Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Away from these shores.

• 08-11-2006 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

talkin to a colleague today , tells me he aint ever been out of the country..... he didnt think there was anything wrong with it , i guess there isnt but can people just list the countries they have been to cause im sorta curious now if this is the same story with many of yee...............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have many times but at the same time I wouldn't exactly care much if I hadn't. Plan living in Galway long term, whereas most of my friends keep talking about "eventually getting away", as if we've been living in Harlem the past 19 years.

Don't get it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shifted from AH.
    I would find it a bit strange but thats just me, with the price of flights to a great deal of areas being so cheap. I love travelling about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use search, there used to be a thread for "how many countries".
    I've been to about 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mostly Europe and US for me but tbh I see nothing wrong with never having travelled, all countries have their problems and if you lived in most of them long enough you'd find something to b*tch about. :)

Also, the idea that travel somehow makes one more cultured is a load of rubbish. That only happens if you totally immerse yourself in the culture and history of these countries.

I love to travel but nothing beats landing at home again :)

Off-topic...is search working again? EDIT: Never mind, I see that it is :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Check out the "How many countries have you visited thread?" which I created in After Hours over a year ago.

My current country count is now 35.. want to get to 100 before dying and live on each continent too.

It is just down to personal preference if people want to travel or not. Some are just comfortable being in the one place, others feel like they are missing out if they don't see many places (i.e. me).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vimak

I've been to many places, but only lived in two countries. However I'm planning on leaving Ireland after two or three years after getting all the benefits from my current employer, such as courses and IT certs and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We have a guy working for us. He is in his early 50's, doesn't have a passport, can't drive and has never left the country.
    He has no interest, not even to go to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 motormatic

Rabies wrote:
    We have a guy working for us. He is in his early 50's, doesn't have a passport, can't drive and has never left the country.
    He has no interest, not even to go to the UK.

i never understood people who don't want to travel and see different things. my old roommate from texas came to visit me in toronto a couple years ago. she's 35 years old and it was the first time she had ever been out of texas, let alone the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

Yup I have found here in VA not a lot of people have ever travelled. None of my work mates have passports, and when I 1st started working there one of them asked me how long it took me to drive from Ireland!!!!!!!!!

Would you believe that in all my years of living in Ireland I never set foot in Europe, I have been to London but thats about as far as I got. I always went across the atlantic to the states or mexico etc, but its early days yet I'll get there.

Advertisement