or so. I need it by Saturday!
    Anywhere in Dublin will do, can't buy online as it won't be here on time.
    Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated :o

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

You could try OK sports in rathmines:

http://www.oksports.ie/index.php?cName=chess - they have a couple in the €100 price range. Alternatively try some of those craft type shops around town, have seen some there but not sure about prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There's a place in Liffey Valley. Does a lot of nice arty, fancy chess sets.
    Located in the centre of Liffey Valley, Special Days is a unique gift store. Our primary departments include Board Games, Chess, Gadgets, Greeting Cards, Candles, and Housewares. We also stock Ireland's largest and best selection of gaming supplies including poker chips (5gm, 9gm, 11.5gm + clay chips), card shoes, shufflers and poker tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pigthehog

Thanks for the info, I'll check out those places :)
    Is there a standard for makes a good chess set, or any rules when buying one?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If you're buying for tournament play, the pieces must be a certain size, and unless agreed upon by both players, a specific design.

But if you're buying as a gift, then use your own judgement. You'll see some very nice sets in either of the shops mentioned.

For £65 in the London Chess Centre:

Classic-Combination.gif

IMHO, wooden sets are the nicest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If I had seen the post earlier, I could have confirmed Specialdays could deliver by the Saturday. (90% of orders before 12 noon are delivered next working day)

All chess ets are now on the website
    http://www.specialdays.ie/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=8&cat=Chess+%26+Backgammon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

hey McCaul,

what are you doing hanging round these parts? hope Christmas goes well for you.

I have three identical sets from McCauls shop that have heavy roll up mats and nice size magnetic plastic pieces. I bring a set everywhere I go, one stinks of booze!

OK sports, up an alley in Rathmines, sell beautiful Staunton pieces if you're serious about your purchase.

otherwise Special Days is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

For a different type of set try http://www.princeaugust.ie/chess/index.html. You can buy premade one. Or you can buy moulds and make your own which is what I do. I've made 5 different types of sets now. I'm currently making the Fantasy set.

Ooo - just saw (as a result of this thread) that they have a Ramsis vs Sennacherib set now - I'll be buying those moulds next :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

That is one of the nerdiest yet coolest posts that I have ever seen. I'd love to go along to one of those fairs that sells these kind of boards! When is the next one on maestro?

(you're not the retired villain in Ronin btw?) wonderful actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 June Maria

Hi Abdiel delighted with your recommendation for OK Sports in Rathmines. I had been searching everywhere for a really good quality chess set. I was reluctant to buy off the internet because you just don't know what your buying! Great to actually feel the weight of the pieces and see the detail of the carving before you buy. I managed to get an absolutely beautiful set and board at a great price. As for the service and friendliness of Thomas O'Keeffe and his wife it was second to none -, absolutely delightful people to deal with - they certainly havent forgotten how to treat their customers. Although it was a chess set I wanted I was surprised to see how many different games were in stock - something for everyone here! I can't recommend this shop highly enough and I will definately be back. Thanks again for the recommendation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jackiewackie85

Hey Abdiel,

I was looking for a chess set everywhere in Dublin until I saw your post. The owners of OK Sports in Rathmines were very nice and patient, I arrived just before closing time and they let me stay to find the perfect set, which I found :)
    What I liked most about this shop is the variety of the games and especially the quality.
    Thanks again!

Advertisement