Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Ha ha was in pc world in cork yesterday, you can now buy one of these routers for 9.99 but you have to sign up. I told him I was installing it in my sisters house and that she'd come back in to set up the account. He was reluctant but i told him my sister didn't have a clue so I'm installing it for her(nearly pissed myself cos my lie was so good).
    basically I bought myself a nice shiny router for a tenner.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Ha ha was in pc world in cork yesterday, you can now buy one of these routers for 9.99 but you have to sign up. I told him I was installing it in my sisters house and that she'd come back in to set up the account. He was reluctant but i told him my sister didn't have a clue so I'm installing it for her(nearly pissed myself cos my lie was so good).
    basically I bought myself a nice shiny router for a tenner.

How can you sleep at night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

bazery wrote:
    basically I bought myself a nice shiny router for a tenner.:D

:D:D my and my buddy were in there yesterday aswell, tried it but they werent having it, so we went into currys next door. Went up to the desk and they said we would have to sign up aswell, but we said we just wanted what came in the box. He just said fair enough. 2 routers for €20, best baragin ive ever gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is it the nameless Eircom boxes you pick up that says about the months free rental and free router etc etc? Are they all the same i.e. netopia wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

PCW have now reduced the price to €9.99. But now the customer must sign up with eircom at time of the purchase of the router now. It is the silver netopia wireless router.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What details did they require before they would give you the €10 router ????

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Sponge Bob wrote:
    What details did they require before they would give you the €10 router ????

They ask for the phone number that broadband is going to be installed on, so they can test it. Not sure what else they want from ya. Just go into currys and chance your arm, say your just looking for what comes in the box, the worst they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'd say you have to put an order in for broadband with Eircom. When they were €25 Harvey Norman were looking for me to put in an order, luckily PC World next door only checked to see if your line was capable of broadband (i.e. broaband test on eircom.ie)

Brianb8802 wrote:
    They ask for the phone number that broadband is going to be installed on, so they can test it. Not sure what else they want from ya. Just go into currys and chance your arm, say your just looking for what comes in the box, the worst they can say is no.

No that is not the procedure now. They use to ask for a phone no. to test if your line was could recieve ADSL. Quite frankly, they didn't give a boll!x if your line was capable or not.

Now though the procedure has changed there for it is nessecary to fill in an order form before the purchase of the router. Its an Eircom Order form which contains personal details etc.. and they even may ask for proof of address. This was originally harvey norman's practice but now it is mandatory for PCW to do this.

Reason for changing procedure; too many people have purchased eircom routers without signing up to eircoms contract.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

HungryJoey wrote:
    too many people have purchased eircom routers without signing up to eircoms contract.

Hj
    Thats shocking.:eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

HungryJoey wrote:
    No that is not the procedure now. They use to ask for a phone no. to test if your line was could recieve ADSL. Quite frankly, they didn't give a boll!x if your line was capable or not.

Now though the procedure has changed there for it is nessecary to fill in an order form before the purchase of the router. Its an Eircom Order form which contains personal details etc.. and they even may ask for proof of address. This was originally harvey norman's practice but now it is mandatory for PCW to do this.

Reason for changing procedure; too many people have purchased eircom routers without signing up to eircoms contract.

Hj

well, i got one of them in limerick a week ago (pcworld), and no one ask for anything...

kaizersoze wrote:
    Thats shocking.:eek: :D

I concur :eek: . BTW an 'account number' is 8 digits long and begins with a 4 , just so ye know . An extra €15 off for a bit of form filling is not too onerous I trust kaizersoze :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got one in PCW in Cork today and in all the chat I was bombarding the cashier with, she forgot to get my details, oh dear! Interestingly she asked did I require a VAT receipt!
    Question, I have BT, what would happen if i plugged my eircom router in without changing settings, would it not work or work and get a bill from eircom?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    An extra €15 off for a bit of form filling is not too onerous I trust kaizersoze :p
    Depends on the quantities involved.:)
    TheDriver wrote:
    Question, I have BT, what would happen if i plugged my eircom router in without changing settings, would it not work or work and get a bill from eircom?
    It won't work until you enter your BT user/pass. Thats the only setting you need to change.
    Connect it up and go to http://192.168.1.254. Delete the Eircom user/pass and enter youe BT ones. Click connect and you're in.

not the INITIAL username and pass which is on the default page, leave them alone and go to the wan settings page inside

seeing as its BT , also add the following dns servers 208.67.222.222 on the same page as username and password as well as another BT dns like 194.125.2.240

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nava wrote:
    Hi

No it cannot be used with NTL, I thought it was the same as mention before but reduced, I just wanted to let people know about it.

Regards
    You can use it as an access point / switch if you already have a router

you could probably use it in bridge mode if only one or two pc's and you are sure they have their own working firewalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Must try and blag myself one in the next few days ,need one to use as an ethernet to wireless adapter .:D

I'm sure if you tried over the next few days you could get away with not having to fill in an order form as not all stores have been briefed obviously on the new procedure. Or probably the more obvious reason; they're muppets :D

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

^^
    There's even staff in stores that have been briefed that haven't been told :D feckin ridiculous. Still, if you can get one, a 10euro wireless router is the dogs bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

Thanks folks for that tip. Got one in PC World Sligo yesterday €9.99. Lady took some vital statistics name, address, phone email no but no form filling. Not sure if I didn't make a little mistake or two in some of the details supplied! She said new procedure they enter all the details on computer from the store rather than depend on people to ring the 1800 number on the box!

Have seen similar posts but still confused. I'm with BT, using a Zyxel USB router. Now, I only need wireless to use my PDA & PSP and I don't think I have a spare PCI slot, well not without losing say TV Tuner or something else. Can I connect the Netopia to the Zyxel with an ethernet cable and change some settings to allow PDA access the internet and yet let the Zyxel access the internet as normal? I use a neat utility Zyxmon which is very quick to drop and connect my connection to get a new IP address for those Rapidshare downloads. I would'nt like to lose that feature!

I will probably be upgrading the pc sometime so its not a problem for now and I enjoyed the challenge of getting one over on Eircom after the shares let me down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Tut, tut U2Flyboy, you really shouldn't be making mistakes on those forms, be more careful next time!! :) Welcome to the boards by the way!
    There needs to be a poll about how many of these routers each person has bought. Something like 1-5 routers, 5-10 routers, more than 10 routers, sackful of routers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I really, really want to buy one of these but I'm afraid to :) They'd see the guilt through my easy-to-read face in a heartbeat.. I'm feeling sick just thinking about it lol :) I can't even imagine how I'd bring the subject up.. "so.. I was thinking of taking one of the broadband packages.. my name, you say? Seymour Butts.. Yes, it is a funny name for a girl, I had cruel parents.."

Oracle wrote:
    Tut, tut U2Flyboy, you really shouldn't be making mistakes on those forms, be more careful next time!! :) Welcome to the boards by the way!
    There needs to be a poll about how many of these routers each person has bought. Something like 1-5 routers, 5-10 routers, more than 10 routers, sackful of routers. :D
    I think I fit into the 'sack ful' catagory.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Well one for sale if you want it .I cant use it with ntl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

PMing you (don't want to hijack thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

does anyone know of a wireless router that will work with NTL broadband?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

el diablo wrote:
    does anyone know of a wireless router that will work with NTL broadband?

Dlink Di 524 , has the facility to clone mac address if required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

formatman wrote:
    Dlink Di 524 , has the facility to clone mac address if required
    thanks, I'll have a look for one of those. would I get one in PC World?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I bought this router and I couldn't get it to work with Smart Broadband, but I tried again using these instructions and it works:

1. Telnet to the modem\router telnet 192.168.1.254
    2. Username \ Passwords if required
    3. Configure
    4. dmt type
    5. set adsl2+
    6. up
    7. up (back at top level)
    8. ppp
    9. set
    10. Keep hitting enter until port-authentication appears, then change to
    11. pap-only
    12. Hit enter a few times.
    13. Exit
    14. restart (Telnet session finishes...)
    15. Wait a minute or two until the "Internet" light turns green...
    16. Surf from the garden (weather permitting!)

It might be a good idea to update the routers firmware first from the Netopia web site. Happy surfing. :)

Update: You also need to put your Smart user name and password into the router's web interface as set out in the instructions, and adjust these settings, if necessary: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/bbsettings.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Bought this boy for a tenner and trying to get it working with my ripwave - can I mod the eircom box or firmware to fool it into thinking the internet comes via one of the 4 ports (via RJ45) rather than the DSL slot ?

cheers
    fullirish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement