Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosion in Talbot St, Dublin

Options
  • 08-11-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Anyone see that explosion around 6:20pm this evening in Talbot St?

Looked like something blew up under the footpath across the road from the bank outside an internet cafe - threw some sort of manhole cover into the air....

Comments

• Sounds dangerous......was anyone hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Al Qaeda tbh...

No didn't see it, but will be listening out for the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i was walking by it around 6.35 and there was a fire truck and a few firemen standing round. saw the manhole cover thing all broken...i thought someone had fallen in!! an alleyway behind it was sealed off...nobody looked too concerned though. I did see one guy taking a picture on his phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I went buy about 7, the firemen were still there and the manhole cover was still off. It also looked like there had been a fire upstairs over the internet cafe.
    When I went by earlier at about 5.30, there were loads of people standin outside the internet cafe, the gates at the front door were closed and there were only two guys inside (owners or employees perhaps)
    It seems like they evacuated everyone for some reason but why were they still inside?!?!
    I can't find anything on the news about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

strange can't see anything from here

http://www.nci.ie/ispy/ http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/traffic_cameras/

where is big brother when you need him

does those buildings have basements, hmm must be a gas explosion to throw a manholle cover in the air and break it

you think that be great place for a pub must be other reason why its not getting re-opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I work quite close and the security guys at our building could zoom in (after the event) - it was the drain cover that was damaged alright. It seemed fairly twisted but still in place so I'm not sure what could have done that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Could've been a build of methane from the foul sewer.

Sewers can also pop their covers of there is a large build up of water. Maybe the firemen were bailing out some water?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Small, two week late update - I walk past it the next day and it was surrounded by ESB railings, so it looks like it was some sort of short with the underground electricity. It would explain why I saw a ball of fire in the ground after the explosion. Thinking back on it, it may have knocked the electricity out of the internet cafe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

It was some form of generator explosion outside the internet cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

TheBazman wrote:
    It was some form of generator explosion outside the internet cafe
    Underground one though. Bloody dangerous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement