Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistle happy rugby Mods are a bad joke

Options
  • 08-11-2006 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭

I have made the point, when I was able to, that the Mods on the Rugby Union board can be a little whistle happy and over eager to ban people. I posted this after somebody attacked me, in a way that perhaps transgressed the rules of the site but not in a way that I personally would have taken any offence.

Shortly afterwards I myself was banned from Rugby Union for personal abuse, harshly in my view but I could nevertheless concede the justification. What was revealing, however, was the way in which the Mods seemed to be queueing up to ban me, and the fact that the one who put the ban in, AMZ, was quite happy to indulge in personal abuse herself without sanction later on.

Never mind.

Some time after, I visited the Rugby League board (not one with particularly heavy traffic) and posted an adaptation of an old joke. It used to have the punch line about there being only one Langer on the European Ryder Cup team, but I saw the opportunity to update it because one of the Irish Rugby League team has the misfortune to be called Wayne Kerr. (What were his parents thinking of?)

For this I was summarily banned by my nemesis AMZ. No reason given. No warning. No PM to explain.

I am at a loss to understand what the reasoning is, apart from the fact that AMZ has clearly taken a dislike to me. That is her entitlement; no law says you have to like everybody. But it should NOT, in my view, entitle her to misuse her Moderation powers just to summarily ban people of whom she disapproves.

Here are the rules of the RL boards as they appear there.

The rules such as we have them...

Thou shalt not be a muppet.
    Thou shalt not curse excessively or be nasty and offensive to people regularly.
    Thou shalt not have multiple registrations.
    Thou shalt not f*ck with other peoples mojo, dude.
    Thou shalt grow a thick skin or go back to AOL, this is the net and its rough-and-tumble sometimes.
    Thou shall be civil at all times or "bad things" will happen.

It was not a personal attack, it was an aside rather than an off topic post. It was not particularly obscene.

If you let Mods ban people willy nilly on the basis of their personal likes and dislikes the site will quickly become reduced to a circle jerk of people who know and like each other while purporting to be an open discussion forum for any reasonable visitor.

Please don’t interpret this as a plea to be reinstated in the Rugby League forum. I have no interest in the game. But you might want to consider that your Mods should perhaps read Rule 5 of the Rugby League board before clicking on the ‘user banned’ button in future.

For your benefit; not mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mad Finn wrote:
    For your benefit; not mine.
    Did you read rule number 1?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have clicked the links provided above, in both comments it would seem you were disruptive - open and shut case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

Beruthiel wrote:
    I have clicked the links provided above, in both comments it would seem you were disruptive - open and shut case.

Disruptive? God forbid that we should have that sort of thing in a discussion forum. Why, any deviation from the consensus and a debate might break out!!
    sceptre wrote:
    Did you read rule number 1?

I was right then. A circle jerk.

Outta here. Permanently.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ta ta!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

How was this for my benefit? If every user who got banned for acting like an idiot came along here to brag about it I'd grow old sitting here reading crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ecksor wrote:
    I'd grow old sitting here reading crap.

On the up side, luckily, you look young for your age ;)

Advertisement