Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinting Windows

Options
  • 08-11-2006 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Know a guy and he has rolls of window tint, thinking about tinting my back passanger side windows the main one and the fly windows, what would i need to do to get the bubbles out (which i pressume there will be loads of) i was thinking a rubbing block and windowlean, would i need to take out the rear windscreen to tint that? but then if i left the rear windows tinted and the rearwindscreen would it look crap.

Advice please.

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The rear window is very very hard to do because of the bevel in it, best advice is loads of soapy water(washing up liduid) and something like a credit card to "run" the bublles ou.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Volvoboy wrote:
    Advice please
    Most DIY tinting looks crap and tacky in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Do you think it would look ok with the sides one and the rear not?
    Car is a navy almera.
    thanks

-VB-

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

When you buy a roll it usually comes with those little plastic card things, but i'm sure a credit card would be fine. A drop - literally - of washing up liquid mixed with water in a spray bottle for lubrication. Clean the windows like your life depended on it before hand. Then repeat. :)

Take your time and if possible do it in a garage out of the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

place the tint on the outside of the back window - use this as a template to cut your tint.
    put hot soapy water (washing up liquid) in a spray bottle and spray a nice coat on the inside of the glass.
    put the tint in place and spray another nice coat over the tint - use squeegee and a credit card (you should get a little plastic piece with the kit) to fix it to the glass, working from the inside out
    do your side windows first as practise - if you mess one of them up, you haven't wasted as much tint as with the back one

• Advertisement

Just been looking on the interweb there found a good artice for anybody else thinking of doing this.

Window tinting was once associated mainly with stretch limos carrying celebrities or crime bosses trying to maintain anonymity. Now it's fairly common as a factory option on many vehicles. More than just a vanity indulgence, window tint does actually serve practical purposes. It helps keep the inside of the vehicle cool so the AC doesn't have to work as hard. It protects interior vinyl, upholstery and leather from damaging ultraviolet rays. It serves to make the window more shatter proof. Finally, it serves a security function in that it makes it more difficult for would-be thieves to peruse the inside of your parked vehicle for valuables, cellular phones, radar detectors, stereo system, etc.

You may choose to have window tint professionally installed as an after-market feature, but it's also possible to install yourself. Whether you're selecting a shop to do the job professionally or doing it yourself, be aware that there is wide variation in quality of window tints. The high-performance types may eliminate as much as 99 percent of UV rays, and they may come with a lifetime warranty. Low-cost, low-quality tint generally comes with no warranty, may have a purple appearance, and is likely to bubble or fade.

Preparing the work area: One of the most troublesome factors when installing window tint is free-floating dust. Particles that get sealed between the tint and the glass are there permanently and may be a source of damage. This is a job best done in a closed, controlled area -- as dust-free as possible and away from the elements.

Tip: Wet the floor of the work area before you begin the installation. Keeping the floor surface wet will help prevent additional dust particles from being stirred up into the air.
    Materials:

Window-tinting film
    Spray bottle
    Rubber squeegee
    Single-edged razor blade
    Distilled water
    Mild soap (or mild dishwashing soap or baby shampoo)
    Lint-free cloth
    Butcher paper or craft paper
    Pencil

Make a template of the window using butcher paper. This template will later be used to cut the tint film. Roll the window down just slightly (so that you can trace the top edge) and trace the outline of the window carefully on the butcher paper to yield an accurate template. It may be helpful to use tape to hold the paper in place while tracing. Leave about an extra inch of length at the bottom of the template so that there will be enough tint film to tuck below the window gasket. Once the template is cut, double-check it against the window to make certain that it is accurate.
    For cleaning the glass, fill a spray bottle with a solution of 1/2 teaspoon of mild soap to one quart of distilled water. Wash and dry both sides of the window thoroughly.
    Clean away any remaining debris from both sides of the window by lightly scraping the glass with a razor blade. Use caution not to scratch the glass.
    Wash and dry both sides of the window again until you are certain both surfaces are completely clean. Use care to clean all the way to the edges and into the corners around the window gasket.
    Using your template as a guide, cut the window-tinting film with a utility knife (figure A). To save time, you can cut the film for two corresponding windows (e.g., driver-side front and passenger-side front) at the same time, using the same template. Just be aware of which way each piece of film is facing when you cut.
    The film comes with a clear backing on it to protect the adhesive. You'll need to pull away this backing to install the tint.

Tip: To make it easier to separate and pull back the backing, in one corner of the tint place two pieces of tape facing each other on either side of the film. Then pull the pieces of tape away from each other so that they function as pull tabs (figure B), allowing you to easily separate the backing from the film.

With the backing removed from the film, wet the adhesive surface with the soapy solution. Also wet the inside surface of the window with the same solution.
    Carefully move the film into position inside the window (figure C), being careful not to let the film get creased or doubled over onto itself. The film should adhere to the glass fairly well with the soapy solution. You may want to temporarily tape the corners for added holding while you apply the tint to the glass. Spray the film once again with soapy solution.
    Use the squeegee to remove the soapy water and bubbles from underneath the film while simultaneously smoothing the film onto the glass (figure D). Take your time and be careful and methodical for this step. Be careful not to press so hard with your squeegee that you stretch the film. Also, do not lift the film to remove bubbles. Instead, squeegee them gently to the edge and release them.
    Trim away any extra film hanging over the window edges using a new razor blade.
    Keep the windows rolled up for at least three days to allow full curing.

Important: Before considering this installation, check your state's restrictions on the degree of tint that's permitted. Also note that some states have separate regulations for the degree that's permitted on the rear and rear-side windows versus the front. Look for these in a specific section on lighting regulations in the motor-vehicles section of your annotated state code. The state regulations will likely reference and expand upon regulation No. 205 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Volvoboy wrote:
    Just been looking on the interweb there found a good artice for anybody else thinking of doing this.

Window tinting was once associated mainly with stretch limos carrying celebrities or crime bosses trying to maintain anonymity. Now it's fairly common as a factory option on many vehicles. More than just a vanity indulgence, window tint does actually serve practical purposes. It helps keep the inside of the vehicle cool so the AC doesn't have to work as hard. It protects interior vinyl, upholstery and leather from damaging ultraviolet rays. It serves to make the window more shatter proof. Finally, it serves a security function in that it makes it more difficult for would-be thieves to peruse the inside of your parked vehicle for valuables, cellular phones, radar detectors, stereo system, etc.

You may choose to have window tint professionally installed as an after-market feature, but it's also possible to install yourself. Whether you're selecting a shop to do the job professionally or doing it yourself, be aware that there is wide variation in quality of window tints. The high-performance types may eliminate as much as 99 percent of UV rays, and they may come with a lifetime warranty. Low-cost, low-quality tint generally comes with no warranty, may have a purple appearance, and is likely to bubble or fade.

Preparing the work area: One of the most troublesome factors when installing window tint is free-floating dust. Particles that get sealed between the tint and the glass are there permanently and may be a source of damage. This is a job best done in a closed, controlled area -- as dust-free as possible and away from the elements.

Tip: Wet the floor of the work area before you begin the installation. Keeping the floor surface wet will help prevent additional dust particles from being stirred up into the air.
    Materials:

Window-tinting film
    Spray bottle
    Rubber squeegee
    Single-edged razor blade
    Distilled water
    Mild soap (or mild dishwashing soap or baby shampoo)
    Lint-free cloth
    Butcher paper or craft paper
    Pencil

Make a template of the window using butcher paper. This template will later be used to cut the tint film. Roll the window down just slightly (so that you can trace the top edge) and trace the outline of the window carefully on the butcher paper to yield an accurate template. It may be helpful to use tape to hold the paper in place while tracing. Leave about an extra inch of length at the bottom of the template so that there will be enough tint film to tuck below the window gasket. Once the template is cut, double-check it against the window to make certain that it is accurate.
    For cleaning the glass, fill a spray bottle with a solution of 1/2 teaspoon of mild soap to one quart of distilled water. Wash and dry both sides of the window thoroughly.
    Clean away any remaining debris from both sides of the window by lightly scraping the glass with a razor blade. Use caution not to scratch the glass.
    Wash and dry both sides of the window again until you are certain both surfaces are completely clean. Use care to clean all the way to the edges and into the corners around the window gasket.
    Using your template as a guide, cut the window-tinting film with a utility knife (figure A). To save time, you can cut the film for two corresponding windows (e.g., driver-side front and passenger-side front) at the same time, using the same template. Just be aware of which way each piece of film is facing when you cut.
    The film comes with a clear backing on it to protect the adhesive. You'll need to pull away this backing to install the tint.

Tip: To make it easier to separate and pull back the backing, in one corner of the tint place two pieces of tape facing each other on either side of the film. Then pull the pieces of tape away from each other so that they function as pull tabs (figure B), allowing you to easily separate the backing from the film.

With the backing removed from the film, wet the adhesive surface with the soapy solution. Also wet the inside surface of the window with the same solution.
    Carefully move the film into position inside the window (figure C), being careful not to let the film get creased or doubled over onto itself. The film should adhere to the glass fairly well with the soapy solution. You may want to temporarily tape the corners for added holding while you apply the tint to the glass. Spray the film once again with soapy solution.
    Use the squeegee to remove the soapy water and bubbles from underneath the film while simultaneously smoothing the film onto the glass (figure D). Take your time and be careful and methodical for this step. Be careful not to press so hard with your squeegee that you stretch the film. Also, do not lift the film to remove bubbles. Instead, squeegee them gently to the edge and release them.
    Trim away any extra film hanging over the window edges using a new razor blade.
    Keep the windows rolled up for at least three days to allow full curing.

Important: Before considering this installation, check your state's restrictions on the degree of tint that's permitted. Also note that some states have separate regulations for the degree that's permitted on the rear and rear-side windows versus the front. Look for these in a specific section on lighting regulations in the motor-vehicles section of your annotated state code. The state regulations will likely reference and expand upon regulation No. 205 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

-VB-

that's what i meant to say:D
    make sure you put the tint on the inside as well - met a few people who put it on the outside:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

don't do it....you'll never get the professional look and it will look crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Lex Luthor wrote:
    don't do it....you'll never get the professional look and it will look crap...

Best advice. IMO without experience you can forget it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054966016&referrerid=&highlight=tinting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dales1 wrote:
    try this place Tintmaster Ireland 0862531631 they are based Near Newbridge really good got my fiesta done with them:D
    do you recommend them dales? I was thinking about going with 3M in DunLaoire but Newbridge would be a lot closer.
    Do they have varios grades to choose from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Volvoboy wrote:
    Do you think it would look ok with the sides one and the rear not?
    Car is a navy almera.
    thanks

-VB-
    Honestly? Yeah I think it would look crap. Especially from the inside if the side glass was any way dark. Get the rear done too.

Ya know i did try this about a week ago, a friends cousin asked me to do it on a 95 civic it had been broken into and gotten a replacement drivers side window, tryed it and i almost had it, i took out the window to do it layed it flat no bubbles or creases but i accidently ripped the tint, and i didnt have any more left with it being such a big window, but i'd try it again, i think people get bad results by not taking out the windows to do it.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

ohh dont do it yourself, it will come out horrible

i got my jeep last week and the back is standard and on wednesday im getting the front windows done in Tralee

Advertisement