Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bit complex. what ip address does your ripwave assign your pc now ???

the objective is to have 1 dhcp server on the network and not 2 different ones so while the netopia has to keep its own ip address of 192.168.1.254 it should stop assigning ip addresses ( turn off dhcp server on netopia so it no longer assigns settings ) and let the ripwave assign them instead ...as long as they start 192.168.1.xxx from the ripwave you should be fine .

alternatively assign ip addresses manually after you note the ripwave assigned settings , each pc MUST have the same dns settings and gateway settings as the ripwave would do it but have a unique ip address such as 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.101 etc

to find out what ripwave does NOW

run command prompt on pc

type ipconfig /all

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

so has anyone got an EXTRA one of these netopia modems they want to sell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Does anyone know if these routers support WDS and client bridge mode ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

PC World in Waterford require you to sign into a contract there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Sully wrote:
    PC World in Waterford require you to sign into a contract there and then.

Which is only valid if all the information supplied by you is correct

If you made a mistake with the name and address part then it would not go ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can they check your details or indeed is it illegal to give false information in store?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I didnt follow through with it as supplying false info on a contract would be illegal, id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Has anyone used this router as a wireless ethernet bridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You CAN use the netopia router for non-eircom and non-DSL home networks, IF you have:

Some sort of device with DCHP. Virtually all routers have this. I *think* some cable modems also do DCHP, even though they have one ethernet port.

Once you have a basic wired router/DCHP server/modem with DCHP, something like the d-link DI-604, you can plug in the netopia router and you will get wireless capability and will be able to surf the net.

The netopia box acts exactly like it were an access point when you switch off the netopia's internal DCHP server or some setting like that. Except it costs €25:) I'm using it now on a FWA internet connection by connecting it to the existing wired-only router.

Btw, I don't think that the details given out would count as a contract, unless it was a condition of purchase. Has anyone tried getting one with refusing to give out personal details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

TheDriver wrote:
    Can they check your details or indeed is it illegal to give false information in store?

Yes they can check and it's illegal. I gave false information and the Emergency Response Unit surrounded the PC World store, and using a megaphone, said: "You're surrounded. We know you're not an Eircom cutomer, you have given false information." In shock and complete embarassment, I began to leave. Then I heard, "Leave the router on the counter! Put your hands up!" I didn't even get the router! Busted! I was frisked, arrested and taken away by the Eircom BRBB (Bogus Router Buyer Bureau.) The BRBB made me surf the internet on dial-up for hours, at Eircom peak rates! Then, the worse treatment of all, they forced me to make hour long international and mobile calls on the Eircom network. I'll never forget the experience; don't do it!!

• Advertisement

They cannot check anything , give an 8 digit account number beginning with a 4 and you will be grand.

The rest can be anything you want .

Its a bloody nuisance not being able to grab 5 at a time anymore and then simply head for the till to pay in cash , all this form filling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

are these still available easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    I have one that i'm not using as I got one from eircom when i signed up with them.
    I will sell for the 25euro i paid for it + postage. I live in county clare.
    The reason I signed up with eircom and not with Esat, Imagine, perlico etc..
    was that I could not get broadband as I was on a carrier (i.e. I shared a phone line with 3 other houses). I came up with an idea one night that as my neighbour was not using his dedicated line(for broadband) I could swap my line with him. I then met a guy who works in the local exchange and he said I didn't need to ask my neighbour as eircomes new policy is "use it or lose it". He got his buddies to swap over the line and I was able to order broadband. I ordered with Eircom as I kind of feel obilged to the eircom guy and I've been told be lots of eircom technicians that if your not with eircom and your line goes faulty you are not a priority.
    PaJOE

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

I ordered with Eircom as I kind of feel obilged to the eircom guy and I've been told be lots of eircom technicians that if your not with eircom and your line goes faulty you are not a priority.
    PaJOE

Sounds like buying a mercedes but living 100 miles from the nearest garage : )

After how eircom treated me and all its shareholders i wouldnt be obliged too much ... but + can see your logic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

the corpo wrote:
    are these still available easily?

yip got one today .. and guess what got it for 9.99 too ... what a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

themonk wrote:
    yip got one today .. and guess what got it for 9.99 too ... what a bargain

Hi did you had to sign for BB with them? where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have a question for the good people here.

I have the original eircom modem (3341) and I have it set up to my liking. I am now trying to route the connection from the 3341 to the 2247 so I will have a wireless connection.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I have a question for the good people here.

I have the original eircom modem (3341) and I have it set up to my liking. I am now trying to route the connection from the 3341 to the 2247 so I will have a wireless connection.

Any ideas?
    Try turning off DHCP on the 2247 and connect it to your 3341 with the ethernet cable. The problem is it has the modem built in so it could keep looking for an internet connection on it's own WAN port and not pick it up from the 3341.
    It should really replace your existing setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

kaizersoze wrote:
    Try turning off DHCP on the 2247 and connect it to your 3341 with the ethernet cable. The problem is it has the modem built in so it could keep looking for an internet connection on it's own WAN port and not pick it up from the 3341.
    It should really replace your existing setup.

I would gladly replace it if I could figure out how to get the 2247's NAT open so I can host games on my PC. But I can't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Just so people know, these seem to have gone back up to €24.99.

Went to Blanchardstown tonight, all the ones in PC World had the €9.99 sticker torn off and the (slightly damaged) €24.99 sticker on show. Happened to head over to Dixons, same thing.

'Cept three on display at the front of the shop that still had the €9.99 tag.

They were fair enough - manager agreed to give us the pack for €9.99.

Just....just....I was so shaken, I think I may have given some of my details wrong.... like home phone number...address...name - you know, the difficult stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi guys,
    Was thinking of giving my spare to my friend who has their broadband with Perlico through the phone line. Does anyone know if this router will work?

If so, is it just the username/password we need for it to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hi guys,
    Was thinking of giving my spare to my friend who has their broadband with Perlico through the phone line. Does anyone know if this router will work?

If so, is it just the username/password we need for it to work?
    Yes, it'll work fine. Just change the login details like you said.

Deadly, will bring it up tomorrow... Now to see if the dope remembers his username and password :D

I feel a phonecall to Perlico is in order...

Just to confirm this work's fine with Perlico

It works with the following eircom, bt , digiweb, imagine, perlico , utv , ibb dsl , smart and MAYBE magnet if there is no tv package included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Is this offer still available?

A friend of mine is looking for a wireless router,he's with eircom already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Will this work with Smarts ADSL 2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Silfar

Hi there.

Sorry if I may not have found the correct thread.
    We just got broadband over eircom and of course their delivered modem.
    As you can read, everything works fine.

Now, I do know they do not wish me to configure "their" modem to my needs (e.G. adjusting ports).
    But I want to.

Does anyone have a good idea how to get to this?
    As far as I remeber they will not hand out the username and password.

Cheers,

Silfar

P.S. No, I did not get a letter with my username and password, if that should have been sent, please let me know so I can call them tomorrow from work and kick some asses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Silfar

Nevermind, just stupid me.
    Don't mind me hijacking it anyways:

How do I configurae ports correctly on the eircom "netopia" 2247NWG dsl router?
    I am already on the expert mode under "Firewall (NAT)" > Advanced.
    I just don't get what they want in addition to the port range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement