Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do i petition to get broadband enabled in my area?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I've moved back to westmeath after living in dublin for the last 10 years and i'd like to know where i can find information on when upgrades will be done on my line for broadband. I live approx 4 miles from the moate exchange and 8 from the athlone one and bb is impossible to get in my area for the following reasons/excuses:

line not upgraded/too far from exchange (depending on which €ircon customer careless rep i get)

wireless blackspot (service not rolled out/geographical location)

If i knew that sometime in the near future that bb would be an option i could live with that....but i cant get info anywhere!

if i got enough locals interested and presented data to "powers that be" might that work? there are plenty new houses going up in my area which would lead me to believe that €ircon will have to install/update lines

I just dont know where to go and who to ask to get a straight answer!

dial up is killing me!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Check if Smart are in the Moate exchange - if the eircon reason is "too far from exchange), Smart are using newer technology (ADSL 2) and might be able to swing some sort of a reasonable speed for the 4 miles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Who do i petition to get broadband enabled in my area?
    The Pope. He's the only one that pays any attention to petitions.

eircom are running a business. If delivering broadband to you and your neighbours will make them more money than it will cost them to deliver, then you'll get broadband from them. It delivering broadband to you and your neighbours will never make money for eircom then all the petitions in the world won't make any difference.

As soon as anyone hears about a wireless provider with time to sit around and wait for a bunch of people to sign a petition to let them know that there's demand in an area that they didn't know about, we'll be sure to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you had 500 names (in small area) and an upfront contribution to install of €200 each (= €100,000) then maybe some ISP *might* take notice of the petition. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

www.lastmile.ie do wireless broadband in Moate. Here is what it says on their website:

Moate (Knockdomny)
    Covers areas including :

* Athlone
    * Ballymore
    * Horseleap
    * Moate
    * Rosemount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thanks for the replies so far, forgive me for saying, as i havent been keeping up to date with all the isps for a while, but hasnt smart gone bust/in trouble?

I had heard of lastmile, and have been at that site before, but rather than mail them, i decided to phone them. Every occasion that i've rang that number, its been constantly "engaged". That didnt instill me with much confidence so i never went any further, that was a month ago, mind you i've a feeling due to my location, i dont have line of site to the knockdomny mast, even though it is spitting distance.

So if i'm right these are my options:

1. wait
    2. find someone worth talking to in eircom and tell them the potential is there for business in my area.
    3. try smart (if they still exist)
    4. try lastmile (ditto, and if they do it probably wont work)
    5. face facts and get used to a youtube/file sharing/online gaming-less life.

:confused:

• Advertisement

There are other options than Smart or Eircom or lastmile. But contrary to DMCR stated opionion there is no shortage of demand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You send an application for some 3.5ghz spectrum into Comreg and centre the 15km cell on _that_ very large mast not far from Mount Temple or on the big hill wnw of Moate . You live in eithe rCastledaly or Mount Temple .

Make the application out as coming from OOOOH lets see BT or France Telcom or Deutsche Telecom or China Netcom signed by a Mr Fu Kwuu of course.

This application will mysteriously come to eircoms attention within 48 hours.

Some weeks later your exchange or local lines will equally mysteriously get DSL enabled and it not even on the list to be done , just like that .

BTW , if its Mount Temple you forgot to tell everybody on here that RTE Radio 2 blares out of your phone when you pick it up, and WHY !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Was thinking about doing the exact same in my area, I live in Macroom, half the town has broadband with eircom and the other half, which Im on, doesnt!

One side of the town is on the exchange and the other side, which is separated by a bridge doesnt!

Was wondering if I got a petition signed by the residents on my side would eircom do something about it!?

a petition sent to eircom will be shredded on the spot. Is Permanet not there or close to yiz ???

if ye simply paid permanent €10k to apply for a 3.5Ghz licence for yeer part of macroom then eircom would mysteriously start to work like I said.

The threat of competition is the only thing that influences eircom

Thats that.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    a petition sent to eircom will be shredded on the spot. Is Permanet not there or close to yiz ???

if ye simply paid permanent €10k to apply for a 3.5Ghz licence for yeer part of macroom then eircom would mysteriously start to work like I said.

The threat of competition is the only thing that influences eircom

Thats that.

Never heard of permanet! Just checked their site and Im in one of their areas!

Thanks a million sponge bob, will give them a buzz now, I know of a good few ppl who might use them! :)

• Advertisement

They work very well but you must be within 15km as the crow flies of Caherbarnagh (centre of that circle) and the circle is actually too big they only service the inner HALF of that.

Give them your petition instead with phone numbers on it .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They work very well but you must be within 15km as the crow flies of Caherbarnagh (centre of that circle) and the circle is actually too big they only service the inner HALF of that.

Give them your petition instead with phone numbers on it .

They're not sure if Im in their range, said they'd get back to me...

Fingers crossed, thanks again sponge bob!

they also have a licence pending ? in millstreet, are you max 15km away with line of sight .

Rapidbroadband.ie are also expanding in your general direction see

http://www.rapidbroadband.ie/coverage_map_large.jpg

Finally and not least, Digital Forge are expanding in your general direction as well.

http://www.digitalforge.ie/coverage.html

People in rual Ireland should support and encourage their local WISP rather than waste time and effort sending begging letters to eircom who simply do not give a sh1t about us save to charge the highest line rental on the planet for a sub standard piece of crumbling copper and never have cared and never will.

I am unaware of what these latter services are like , you will need to enquire locally or ask around here in a thread on the isp or on this other board .

HTH and good luck down there.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    they also have a licence pending ? in millstreet, are you max 15km away with line of sight .

Rapidbroadband.ie are also expanding in your general direction see

http://www.rapidbroadband.ie/coverage_map_large.jpg

Finally and not least, Digital Forge are expanding in your general direction as well.

http://www.digitalforge.ie/coverage.html

People in rual Ireland should support and encourage their local WISP rather than waste time and effort sending begging letters to eircom who simply do not give a sh1t about us save to charge the highest line rental on the planet for a sub standard piece of crumbling copper and never have cared and never will.

I am unaware of what these latter services are like , you will need to enquire locally or ask around here in a thread on the isp or on this other board .

HTH and good luck down there.

They just rang me back, Im not covered eventhough Im only about 17 kms from the centre of that circle on their site!

Will check out those sites you mentioned now, thanks man......

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You send an application for some 3.5ghz spectrum into Comreg and centre the 15km cell on _that_ very large mast not far from Mount Temple or on the big hill wnw of Moate . You live in eithe rCastledaly or Mount Temple .

Make the application out as coming from OOOOH lets see BT or France Telcom or Deutsche Telecom or China Netcom signed by a Mr Fu Kwuu of course.

This application will mysteriously come to eircoms attention within 48 hours.

Some weeks later your exchange or local lines will equally mysteriously get DSL enabled and it not even on the list to be done , just like that .

BTW , if its Mount Temple you forgot to tell everybody on here that RTE Radio 2 blares out of your phone when you pick it up, and WHY !!!!

Indeed i do live in castledaly, and the radio 2 thing in mount temple was something i remember as a kid! never knew it was still happening after all these years, and i never found out why either!

as for the rest of your post re: 1.21gigawatts or whatever, well that just went waaaay over my head.

Indeed i do live in castledaly, and the radio 2 thing in mount temple was something i remember as a kid! never knew it was still happening after all these years, and i never found out why either!
    Still there in the late 1990s. The reason is a certain very large Medium Wave Transmitter between Mount Temple and the Exchange in Athlone which was stil there last time I looked.

Digiweb Metro are in Athlone now , did you try them at all ???

I rang Digiweb, rep said to wait a few weeks until they go live and process their apps for moate and see how sucessful they are.

rang lastmile, they said that their base station in knockdomny is "full" and that i'd have to go on a "queue" to get their service, and it may not even work due to line of sight issues.

I reckon i'll have to fire up my chainsaw and cut down some trees.

Isn't 2FM on MW closed now? Only RTE at 567Khz. Though there are extensive DRM plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

I rang Digiweb, rep said to wait a few weeks until they go live and process their apps for moate and see how sucessful they are.

rang lastmile, they said that their base station in knockdomny is "full" and that i'd have to go on a "queue" to get their service, and it may not even work due to line of sight issues.

I reckon i'll have to fire up my chainsaw and cut down some trees.

ONLY GO WITH LAST MILE IF YOU ARE REALLY REALLY BADLEY STUCK FOR BB,
    im with last mile over a year and the base station im off ain't even half full and my download speed regularly drops to 12 kbps, there might be another solution a company called Ice comms broadband are expanding into the midlands they look fairly good ( could be wrong ) it doesnt show it on there coverage map yet but i rang them today and mullingar is going live next week and tullamore 2 weeks after that

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I agree wholeheartedly with pm only opt for lastmile if your in a real jam.

Imo hang on for digiweb & see what they can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I've moved back to westmeath after living in dublin for the last 10 years and i'd like to know where i can find information on when upgrades will be done on my line for broadband. I live approx 4 miles from the moate exchange and 8 from the athlone one and bb is impossible to get in my area for the following reasons/excuses:

line not upgraded/too far from exchange (depending on which €ircon customer careless rep i get)

wireless blackspot (service not rolled out/geographical location)

If i knew that sometime in the near future that bb would be an option i could live with that....but i cant get info anywhere!

if i got enough locals interested and presented data to "powers that be" might that work? there are plenty new houses going up in my area which would lead me to believe that €ircon will have to install/update lines

I just dont know where to go and who to ask to get a straight answer!

dial up is killing me!!!!!

At the recent FF Ard Fheis, the Taoiseach announced:

"On broadband, we will roll out access to every part of Ireland and will shortly announce plans to bring provision to the 10 to 15% of areas still without coverage. At a time of change and convergence in communications between voice, data and multimedia service, we will look to the future and seize the opportunity of Next Generation Networks to ensure that Ireland is connected."

If you believe that you beleive in Tooth Fairy too. Without DSL is closer to twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

as for the rest of your post re: 1.21gigawatts or whatever, well that just went waaaay over my head.

Lo 120,
    I live in Castledaly to and I have Last Mile BB, Been with them a long time now and trust me. It is fine if you have kids that just use Bebo and all you do is Surf the WWW. But 90% of the time it is terrible for downloading (even worse that a 128k ISDN at times) and as for gaming :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    It started off great at first but then just got worse and worse. I complained about it and was told there was nothing they could do and they even offered me my €€€'s back. It is good for the kids and at time’s faster and cheaper than ISDN AND it is the only option of BB I have so I am stuck with them and they know that. (Eircom all over again). Try this link http://http://www.broadband.gov.ie/ Click on Find BB in your area. Enlarge the map to show where you live and then click on Identify Providers and then click on your area. It will show you a list of all the ISP’s available to you in your area. At present I have only 1, http://www.lastmile.ie but a mile and a half up the road from me is:

http://www.btireland.ie

http://dsl.digiweb.ie

http://www.eircom.ie

http://www.imagine.ie

http://www.cinergi.ie

http://www.perlico.com

Try it.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

All those you listed bar lastmile are bitstream resellers. If eircom can't provide you with bb over dsl neither will they.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Hi folks

Similar situation here just outside Birr. Im only 2km from Birr but because Im on the Crinkle exchange (which no one ever heard of, its prob a couple of poles down the road, actually it is..) I cant get it. Even though people who live in Crinkle village (I dont) are NOT on Crinkle exchange, but Birr! And they Can get it!! Oh well. And Crinkle exchange has only 150 houses so prob will never be enabled.

Might get Lastmile from Kinnitty mts but they charge €30 to test. Also dont like the reports here!

FWI in Ballina http://www.fwi.ie/ are very helpful and want to do a site survey to see will I get it. Has anyone dealt with them?

Finally Im not sure i understand BB speeds. Right now Im connected on dialup at 50.6 kbps. How could BB be only 12kbps or am I reading that right? I was in a house the other night that have Lastmile and it was 10kbps......?????

Thanks

h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

hawthorn wrote:
    Hi folks

Similar situation here just outside Birr. Im only 2km from Birr but because Im on the Crinkle exchange (which no one ever heard of, its prob a couple of poles down the road, actually it is..) I cant get it. Even though people who live in Crinkle village (I dont) are NOT on Crinkle exchange, but Birr! And they Can get it!! Oh well. And Crinkle exchange has only 150 houses so prob will never be enabled.

Might get Lastmile from Kinnitty mts but they charge €30 to test. Also dont like the reports here!

FWI in Ballina http://www.fwi.ie/ are very helpful and want to do a site survey to see will I get it. Has anyone dealt with them?

Finally Im not sure i understand BB speeds. Right now Im connected on dialup at 50.6 kbps. How could BB be only 12kbps or am I reading that right? I was in a house the other night that have Lastmile and it was 10kbps......?????

Thanks

h

are you sure it wasn't 10mbps, mind you i have last mile and regularly get bad speeds like 10kbps but tbh the lowest its gone in the last month is 20 kbps

Advertisement