Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underused forms of transport in gaming...

Options
  • 08-11-2006 7:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just playing Bully at the moment and one of the great things about it is that you get to use bikes and skateboards. Here are two forms of transport that are rarely used in gaming, but generally the results are excellent. In San Andreas, for example, I would rather tour the state on a pedal bike than those new fangled automotivemobiles.
    Another example is the horse. Look at the rare examples - excluding Pippa Funnel riding simulator (giggles girlishly) - that use it - SotC, Ocriana of Time etc..
    The car has had it's day. I for one am tired of racing games that only focus on the most boring, dull form of transport. Any other examples of underused gaming transporters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'm waiting with baited breath for extreme Segway racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Forklift. After the enthralling adventure that was Shenmue, I'm left gagging for more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Unicycles.
    The boxart for Unirally on SNES looked so fun!
    snesunirally.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Unicycles.
    The boxart for Unirally on SNES looked so fun!
    I really wanted to buy that just for the box art... never found out if it was any good.

Another GTA one... i always liked hopping onto the bonnets of cars and surfing around, unpredictable at best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unirally was great!

I'll give this thread two days and if Koneko doesn't say something about the tricycles in No-one lives forever i'll give up my aspirations of becoming a psychic.

We need more jet packs. Not the slow rubbish variety seen in san andreas but like the jet pask that sparkster had in rocket knight adventures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PAkzY--ck

That cabbage is fecking useless. Best game on the megadrive other than Gunstar Heroes. Which reminds me, more mine carts! Other mine cart games are Resi 4 and DMC3.

And more vic viper :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:

Which reminds me, more mine carts! Other mine cart games are Resi 4 and DMC3.

Where was the mine cart level in DMC3 :confused:

Sparkster... yes, he even had a comic.

Paper Aeroplane in Paper Mario 2 <3

Weren't mine carts the reason people started to get sick of 2D platformers?
    That and levels set on top of trains...

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    That and levels set on top of trains...
    Final Fantasy 8?

Actually... more 18-wheeler trucks needed, WOO-HAA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was a section in DMC3 were you ride along a cart type thing (not necessarily a mine cart) and enemies keep jumping onto yours from their own cart.

The mine cart and train levels were always great in the 2D games. Best ones would be, the train levels in Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corp (great boss), Einhander, Contra Shattered Soldier, Cybernator (i think) and a great modern one being the one in ZOE 2. Can't forget the great mine carts in Donkey Kong country.

People got sick of train and mine cart levels when the third rate developers started making subpar games with no originality. As can be seen in modern games like Einhander and Contra SS that a great train level can still be made.

Also people got sick of train levels in FPS games when awful developers started including train levels after Blood, Goldeneye and the originator Outlaws did some really good ones. An example would be the awful developer Raven doing the awful train level in SoF.

And nobody is sick of 2D platformers it's just that nobbody buys them since they aren't 3D and doing have a rap soundtrack. I've had more fun out of Klonoa and New mario bros. than any GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just playing Bully at the moment and one of the great things about it is that you get to use bikes and skateboards.
    In the Simpsons Arcade Game, Bart had his skateboard, both as a means of transport and a weapon.
    We need more jet packs. Not the slow rubbish variety seen in san andreas but like the jet pask that sparkster had in rocket knight adventures.
    Weren't there troopers with jet packs in one of the Red Alert variants?
    That cabbage is fecking useless. Best game on the megadrive other than Gunstar Heroes. Which reminds me, more mine carts! Other mine cart games are Resi 4 and DMC3.
    Red Alert had mine layers and Quake II had mining wagons.

Well, the new Mario is actually in 3D ;) plus, it's been top of the charts since release iirc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

They should have a the next GTA movie set in Ireland and you have a traveler gang that use horse and cart, and drive around in caravans.

I don't think theres ever been a game where you could control a car with a caravan attached or an R.V.

Also, them things where you get dragged about by people, rickshaws or something.

Wheelchairs haven't been used either have they??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Surely the first minecart levels were in the arcade version of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?
    And as regards cars and caravans there was a series of games on the amiga with caravan levels, a lot like Micromachines, written in blitz basic I think, Acid Racing or something.
    Also the Test Drive Eve of Destruction on the xbox that had you driving destruction derby cars with trailers and other cars in tow.
    Rollerskates, as opposed to blades are few and far between.
    Hanggliders, outside of the great Pilotwings and the not so great Just Cause are uncommon too.
    Ice Skates are rare, as are surf boards and submarines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Yes skateboards are cool.

OFF TOPIC: this has to be the most stupid thread I have ever seen...

Take a step back: "least used forms of transport in a game..."

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Monorails ....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    And as regards cars and caravans there was a series of games on the amiga with caravan levels, a lot like Micromachines, written in blitz basic I think, Acid Racing or something.

That was Skidmarks (might have been Skidmarks 2 actually, I don't think the first one had caravans) and it was one of my favourite amiga games ever :)
    The developer was Acid software, which I guess is where you're getting acid racing from. It let you play pong while you waited for it to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Why can't we just rexamine the ways we currently interact with transport.

GTA is the median here. Steal a bus drive it, steal a plane fly it, steal a boat sink it.

How about paying to use the bus and getting driven there or stowing away on a cargo boat. Or how about using a horse to run after a plane as it takes off grabing onto its under carraige as they retract taking the plane by stealth turning it around to fly over the airport again and parachuting back down on to your horse before riding off into the sunset.

Remember that secene in Indiana Jones where he was crawling all over the truck and then in the next film a tank, that was cool, why do we always have to drive vehicles?

Victor wrote:
    Weren't there troopers with jet packs in one of the Red Alert variants?
    C&C Red Alert 2. They were rubbish if any kind of anti-air defence was deployed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I honestly think the next GTA should be called GTAnimal.

set in medevil times robbing horses or the odd donkey maybe even a sheep or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Submarines would be pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That's all great, but nothing beats the thrill of chasing a midget mime on a unicycle.

I want to have animal transportation in a GTA. A horse would be acceptable but ideally I'm thinking a giraffe, dolphin or giant komodo dragon.

koneko wrote:
    I'm thinking a giraffe, dolphin or giant komodo dragon.

pure class

ridin' dolphin in the water = :cool:

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'll give this thread two days and if Koneko doesn't say something about the tricycles in No-one lives forever i'll give up my aspirations of becoming a psychic.
    koneko wrote:
    That's all great, but nothing beats the thrill of chasing a midget mime on a unicycle.
    crystalball.jpg
    The veil of the future pulls back. Well done Retr0.

A definite influx of magic carpets are also needed.

looks like there may be someone underneath that table pleasuring the guy in the photo probably orally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Pilotwings ftw.
    Or the rocket fox in Silicon valley.

More Rocket Foxes in Games Petition sign here:
    www.fakewebsite.com/fictionalpetition

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Robot chickens. I believe World of Warcraft is the only game which has used them as a form of transport - mechanostriders ftw!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Victor wrote:
    Monorails ....

That was my idea! I'll go with the people transport pipes in Futurama then.
    tba wrote:
    Why can't we just rexamine the ways we currently interact with transport.

GTA is the median here. Steal a bus drive it, steal a plane fly it, steal a boat sink it.

Well you can jump on trains in GTA.

If a GTA-like Dublin was ever done you have to be able to crash into the Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Robot chickens. I believe World of Warcraft is the only game which has used them as a form of transport - mechanostriders ftw!
    meh, they're just metal chocobos.

Advertisement