Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Vodafone Network?

• 08-11-2006 9:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just wondering is anybody else who is on the Vodafone network having any trouble with the reception on their mobile?

I havent had reception for nearly two days now and my brother has been having trouble with the reception on his as well.

Anybody know whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH with redirect.
    Please, post in the appropriate fora. Discover Boards.ie. ¬_¬

mine's grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yep, Pighead hasn't been able to get a signal since Monday. The chicks must be having panic attacks at this stage.

Thought for a while there my Sim Card was fcuked as the battery won't fully charge either. Strange indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Where are you having this problem? That would kinda help people to answer your question. The whole network across the entire country is never going to go down for two days :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

i would never be able to last 2 days without a phone. why donot you ask in a vodafone shop what the problem is as it wouldnot last 2 days or they would loose a huge amount of business.
    or the other option is to change networks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pighead wrote:
    Yep, Pighead hasn't been able to get a signal since Monday. The chicks must be having panic attacks at this stage.

Thought for a while there my Sim Card was fcuked as the battery won't fully charge either. Strange indeed.

That is exactly the same problem im having. My battery wont fully charge either and it dies very fast. I also have had no signal since Monday. I dont understandthe whole battery thing!

Is there a Vodafone IRL logo on your screen or is it just blank?

Do you have any bars of reception at all?

How old is your SIM card?

When was the last time you topped up?

What happens what you try to make a call/send a text?

Have you tried powering on and off your phone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is there a Vodafone IRL logo on your screen or is it just blank?
    No there isnt, only thing it says is Eircell. When I search for available Networks it sometimes says Network is busy but it occasionally gives me the list of available Networks. If I pick Vodafone it says "registering" on my screen for about a minute and then it just fails.
    Do you have any bars of reception at all?

No I have none at all.
    How old is your SIM card?

Its a few years old at this stage. If im honest I couldnt give you an exact amount.
    When was the last time you topped up?

Last Week
    What happens what you try to make a call/send a text?

Message just fails and saves to drafts. When try make a call it just ays "call failed".
    Have you tried powering on and off your phone?

Yes a good few times. It again does the whole "registering" thing when I turn it on. Twice when I did this I got reception for about 5 seconds and lost it again.

Ok, that helps a lot.

Eircell is the same as Vodafone, it's just the old name for the network and many older SIM cards still display the Eircell logo.

Can you try your SIM in another Vodafone mobile and see if it works in that? Try to make a call/send a text and let me know what happens and what error message you get.

Did this just start happening suddenly or did you turn your phone off and when you put it back on it had no reception? Have you had any problems before?

Also, did you request to be ported to another network or did you get a new phone and keep your old SIM?

Pigheads in the Phibsboro area. Work in Blanch and it doesn't work their either. To be honest I'd put it down to a dodgy handset/sim but i'm thinking otherwise now since Kingp35 has said hes having the same issues. Strange.

• Advertisement

Can you try your SIM in another Vodafone mobile and see if it works in that? Try to make a call/send a text and let me know what happens and what error message you get.

I cant at the moment because im at home nby myself so no other phone to try it with. I would have to wait until tomorroe to try this.
    Did this just start happening suddenly or did you turn your phone off and when you put it back on it had no reception? Have you had any problems before?

My phone died on Sunday night and I put in to charge. When I turned it on Monday morning I had no reception. The Battery then died later that day despite the fact that my battery usually lasts about 3 days or more.
    Also, did you request to be ported to another network or did you get a new phone and keep your old SIM?

Well I got this phone last Christmas and kept my old sim card. I have always been on the vodafone network.

Do you think it could be a problem with the Sim Card in that its too old? Its strange though that myself and Pighead are getting the exact same problems, including he battery problem, at the exact same time.

Thanks for your help by the way

Oh one other thing.

After I go to the list of availabe Networks and it lets me choose Vodafone and after the "registering" process it also says "No Service" on my phone above where it says Eircell.

When Pighead manually tries to choose a Network it gives me the list of providers and I pick Vodafone. A message comes up stating that "I've chosen my Home Provider"

The bars come on the screen seemingly indicating I've got a full signal. However after a minute the bars disappear and I'm back to square 1. Just rang Vodafone and they told me that their cells are perfect in the Phibsboro and Blanch areas. He reckons it has to be my Handset. Pigheads not convinced.

Pighead wrote:
    Just rang Vodafone and they told me that their cells are perfect in the Phibsboro and Blanch areas. He reckons it has to be my Handset. Pigheads not convinced.

Supposedly fine in the Dalkey area as well but both me and my brother are geting the same problems as you Pighead. That would be one huge coincidence that the three of our phones are getting the exact same problems at the exact same time. I really doubt its your handset thats the problem.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Do you think it could be a problem with the Sim Card in that its too old? Its strange though that myself and Pighead are getting the exact same problems, including he battery problem, at the exact same time.
    Well that's why I was asking you to try the SIM in another phone :)
    That would determine for sure whether or not it was a SIM or handset problem.

If your SIM works in another phone, it is a handset problem. If your phone is within warranty you can sent it for repair free of charge. Just call into one of the shops and they'll send it off for you.

If your SIM doesn't work in another phone, it's a SIM problem. SIM cards only have a general lifespan of a couple of years, after which time they just pack in through wear. You will need a SIM change.

Even if it's a problem with your phone, I would very strongly advise that you still go ahead with a SIM change. Your SIM will eventually die anyway, at which point you'll lose all your contacts, etc. so it's best to just pre-empt this while you have a chance. You can also get a SIM change free of charge and keep your number if you explain in a store that it's because it's giving you trouble. You'll need to bring some form of photo ID just so they can prove you're the owner. They should be able to save all your contacts for you when processing the SIM change.

As for the battery, batteries also only have a general lifespan of a year or so. Mobile phone batteries need to be allowed to run down completely at least once a week to keep them at their best, and should never be left on charge after they are already fully charged. Sounds to me like you've just worn your battery out. You should also be able to replace that in one of the shops, or if they don't have the particular battery you need they can point you in the right direction.

Well that's why I was asking you to try the SIM in another phone :)
    That would determine for sure whether or not it was a SIM or handset problem.

If your SIM works in another phone, it is a handset problem. If your phone is within warranty you can sent it for repair free of charge. Just call into one of the shops and they'll send it off for you.

If your SIM doesn't work in another phone, it's a SIM problem. SIM cards only have a general lifespan of a couple of years, after which time they just pack in through wear. You will need a SIM change.

Even if it's a problem with your phone, I would very strongly advise that you still go ahead with a SIM change. Your SIM will eventually die anyway, at which point you'll lose all your contacts, etc. so it's best to just pre-empt this while you have a chance. You can also get a SIM change free of charge and keep your number if you explain in a store that it's because it's giving you trouble. You'll need to bring some form of photo ID just so they can prove you're the owner. They should be able to save all your contacts for you when processing the SIM change.

As for the battery, batteries also only have a general lifespan of a year or so. Mobile phone batteries need to be allowed to run down completely at least once a week to keep them at their best, and should never be left on charge after they are already fully charged. Sounds to me like you've just worn your battery out. You should also be able to replace that in one of the shops, or if they don't have the particular battery you need they can point you in the right direction.

Yeah but do you not think its a bit strange that the three of us have been experiencing the exact same problem for the exact same length of time after no previous issues beforehand?

Kingp35 and Pighead, there are no coverage problems in any of the areas you have mentioned. If you notice that more of your friends/family in the same area are starting to have the same problem then it would be wise to notify Vodafone, as they will be able to look into it further if more than a select few are experiencing the same difficulty.

It's no huge coincidence that it's happening to you all at once, A huge proportion of the Irish population are mobile users, so you can imagine that this kind of thing is a fairly common occurence.

Pighead wrote:
    Yeah but do you not think its a bit strange that the three of us have been experiencing the exact same problem for the exact same length of time after no previous issues beforehand?
    No. It happens all the time.

EDIT: Plus you menitoned it's happening in both Blanch and Phibsboro, there is no network problem in either of these areas and it is EXTREMELY unlikely that cells would be down for days at a time in both places at once.

The thing about this is though that as with any battery it should be a gradual process where the battery gets worse. Last week my battery would last for at least three days. Now it lasts for about 8 hours or so and my actual handset seems to refuse to fully charge it.

In that case then it's almost definitely going to be a handset problem.
    Still try your SIM in another phone though, just to be sure. It may be that you need a SIM change as well. Take your phone into one of the stores and explain the problem, if you only got it last Christmas it's still within the warranty. They'll send it off for repair.

• Advertisement

No. It happens all the time.

EDIT: Plus you menitoned it's happening in both Blanch and Phibsboro, there is no network problem in either of these areas and it is EXTREMELY unlikely that cells would be down for days at a time in both places at once.
    Fair enough. Pighead will take it into a Vodafone shop tomorrow. Thanks for your help buddy.

Yeah thanks mate. Ill take it into a shop and tell them whats going on.

No probs, hope you both get it sorted. Let me know what happens!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Strange, just reading this now and I had all the above mentioned issues with reception on my fone.
    It just started happening all of a sudden and was quite annoying.
    I did a few de-reg (i think) from the network and that did not solve the prob.
    after a while cust care told me that it was a handset issue and i would have to drop it in to get fixed.
    My warranty was just up that week so I would have to pay for it :mad:
    But when I went into the voda store the guy there gave me a new free sim card and I have not had any probs since:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

my receptions been ****e since i switched to vodafone, i have to call credit info to open up a connection so that i can recieve messages half the time.. man i wish i stayed with o2

mik_da_man wrote:
    But when I went into the voda store the guy there gave me a new free sim card and I have not had any probs since:D
    Snap. Pighead went into the Vodafone shop on Henry St today and was given a spanking new Free Sim card. Problem fixed. Cheers Bounty.

So it looks as if its the Sim Card then.

Pighead is your battery fixed as well now?

Kingp35 wrote:
    So it looks as if its the Sim Card then.

Pighead is your battery fixed as well now?
    Not certain but I'm guessing it is. Charged it all night and had gone down to 2 bars by the time I went to the Vodafone shop. Its stayed at 2 bars since I put the new Sim in though so its probably grand.

Glad to hear Pighead is now able to continue stalking unsuspecting young ladies problem free!

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Not certain but I'm guessing it is. Charged it all night and had gone down to 2 bars by the time I went to the Vodafone shop. Its stayed at 2 bars since I put the new Sim in though so its probably grand.

Good stuff. Ill drop into the vodafone store tomorrow

Advertisement