Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical stuff / Spot lights

Options
  • 08-11-2006 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

hi astrofluff - are you an electrician? up for any nixers? Or know of anyone?
    Just looking to get a few spots put in without being charged the earth.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

No, I'm not an electrician, I'm a Building Surveyor. Did a course in electrical work while at DIT Bolton Street...the interest grew from there.

Don't do nixers...Would have no problem doing electrical work in my own house but when it comes to someones else's house, you need to have insurance (cause you never know what could bite you in the ass!)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

astrofluff wrote:
    No probs LMC. There's always a wrong connection somewhere. I'm big into electircal layouts so 'should' have no problems figuring it out if you don't manage to sort it.

Sent you PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

no problem thanks astrofluff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Ohh spots are expensive, generaly work out at about €75 each, and also depend on what way the slats are positioned above your ceiling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

OMG thought I was getting ripped off getting quoted €80 per spot.
    Need about 10 in the one room - no way am I going to pay 800 bucks for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

dubgirl wrote:
    OMG thought I was getting ripped off getting quoted €80 per spot.
    Need about 10 in the one room - no way am I going to pay 800 bucks for that!!

We considered it but found it totally unjustfiable too. forget about them, the only way to get the at a reasonable price is putting them before putting down the floorboards upstairs, otherwise it's gonna be a nightmare and expensive... best alternative is a nice halogen spotlights rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i could ask one of the lads that i know and see if he will do a deal but its probably still gonna be 50 or 60 euro per light...

and ten spots in one room will make it extreeeeeeemmmlllllllyyyyyy bright!

generally i think you work it out like 1 light per 1 or 2 square metre

so if your room is like 10 aq metres (100 odd sq feet) you only need like 2 or 4 lights depending on how burght you want the room...

say for example my living room is about 350 sq feet and i have 8 spotlights, when they are up full blast its nearly as bright as sunlight in there!

Advertisement