Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

BUMP- Any ideas people please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Responding to rapidly growing demand for broadband, with over 4,000 customers signing up each month - Eircom chief executive Rex Comb

I hope they are not figuring that on sales of "Broadband in a box" ;):D:D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Qwertyboy wrote:

My brother has a laptop so I was thinking could I install the zyxel router on it, then install the netopia on it using these instructions in the first posts.

My brother then would bring his laptop away leaving a configured netopia*** router for Ds/PSP and the remaining zyxel router just for my pc.

Would this work? thanks very much :cool:
    Ok, short answer, yes you could do that.
    Qwertyboy wrote:
    P.s *** Would the netopia router function normally with just the power supply cable and the internet line plugged in? -aka-(would it need to be hooked up to the laptop to work?)
    Yes, does not need a PC or Laptop connected full time.

Ethernet cards are cheap & easy to install, why not get one & just ditch the zyxel alltogether?

Thanks for your help. I dont know what an Ethernet card looks like. Could you possibly post a boxshot of one? Also would installing it require opening up the tower? Thanks very much.

Qwertyboy wrote:
    Thanks for your help. I dont know what an Ethernet card looks like. Could you possibly post a boxshot of one? Also would installing it require opening up the tower? Thanks very much.

This is what it looks like.

Yes you wll have to open up your tower to fit it but it really is a simple job.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote:
    This is what it looks like.

Yes you wll have to open up your tower to fit it but it really is a simple job.

I have a fair idea where it slots in but I dont understand how the ethernet cable will get to it after the tower is re-closed. Also are they as cheap in shops and I presume there will be different types so how do I know which to get?

Once again thanks very much

Qwertyboy wrote:
    I dont understand how the ethernet cable will get to it after the tower is re-closed.

The black rectangle on the chromed metal strip of the network card is the socket for the ethernet cable. This will be exposed at the back of your tower. (After you replace the blanking plate that's currently there.)
    Qwertyboy wrote:
    Also are they as cheap in shops and I presume there will be different types so how do I know which to get?

There a pretty standard item, PC World will probably be a bit more expensive but maybe not much after allowing for p&p. Try looking in the "Manager's Specials" you might find a cheap one there.

invest4deepvalue.com

Thanks if I go and buy one will it give a general idea of how to open the PC and remove the ??BLANKING PLATE?? in the instructions. Also does plug and play mean that once I plug it in its ready to use?
    Thanks I'm such a noob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Qwertyboy wrote:
    Thanks if I go and buy one will it give a general idea of how to open the PC and remove the ??BLANKING PLATE?? in the instructions. Also does plug and play mean that once I plug it in its ready to use?
    Thanks I'm such a noob

The blanking plate is usually held on by just 1 screw and than you slid it out.
    When you boot windows for the first time after installing the new hardware,windows should detect the needed driver and install it automatically.

The blanking plate is usually held on by just 1 screw and than you slid it out.
    When you boot windows for the first time after installing the new hardware,windows should detect the needed driver and install it automatically.
    Beautiful thanks very much people. I'll pop into town tomorrow nad get an Ethernet card. Ye have all been so helpful. I think I can handle it from here bit don't be surprised if im back lol. BTW thanks Sponge Bob-(even though your banned) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Will this work with a hsdpa data card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Is Sponge Bob banned? Why? :confused: That's a pity, him being so helpful an' nice an' all. Is it getting too strict around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Will this work with a hsdpa data card?
    No. DSL only.
    Oracle wrote:
    Is Sponge Bob banned? Why?
    Banned for a month I think for arguing with a mod or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for the info Kaizersoze, I hope Sponge Bob will be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

FFS he is one of the most helpful blokes on this board.

Mods have way too much power on boards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

I'm a bit concerned at a few mentions of poor wireless range earlier in this thread...

Have we arrived at a decision on whether the wireless capabilities are worth using or not? ;)

Should I even be considering switching to use wireless in a house with solid concrete walls, wooden floors and the client PC downstairs and prolly 20 foot as the crow flies from the router?

Woud like to chuck the nasty cable away, but will wireless work well / all all?!

TIA,

Maz

PS Nice product by the way - works sweet and simple with BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

My experience of these new Eircom Silver Netopia (2247 ??) routers is that the wireless range is much worse than that of the older 3347NWG. I had my laptop with 3 feet of it and only got 3 bars of signal on my XP laptop. The router is upstairs in the house but when downstairs I struggle to see it at all.

However, with the older 3347NWG, I can get 5 bars comfortably around the house and can see it from my neighbour across the road front door - and my router is in the back of the house !!!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

the range is poor for me compared to my older motorola ap. but i am using cheapo wireless cards in the client pcs.

wouldnt recommend it tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Righty Ho!

Pc World in Galway have another large batch of these in stock so the offer is back on. They were out of stock for a while.

Personally I find the range is OK , 30ft and a solid concrete wall , at least .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Righty Ho!

Pc World in Galway have another large batch of these in stock so the offer is back on. They were out of stock for a while.

Personally I find the range is OK , 30ft and a solid concrete wall , at least .

I have no problems with the range either. I can get a signal 50 feet away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 frank tj mackey

just wondering, we've eircom broadband, we've a netopia modem we got years ago, been using a belkin wireless router the last 2 years but availed of those netopia ones for €24.99.
    trying to set it up, do i have to hook up the wires to the old netopia broadband modem or can i just follow the instructions that came with the new netopia router?
    p.s. how do i set the wireless to private? is there a way of making your laptop pick up the signal and connecting automatically without having to enter the password or do you have to seeing as how its set to private.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frank tj mackey

sorry by the way if its straight forward, im just home from work and me and me bro wanna get the xbox live going.
    thanks dudes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

el diablo wrote:
    so does anyone know of a similar product that will work with NTL Broadband?

my modem is upstairs but I want to be able to access the internet anywhere in the house on my laptop.. thanks in advance...;)
    you need a router too to convert the one NTL public address ( 82.100. ... ) to several private addresses ( 192.168.1. ... )

Can you put two ADSL routers back to back in the same way as you can with two modems ( tricky but possible ) - and have one open and use the other as router ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

you need a router too to convert the one NTL public address ( 82.100. ... ) to several private addresses ( 192.168.1. ... )

Can you put two ADSL routers back to back in the same way as you can with two modems ( tricky but possible ) - and have one open and use the other as router ??
    thanks for the info, Capt'n. seems to be a bit complicated....:eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

el diablo wrote:
    thanks for the info, Capt'n. seems to be a bit complicated....:eek:

NTL used to supply "Netgear wgr614 v6" 54mbswireless router.
    they or their newer equivalent work anyways with no or little configuration-
    just plug it into the ntl modem ethernet socket.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

HI

Was passing by a 3g Store today and noticed that they have the price as €9.99, didn't have time to stop and check the whole ad, but does anyone know if they are talking about the same router or was it something else?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

nava wrote:
    HI

Was passing by a 3g Store today and noticed that they have the price as €9.99, didn't have time to stop and check the whole ad, but does anyone know if they are talking about the same router or was it something else?

Thanks
    They have a non wireless usb/ethernet modem for 9.99. Don't bother with the 3G stores though. They'll only sell you either modem if you sign up for Eircom BB there and then.

ozmo wrote:
    NTL used to supply "Netgear wgr614 v6" 54mbswireless router.
    they or their newer equivalent work anyways with no or little configuration-
    just plug it into the ntl modem ethernet socket.
    thanks, I'll have a look around for one of those...;)

nava wrote:
    HI

Thanks
    for NTL Broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

el diablo wrote:
    for NTL Broadband?

Hi

No it cannot be used with NTL, I thought it was the same as mention before but reduced, I just wanted to let people know about it.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement