Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 speed limit

Options
  • 08-11-2006 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Am I on crack or something, or does no-one obey the 60kph limit on the M50 at the moment? I was on it last night and felt I was driving uncomfortably slow for other cars if I was doing 80, with plenty of people whizzing by at 100+ I estimate.

The road is still has two lanes, is the 60 limit too slow? It felt like it was in light traffic that 80 or even 100 would be more appropriate, if it weren't for the areas where the white merge triangles used to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

On a German autobahn a works site like that (and many with narrow lanes) would have an 80 limit with 60 at lane shift sections.

60 is very conservative IMHO. They even apply it on sections with no works and no cones.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Regularly find the same thing, but it seems 80 to 90 is the accepted speed so I guess no one is being stopped for breaking 60:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007266&referrerid=&highlight=M50+speed+limit%22

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Am I on crack or something, or does no-one obey the 60kph limit on the M50 at the moment? I was on it last night and felt I was driving uncomfortably slow for other cars if I was doing 80, with plenty of people whizzing by at 100+ I estimate.

The road is still has two lanes, is the 60 limit too slow? It felt like it was in light traffic that 80 or even 100 would be more appropriate, if it weren't for the areas where the white merge triangles used to be.

I know what you mean, I was trying to keep to the 60kph myself limit last Friday lunchtime for a few miles before it became bumper to bumper again. When traffic did thin out lots of vehicles were doing about 80 - 100kph.

Maybe they should introduce different speed limits at different times - say 60kph at peak times when there actually are road works happening and 80kph at off peak times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

either enforce the 60Kph or change the sign :mad:
    unenforced laws that are blatently disregarded is just training people to speed, and lets not forget that some of the drivers are now learning bad habbits before their test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

They can't up it. The EU says there are too many bends in that particular southern section hence the 100kp/h limit and sanctions on the gov to keep it that way. Tbh I do believe it's safe to drive at 120kh/h on that bit of road except perhaps one bend and defiately not if it's raining but the traffic tends to go slower when the rain comes out anyway bar a few idiots.

All in all a 100km/h limit for just that bend would be a tad silly imo so why not just keep it the way it is. I mean they aren't exactly sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

layke - i think they are talking about the roadworks areas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think it needs a 160-180 limit in places with the full 3 lanes open.

80 is as slow as anyone should be travelling on a dual carriageway, sleet, rain, roadworks or snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

160-180 would be perfect indeed for the three lanes of the N7 coming into the red cow, it's a beautiful road really !

That bit someone mentioned above southbound after tallaght I figured was some sort of Eu legislation. You can see the same on autobahns where they switch to 130 and then 100 for bends of probably some calculated camber or turn or something.

It's actually quite difficult to drive at 60 on the road works section, as you can get flashes and so on from people behind.

What's the time frame on this improvement. If it's like the N7 when finished it iwll be very nice assumign a return to 120kph (+?) - any websites that deal with these roadworks and monitor the progress or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Should be delivered on budget just in time to bring young baby Byrne home from the Rotunda for grandad Bertie to see him/her;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As was pointed out above unrealistically low speed limits are generally exceeded and result in bad habits.

I'm reminded of getting a lift with someone a few years ago. They kept to the 60MPH speed limit on the national roads most of the time, likewise with the standard urban 30MPH limits but they hit 80MPH on a long dual lane section with an unrealistically low 30MPH limit. People routinely pass 80KPH on that section of road and you really are crawling by comparison if you keep to the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ninty9er wrote:
    I think it needs a 160-180 limit in places with the full 3 lanes open.
    Can't be done. To fit the fourth (weaving) lane, the other lanes are being made slightly narrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Did my best to obey this speed limit yesterday, and every single car/truck/whatever, overtook me. To be honest they can overtake/beep/flash all they want, it's not a secret that people are being done on that stretch for breaking the limit, not that I agree with it in the slightest, but I'd rather be late than to have a few penalty points, if other people feel differently about that , then they are free to break the limit.

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Sandwich wrote:
    Regularly find the same thing, but it seems 80 to 90 is the accepted speed so I guess no one is being stopped for breaking 60:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007266&referrerid=&highlight=M50+speed+limit%22
    i have seen the white camera van parked at the ballymount flyover, so some people might have got caught going over 60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Im not going to lie, I totally ignored the limit last night. Its way to slow. Only when I saw men working on the road behind the barriers did I slow down to the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was over in the UK a few weeks ago, and on one stretch of the M6 where there were roadworks with a contraflow and a 40mph limit, they had those new "average speed" cameras. They were very prominent and well signposted and absolutely everybody stuck to exactly 40mph for the entire duration of the roadworks. Traffic flowed a lot more easily too as a result.

Thing is, if there's just a warning that there 'might' be a speed camera there, people tend to risk it on the assumption that if they see it they'll be able to slam on the brakes and slow down in time. But with these new average speed cameras, there's basically no escape. They really do seem to work, both at roadworks and other locations I've seen hem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

either enforce the 60Kph or change the sign :mad:
    unenforced laws that are blatently disregarded is just training people to speed, and lets not forget that some of the drivers are now learning bad habbits before their test.

Provisional driver shouldn't be there in the first place. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

AFAIK (from 3 airport taxi drives since they started the M50 works and seen it myself at least twice), there's an absolute sh1tload of M50 drivers (incl. taxis) that have been barrel-fished by the GATSO van parked in the middle of the road works over the past couple of months. Points and fines galore, and I'm surprised there hasn't yet been much public stuff about it (not that I'd complain about it myself - for once, it's 60kph for a reason).

ambro25 wrote:
    Points and fines galore, and I'm surprised there hasn't yet been much public stuff about it (not that I'd complain about it myself - for once, it's 60kph for a reason).

Much public stuff or not, points and fines galore is still great news. The media like bad news not good news stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Alun wrote:
    I was over in the UK a few weeks ago, and on one stretch of the M6 where there were roadworks with a contraflow and a 40mph limit, they had those new "average speed" cameras. They were very prominent and well signposted and absolutely everybody stuck to exactly 40mph for the entire duration of the roadworks. Traffic flowed a lot more easily too as a result.

Thing is, if there's just a warning that there 'might' be a speed camera there, people tend to risk it on the assumption that if they see it they'll be able to slam on the brakes and slow down in time. But with these new average speed cameras, there's basically no escape. They really do seem to work, both at roadworks and other locations I've seen hem too.
    What is an 'average speed camera'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

Apparently, you can evade it by changing lanes between cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Reads your number plate as you enter a stretch of road, and another camera at the end of a stretch of road reads your plate again. From this, knowing the distance between cameras and the time you took to travel between the two cameras and work out if you where driving over the speed limit.
    Great idea in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A system where a camera takes a pic of a vehicles' license. A camera further down the road takes another pic. With the known distance between the cameras and the recorded times of taking the pictures, the system can calculate the average speed of the vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

overdriver wrote:
    http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

Apparently, you can evade it by changing lanes between cameras.
    Seems highly unlikely to me. I rather suspect they thought of that one :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Imagine for a monent two cameras one mile apart on a 60mph stretch of road.

They both use OCR technology to recognise your numberplate and are linked by computer. If the second camera sees your number plate less than one minute after the first one your average speed is over 60mph.

IIRC there are a pair in Newry and heard something about Malahide.

Are they the ones that I noticed hanging over the road the other day north of Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Alun wrote:
    Seems highly unlikely to me. I rather suspect they thought of that one :)

Seemingly not.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370879-details/Drivers+can+avoid+speeding+tickets...by+changing+lanes/article.do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

One aspect that I find amusing - many drivers who break the limit and get caught by the GATSO in the 60 km/h section don't even drive up to the limit in the 100 and 120 km/h sections (even when safe/possible to do so) A few times I have had people zoom by me in the 60 km/h section only for me to catch up with and pass them after the roadworks.

Also, it's not just GATSO vans that lurk in the roadworks section. I have seen laser speed checks too and have heard reports of unmarked cars mingling in the traffic.

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote:

It's not a real technical limitation of the system though, only some silly Home Office rule that prevents the cameras on two lanes from 'talking to each other'. How utterly ridiculous !

Advertisement