Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer tries to reverse transaction

Options
  • 08-11-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi to all,

I sold my car (didn't use for half-year, so it didn't have NCT or tax on it) for 1000e last week. Now the buyer calls me and tries to reverse transaction (i.e. return the car) on the basis that it will be expensive to put car through the NCT, otherwise he will bring the case against me to the court.
    Can there be anything against me, i never claimed the car will pass NCT and was selling it as it was.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

There's nothing he can do. He should have got a professional to checkout the car before he handed over the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

caveat emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 werewolf

tnx for your replies, i was just wondering about the following article

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA16Y1980S13.html
    http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/motor.cfm

N.B. If the car was sold in an unroadworthy state, without the consumer being informed, there may be a breach of both the Sale of Goods & Supply Services Act, 1980 and the Traffic Road Act and the consumer could report this to Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

werewolf wrote:
    N.B. If the car was sold in an unroadworthy state, without the consumer being informed, there may be a breach of both the Sale of Goods & Supply Services Act, 1980 and the Traffic Road Act and the consumer could report this to Gardai.

It costs the same to put a car through the NCT, roadworthy or not.
    Fun begins if it fails to pass tests..

Are you involved in the motor trade?

If not & you are a regular consumer (ie car owner), how could you be expected to know if the car was fully roadworthy or not?
    As long as you replied truthfully to any questions asked about the car's history, you are not expected to give a rundown on every repair job carried out in the past. Maybe there are/were problems you did not know about (previous owners not being up front).

Aside from obvious things like tyres, exhaust noise, lights, wipers, etc; a significant number of NCT tests involve measuring emissions or wear limits on mechanical couplings. Not something the average Joe can do at home, therefore until it's tested, who knows how much it will cost to put right & get passed by the NCT.

Buyer must have looked at the car, seen any obvious defects, taken a test drive, did the usual tyre kicking, etc. If more was needed, he should have brough at mechanic to look at it.

Car was "sold as seen", so what more could be done.

Sounds like he took it home, then got the "OMG, you know about all the problems those cars have" speil from some well meaning buddy.

Maybe he saw a better deal elsewhere.

I think (IMHO) he's got no legal comeback even if it falls apart in the next few weeks.

Totally different story if it was purchased from the motor trade.

Advertisement