Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funky Wardrobes???

Options
  • 08-11-2006 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

Been looking for nice built-in wardrobes & have looked in the usual suspects (C&C, Panelling Centre, ABAK in Walkinstown, www.bedroomelegance.com/ and various other places). Looking for other suggestions of places.

Attaching a pic of what I consider to be really funky wardrobes. Kitchen World have recently started doing these & I really like 'em. I like the recessed vertical strip that just goes down one side of the door (i.e. not a strip down each side). They're just a little different - a step up on the completely plain panel doors without being "in your face"/fussy. Anywhere else I've checked out just seem to have either plain slab doors or ones with panels & none of what I've seen to date jumped out at me except these ones at Kitchen World.

I feel like a spoilt child who wants what I want and want it now (I know it exists so why can't I have it!). Had I not seen these nice doors I guess I'd just have settled for more boring ones and wouldn't have known any better... I was considering ivory shaker panelled doors (they'd be the least fussy of the panelled ones). I kinda have to go ivory as the room is so small and an expanse of timber (effect!) doors would enclose the space in. Plain ivory just seemed too eh... plain.

BTW - only reason I can't go with Kitchen World is 'cos their wardrobes are only 21.5" deep & I really need 23.5" or 24" deep ones (I'll be building wardrobe around a hot water cylinder and extending down from there with more).

I could try asking Kitchen World who supplies the doors to them but I dunno that they'll want to tell me ;-( Not that suppliers would sell to public directly but I could find out who else they supply & get one of their customers to do my wardrobes at the depth I need!! There's nothing in the Softline Panels catalogue & I'm not aware of other suppliers to suss out.

Anyone got suggestions of other places to try??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

I emailed Kitchen World & got the following response
    Our robes are standard depth of 550mm but if they are going into an alcove they can be pulled forward to fit your needs, also if they have an exposed end we can provide a wide gable 700mm to suit.

So assuming I went with that option, what would be plan of action for padding out from the back? Nail battens to wall and attach back of wardrobes to them. Is that messing? Will it be sturdy enough etc.? Would I be better getting wardrobes that do go all the way into the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

where are you based?
    tcs wrote:
    So assuming I went with that option, what would be plan of action for padding out from the back? Nail battens to wall and attach back of wardrobes to them. Is that messing? Will it be sturdy enough etc.? Would I be better getting wardrobes that do go all the way into the wall?

Screwing a few runs of 3x2 onto the wall should be more than sturdy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

where are you based?
    Dublin 12 - in the heartlands of a number of these wardrobe/kitchen places...

The more I think about it, I'm kinda reluctant to go the "padding out from the back" route as it feels wrong in a small room to waste space (that could be used for storage) like that especially when other places do 600mm deep wardrobes as standard. 5cm doesn't seem like much but it might make the difference between being able to fit a box or something down at the bottom of the wardrobe so I'd prefer the space to be inside & useable than behind the wardrobe!!

I asked Kitchen World if they'll supply the doors only but the party line is
    No, sorry we don't sell the doors on their own. It's a complete unit with doors and carcass.

I find this hard to understand - isn't a partial sale better than none at all?? I could try asking them if they can tell me who supplies the doors. Doubt they'd be too willing to disclose. They actually have a pic of it on their site now and call it "Burmuda" (description - modern ivory door comes on a contrasting dark wenge carcass).

So if anyone has come across these doors elsewhere, I'd love to know where.

Anyone know who the wardrobe door suppliers in this country are (other than Softline that I know about)? There can't be that many, can there??? Famous last words...

Advertisement