Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

World's fastest road legal car is a........

Options
  • 09-11-2006 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

......1972 Vauxhall Victor!

I found this on YouTube, it apprently has 2,200 bhp and can do 0-60mph in one second!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxfbxGz1u4

Makes a Bugatti Veyron look like a Ford Fiesta in comparison.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fair play to the him, but 0-60mph in 1 second? Total BS tbh :rolleyes:

Unless one resorts to serious fireworks like that US dude that launched himself into a mountain range :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe he has a flux capacitor.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

bazz26 wrote:
    Maybe he has a flux capacitor.:)

0-1960:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theres no way the laws of physics would allow any conventionally powered car do 0-60 in 1 second on those tyres. Perhaps strapped down onto a dyno in ideal conditions he could start thinking about replicating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm a bit skeptical about those speeds myself.

0 - 60mph = 0 - 96km/h

Required acceleration: 96000ms^2

About 9790 G's

Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:

0 - 60mph = 0 - 96km/h

About 9790 G's

Please.
    96km/h = 96000m/s = 26.6m/s = 2.7g, still enough to black out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

2.7G is nowhere near enough to blackout. Especially over 1 second(nor does it seem high enough for 0-96kph in 1 sec, but I cant do the maths). Think car/rail crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Fair play to him, he's obviously insane/passionate, he's spent £100k on a Victor and clearly loves it....If I'd spent that much time in Wolverhampton I'd want a 2200bhp Victor to help me forget :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

fluffer wrote:
    2.7G is nowhere near enough to blackout. Especially over 1 second(nor does it seem high enough for 0-96kph in 1 sec, but I cant do the maths). Think car/rail crash.

96 km/h = 96,000 m/h = 26.666m/s = 2.72G. Think slamming on the ABS brakes at 60mph on a dry road.

(Victor was right, he just put an s in where there should have been a h.)

fluffer wrote:
    Think car/rail crash.
    Assuming the car crumples about a metre, and the train doesn't move noticeably thats going from 26.6m/s to 0m/s (forward) in about 0.0375s = 711m/s/s = 72g

Although you may bounce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

In the video you can see that it is running on large slick(ish) drag tryes. It did the standing quarter in 7.8 seconds. For it power it could be running better times, maybe into the 6s for the standing quarter

For reference the Veryron will do 0-60 in 2.6s and will do it standing quarter in 10.5

For other reference a top fuel dragster will do 0-100kmph in 0.5s take another 0.3s to hit 100 and by about 4.5s will be at over 400kmph. These guys are running about 8000hp and generate almost 5.5G

0-60mph in 1s is altogether believable

In fact take a look at this celica drag car accelerate of the line. Its using a built supra engine Frankly its ridiculous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWlXaioyEM&mode=related&search=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Its using a built supra engine Frankly its ridiculous
    Fantastic! It's like it's on a catapult...

Thats slightly cheating. The car is being held back to it can go to full power before moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

seamus wrote:

0 - 60mph = 0 - 96km/h

About 9790 G's

Please.
    I think you forgot to convert to seconds. It's 96000m/hr, not second.

also, I thing 8G is blackout territory. You need a suit for anything over that to be sustained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

not road legal either

steve06 wrote:
    not road legal either

I think you will find it is. Did you even watch the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its an interesting car but you cannot compare it to the Bugatti simply because the maintenance needed is horrific by comparison.

2.7G is nowhere near enough to blackout. I've flown in aerobatic planes pulling anything from 4 to 8G with no problems. The plane was certified for 10!

Most roadcars pull .7G max under braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eddy-336

Veyron this Veyron that! blah blah f***ing blah!! y the compare the Veyron 2 that Vaux?? The Barabus TKR kicks Veyrons ass!!! plus it looks de nuts!!!

eddy-336 wrote:
    Veyron this Veyron that! blah blah f***ing blah!! y the compare the Veyron 2 that Vaux?? The Barabus TKR kicks Veyrons ass!!! plus it looks de nuts!!!

You are not on a mobile phone. Try typing full words...

The veyron is so special becuase the designers were given a shape, a bhp figure 1000bhp, and a desired top speed 400km/h. They had to build the car around these things, a nearly impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ronoc wrote:
    You are not on a mobile phone. Try typing full words...

The veyron is so special becuase the designers were given a shape, a bhp figure 1000bhp, and a desired top speed 400km/h. They had to build the car around these things, a nearly impossible task.
    Agreed!

The enginnering that went into the veyron was a first. 2200hp is dragster terretory and i think is stupid putting into a crap car anyway. How fast does that 2200hp car go anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

wonder if this is road legal ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvvQQomg5gk

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gurgle wrote:
    96 km/h = 96,000 m/h = 26.666m/s = 2.72G. Think slamming on the ABS brakes at 60mph on a dry road.
    Ah, I knew I missed something. Seemed a *tad* high. Damn late nights. 96km/s is a little different. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Plug wrote:
    2200hp is dragster terretory and i think is stupid putting into a crap car anyway.
    Why is it a crap car? What's a not crap car in your opinion?

2.7G is nowhere near enough to blackout. I've flown in aerobatic planes pulling anything from 4 to 8G with no problems.
    Sure, with training and a flightsuit. Many people will black out for a few seconds at 3-4g.
    The plane was certified for 10!
    People break after ten. :eek:

ronoc wrote:
    steve06 wrote:
    not road legal either
    I think you will find it is. Did you even watch the video?
    Are you allowed fix retraining hooks to the public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Sure, with training and a flightsuit. Many people will black out for a few seconds at 3-4g.

No suits are worn in aerobatic planes. Jetfighters and suchlike, yes suits are worn. But no suits are worn in competition. 3-4G would need to be sustained for 30 secs for someone to blackout, even then im doubtful.
    People break after ten.

Not true. The plane's stuctual limit is 10G, after that you are taking a chance. Bear in mind that fighter planes can go as far as 15G.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Strongest g-forces survived by humans

Voluntarily: Colonel John Stapp in 1954 sustained 46.2 g in a rocket sled, while conducting research on the effects of human deceleration. See Martin Voshell (2004), 'High Acceleration and the Human Body'.

Involuntarily: Formula One race car driver David Purley survived an estimated 179.8 g in 1977 when he decelerated from 172 km·h−1 (107 mph) to 0 in a distance of 66 cm (26 inches) after his throttle got stuck wide open and he hit a wall.[1] http://www.hypertextbook.com/physics/mechanics/acceleration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Victor wrote:
    Are you allowed fix retraining hooks to the public road?
    Where did "retraining hooks" come into all this?
    I've never heard of such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Victor wrote:

People break after ten. :eek:

The US air force carried out a study. Don't have links sorry!!

With out suits most men blacked out between 4-5G's

Women however managed between 5-6. (Although they couldn't shoot straight!!). Apparently the artery that carries blood to the brain is shorter in women and enable them to sustain high G forces longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

SouperComputer

Not true. The plane's stuctual limit is 10G, after that you are taking a chance. Bear in mind that fighter planes can go as far as 15G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Strongest g-forces survived by humans

Voluntarily: Colonel John Stapp in 1954 sustained 46.2 g in a rocket sled, while conducting research on the effects of human deceleration. See Martin Voshell (2004), 'High Acceleration and the Human Body'.

i saw that on a discovery programme a while back, didn't he have massive njuries after it, all of his jopints had been dilocated, retinas detached from his eyes, things like that?!?

Apparently the artery that carries blood to the brain is shorter in women and enable them to sustain high G forces longer.

whereas us men have two brains to feed!!!

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement