Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Views of the Enterprise-D?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

What would your favourite exterior scene of the Enterprise D be? It can be either from the TNG series or Star Trek: Generations.

My top 5 would be (In no order):

1- Opening Scene in "Encounter at Farpoint" when the Shot opens with the camera below the ship and it climbs up over the top.

2- Closing Scene in "A fistful of Data's" when the Enterprise is leaving orbit passing close to the left of the camera - then a new shot opens of it going away into the Sun. A class shot and the "western" music as well really makes it.

3- Data's Dream in "Birthright" Part 1 when Data leaves the ship and flies around before arriving back onto the bridge.

4- The underneath shot of the Enterprise, saucer section appears first then the drive section and then the camera starts to climb up around the back of the ship. A really unusal view and only ever used a few times in episodes.

5- To finish where I started! The closing scene in "All Good Things" when the camera pans out of Riker's Quarters, pulls back and the Enterprise glides off into a nearby Nebula. I was 13 when I saw that and I remember crying cos that was the end of TNG! Still brings a tear to my eye today if I see it on TV.

"The Sky's the limit"

Well thats my top 5 so anybody care to add their favourite shots of the Enterprise-D?

Enterprise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The enterprise-D in the final few seconds of star trek enterprise with picard saying the "these are the voyages" lines

Fist full of date's is the best tbh enterprise flying off into the sunset really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

My goodness this is geeky :D

The only one that really sticks out in my mind is approaching the space station (I think) in Generations, with the glow of the sun reflecting off the saucer section.

The ship looked fantastic throughout that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Goodshape wrote:
    My goodness this is geeky :D

So? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I Had never relay thought bout it, the scenes i like the most was the 1st saucer seperation and also the view of the enterprise "hanging" in space when it was stuck in time not so much that fact it was interacting with a romulan ship i just thought it was a great view

Another view which i loved was DS9 as the camera pans away in the final episode *sob*

Ah yes User that was a great shot. I think all the endings of Star Trek series were great except TOS - Cos I have never seen the last esp so ain't got a clue and Voyager. Thought the ending in Voyager could have been a lot better - the ending was very abrupt in my view.

• Advertisement

Ye actually i have to say i have always wondered where they planning an eight season and they didn't get it so they had to wrap up in just a few episodes?

No DS9, VOY and ENT (*Cough*) were all planned as 7 seasons.

TNG when it started was lets see how it goes - only around the 4th season it was decided to make it 7 seasons long.

Speaking of the E-D star trek generations is on the sci fi channel at the moment :)

bizmark wrote:
    Speaking of the E-D star trek generations is on the sci fi channel at the moment :)
    Yea, I do be watching it :D

Is it just me though, or does Sci-Fi cut these films to shreds? I'm not really paying too much attention to it (awful film anyway :p) but I was sure Rikers speech to Worf at the start was longer (at that silly overblown promotion ceremony), among other things.

(noticed lots of little scenes missing from ST:4 a couple of weeks ago too).

They better not cut data saying "oh ****" best part of the film :p

• Advertisement

Ye i rememer seing it in the cinima thinking it was agreat then it comes outon BBC and heres me thinkin oh greati can eccord this movie without adds saves me buying it.... No they cut data :(

Enterprise, TrekCore TNG Screencap Gallery, you will like that - lots of exterioir shots of the Enterprise D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

always thought the D was kinda ugly much preffered the E
    and the refit 1701 no bloody A, B, C or D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I would go with enterprise's shot number 5. Very cinematic. Number 1 shot in second place.
    There was another usual and impressive AFAICR external shot in an ep where Q is training a new junior Q girl. The two of them stand outside on the dorsal side of the engineering hull between the nacelles to admire the view.

Nitpick: How come you never saw the nacelles from the E's conference room windows?

My favourite Trek TV ship shots are the opening credits of Voyager (shame about every other aspect of Voyager though :D )

Enterprise, TrekCore TNG Screencap Gallery, you will like that - lots of exterioir shots of the Enterprise D.
    Great site! Thanks for sharing.

There was another usual and impressive AFAICR external shot in an ep where Q is training a new junior Q girl. The two of them stand outside on the dorsal side of the engineering hull between the nacelles to admire the view.

Great site - again thanks for the link.

This is the scene Johnny refers to http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=131&pos=218

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

question, whenever you get people walking around the exterior of the Enterprise, its always way too small, why? To elaborate, q and the trainee q are way too big in comparison to the Enterprise D for it to be "the size of a small city" as it was once described. Also in Star Trek 1 when they walk out on the hull theyre too big relative to the ship if its to be a big as we're led to believe from the interior shots. (yes I know this is uber geeky):rolleyes:

Well, Q gets away with it because he's, like, magic and stuff (but yea, that scene still annoys me a bit).

Was it really that out of proportion in ST:1? Don't really remember, but I think I would had it been all that bad. The original Enterprise (and the A) was a good deal smaller than the D. Looked OK in First Contact too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Mine has to be when the borg cut a section out of the saucer section and removed it with the tractor beam. You could see a cross section of the decks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Very similar to this, But cant find the original picture

320x240.jpg

• Advertisement

This is it here:

Link to TrekCore

This is it here:

Link to TrekCore
    Uber cool. One of the best eps ever IMHO. It was almost a relaunch of TNG in a darker, more interesting direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

yar, one the best in the series, brilliant scriptwriting, qs lines to Picard at the end really summed up what it could be like to really explore the cosmos while injecting some realism into it-(federation got its ass kicked yuh!). Was just watching the really crap episode with parasites yesterday, the borg were such a better enemy. I think it marked the point where the series abadoned most of its cheesiness.

Yeah! Arguably it was where they also abandoned much of the by-then-elderly Gene Roddenberrys' influence.

Advertisement