Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumsfeld resigns

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jank wrote:
    I dont know about that. Even republicans seem to want these 2 to go so that there is a clean slate for 2008. They all want to converge to the centre and ahaving those 2 in power will not endeer them to the Dems. Myself would doubt if cheney goes but rove will be a goner by the new year.

Well obviously Cheney will have nothing to do with the 2008 campaign; Rove may pull of an Alister Campbell and announce his resignation from the job, only to pop up again as an "adviser" for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Frederico wrote:
    I was flicking between BBC, ITV, SKY etc last night.. I could see that the journalists were absolutely ecstatic that Rumsfeld was gone.. they all had their little montages ready, and they really did make him out to be a crazy old right wing man whos completely lost touch with reality..

It's always good to see some impartial journalism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

ACLU has called for Rumsfeld to be investigated.
    Donald Rumsfeld’s resignation is a step in the right direction," said Anthony D. Romero, ACLU Executive Director. "Rumsfeld is responsible for the torture and abuse of detainees in U. S. military custody and must be held accountable for the failures that occurred on his watch. He has placed the blame on junior military members and has been nothing but derelict in his duty. Congress must initiate an immediate and exhaustive investigation into his six-year-long record of unlawful activity, violations of the rule of law and complicity in the executive branch abuse of power."
    http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/27325prs20061108.html

Right on, lets get the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Kaylee wrote:
    According to Robert Hodierne (Army Times Publishing company) on Morning Ireland this morning, Robert Gates is Rumsfeld in a different suit - and a close personal friend of the Bush family.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1109/morningireland.html

This is true...he was also involved with the Iran Contra scandal. I'm surprised that it even happened. I would never expect Bush to replace him with a fair and objective person, much less competant.
    However the fact that the congressional elections have obviously forced Bush's hand is a positive thing. I'm slightly more optimistic right now because of it. We'll see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

sovtek wrote:
    This is true...he was also involved with the Iran Contra scandal.

I think his 'involvement' amounted to knowing what was going on a few months before the rest of the world did - he was hardly running gun boats over himself.

Me, I'll miss old Rummy. Afterall he did give us this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/27/rumsfeld.flt93/

I hope he enjoys life after the Pentagon, maybe he can go on a few Hunting trips with Dick Cheney...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

J.S. Pill wrote:
    I hope he enjoys life after the Pentagon, maybe he can go on a few Hunting trips with Dick Cheney...

I forget who said it but I believe he is going home to his wife to spend some time invading her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

J.S. Pill wrote:
    I think his 'involvement' amounted to knowing what was going on a few months before the rest of the world did - he was hardly running gun boats over himself.

Me, I'll miss old Rummy. Afterall he did give us this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/27/rumsfeld.flt93/

Yeah he was in the office when North and others were discussing it..but couldn't recall what was said. Maybe he wasn't running gun boats, but he was involved in training the Contras on hitting "soft targets" ...otherwise known as killing civilians.
    I doubt the families of 655,000 Iraqis will miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Let's celebrate with some Potent Quotables!

"It is unknowable how long that conflict [the war in Iraq] will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months." - Rummy in Feb. 2003

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." - Rummy 2003

"Secretary Powell and I agree on every single issue that has ever been before this administration except for those instances where Colin's still learning." - Rummy 2004

"Well, um, you know, something's neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so, I suppose, as Shakespeare said." - Rummy 2004

"I'm not into this detail stuff. I'm more concepty." - Rummy 2005

"Needless to say, the President is correct. Whatever it was he said." - Rummy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Lirange wrote:
    Let's celebrate with some Potent Quotables!

"It is unknowable how long that conflict [the war in Iraq] will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months." - Rummy in Feb. 2003

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." - Rummy 2003

"Secretary Powell and I agree on every single issue that has ever been before this administration except for those instances where Colin's still learning." - Rummy 2004

"Well, um, you know, something's neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so, I suppose, as Shakespeare said." - Rummy 2004

"I'm not into this detail stuff. I'm more concepty." - Rummy 2005

"Needless to say, the President is correct. Whatever it was he said." - Rummy

haha, some nice ones there, that gave me a laugh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

jank wrote:
    maybe even the Dick Cheney after
    Naaaaa, he was elected not appointed. Now if the Dems investigate the relationship between him, the Halliburton Corporation, and Iraq, then he could be impeached. Dems don't take office until January, so after that we will see...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Group Sues to Have Rumsfeld Investigated
    BERLIN Nov 14, 2006 (AP)— Civil rights activists filed suit Tuesday asking German prosecutors to open a war crimes investigation of outgoing Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and a host of other U.S. officials for their alleged roles in abuse at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison and Guantanamo Bay.

The 220-page document was sent to federal prosecutors by U.S. and German attorneys under a German law that allows the prosecution of war crimes regardless of where they were committed. It alleges that Rumsfeld personally ordered and condoned torture.

"One of the goals has been to say a torturer is someone who cannot be given a safe haven," said Michael Ratner, the president of New York's Center for Constitutional Rights, which is behind the litigation.

They'll never get him i'm sure, but why not make his life difficult anyway.

Advertisement