Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multicore info needed

Options
  • 08-11-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a stage box and a multicore cable, with xlr and jacks sockets for it. Im not really sure exactly what cable to get. This is the stage box I'm looking at
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/cae_stagebox_204.htm

I need 16XLR female sockets in it, and 4 mono or stereo jack sockets.
    These are the sockets Im looking at.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/neutrik_nc_3_fg_h.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/neutrik_nj3fp6cbag.htm

Hopefully with this set up I will be able to connect 16 mics and 4 guitars/instruments to my stage box.

The problem I have is what multicore cable to buy. I need 16 balanced XLR cables, and 4 mono jack cables in one multicore only 3m long. I'll solder all connections myself. Can anyone tell me what type of multicore I need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tuitser

I think it would be handierto get a couple Di boxes instead! This way, you can run the bass amp direct into the XLR ins and it sounds way better than if you plug a bass into a jack input with no DI!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I'll be doing that. I'll mostly be using the jack sockets for headphone mixes, and tie lines for whatever random reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It's been a while since I made up a stage box or a multi core so I can't advice directly regarding what the best cables on the market are but I know these people can: StudioSpares, +44 8456 441020. They aren't the cheapest on the market but they can give you some good advice. Their website is here.

Tuitser wrote:
    I think it would be handierto get a couple Di boxes instead! This way, you can run the bass amp direct into the XLR ins and it sounds way better than if you plug a bass into a jack input with no DI!

Quadloe can still use a DI box with the stage box.

Thanks for the info. Any more advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

QuadLeo wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Any more advice appreciated.
    To be honest I reckon you have everything you need. Have a chat with studio spares. They might even loom pre wrapped loom that suits you perfect. I think I'm going to need one soon too (I'm very close to coverting my box room into a drum booth. Oh yeah baby!!). Maybe I'll check back with you to see what you got and how you got on.

• Advertisement

I just don't want to spend a load of cash on a multicore cable to find out it won't connect xlr to xlr, or jack to jack. Another thing I was wondering, is the external pin on the xlr wired to the shield of the entire multicore or does each intrenal wire have it's own shield. I'll give those guys a call anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

QuadLeo wrote:
    I just don't want to spend a load of cash on a multicore cable to find out it won't connect xlr to xlr, or jack to jack. Another thing I was wondering, is the external pin on the xlr wired to the shield of the entire multicore or does each intrenal wire have it's own shield. I'll give those guys a call anyway.

As long as each channel cable in the multicore is 3-core then you will be fine. Each channel core should have shield, live and return. If you are doing the wiring yourself then get a 24 channel multicore with each having 3-cores. That way you also have a couple of spare channels should you require them.

Thanks soundman. That's the info I needed. Cheers.

Advertisement