Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth's Magnetic Field

Options
  • 09-11-2006 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Could the fact that the Earth's magnetic field is [theoretically] currently undergoing a 'flip' be contributing to Global Warming? When magnetic fields are in the process of flipping pockets are occasionally left through which radiation from the sun could penetrate the Earth causing a 'warming' effect...

...right? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Kind of but they would have known about this for sure as when an igneous rock forms whichever way the magnetic field is its imprinted into the rock. They then would be able to corrolate that with its age and corresponding climate for that time. But we are experiencing something very draamatic in a decade which is a bit too extreme to be related to earths magnetic field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hmmm... I heard briefly before about inferring the direction of past magnetic fields from old rocks but I never related it to this. I suppose you're right though - Good answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

The CLOUD project currently being carried out in CERN is looking at cosmic rays from solar activity and impact on cloud formation. They have described changes in the earths magnetic field as having an apparent effect on climate, but I don’t think they are referring to a pole flip.
    However there is clear evidence of longer-term and unexplained changes both in the Sun’s and in the Earth’s magnetic behaviours and these, in turn, seem to have had long-term effects on the Earth’s climate.

http://cloud.web.cern.ch/cloud/documents_cloud/cloud_proposal.pdf

...Global 'dimming', right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

................it could be!

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I saw a documentary on Global Dimming on Discovery and it seemed similar to what is contained in that report.

...I wonder if Michael Jackson was seeing into the future or something when he wrote 'Earth Song'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I did a college report on global dimming and it doesnt seem to be that much of an issue anymore as cfcs are banned and this was the main cause . Could go into more detail but meh!!!

Advertisement