Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time dwinkies...

• 09-11-2006 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,535 ✭✭✭✭

No, not the alcoholic type...

Here I sit at PC at 1.03am sipping tea and putting off sleepie-time... Yes, I know my own fault and bad choice of drink but... what else is there? I've always had insomnia, but what do people take to bed with them? Don't want to get depend too much on alochol, don't like hot chocolate, fizzies are out....

Suggestions...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have the flu so i'm going to bed with a Lemsip...

... sorts the men from the boys! *

* that one's for Ruu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Don't want to get depend too much on alochol, don't like hot chocolate, fizzies are out....

Suggestions...?

Well, all theres left is juices,water or milk then?

I drink loads of tea, always have a cup just before bed too. Occasionally have a hot chocolate on a cold night. We've some Aero chocolate drink in the cupboard too atm, might give it a try before bed tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Apparently there are chemicals in milk that help relaxation and sleep.
    My grand aunt (who's dead a few years now) always horrified me as a kid down the sticks when she'd drink a mug of hot milk and dip bread in it as her supper every evening.
    Not something I'd be into myself as I tend to avoid milk except a tiny splash in tea, but if you can stomach milk maybe it's one for you to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Herbal tea! Try the camomile honey and vanilla. Its a good one to start on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I concur.

Camomile and honey tea is a most relaxing sup before bedtime, or in the middle of the night, if you can't sleep.

Cheap and readily available in most healthshops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Probably very bad for me but if I can't sleep I sometimes drink a lemsip to knock me out.. works every time :D although I'm sure when I really do need it it won't work, but thats what max strength are for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Vanilla milk (milk with a drop of vanilla essence) or cinnamon milk (milk heated with a stick of cinnamon and a little sugar). Or just hot milk! and a biscuit, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OK I know it's a women's drink but what about Horlicks? Can't beat that malty goodness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'll second Horlicks (from a woman's point of view! :)) and also warm milk with little bit of honey though I prefer these kind of drinks more for winter nights. In milder weather I would go for camomile or lemon balm tea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I love hot Ribena or hot orange drink, before bed or when I'm feeling sick.

If I'm feeling restless at night I'll go for either a herbal tea (I like Tranquility from that range that comes in mainly black boxes) or a mug of hot milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think I've done terrible things to my sleep cycle... I work weird hours, but seem to function better this way. Basically, I try and organise my life so that when I'm tired, I sleep, and when I'm not, I don't. Sounds good, but note at this stage I've been up since 3.30am and I'll probably go back to bed in a while and sleep until the early afternoon.

I'll usually have a cup of tea around 11pm if I'm working late. I like herbal tea during the day, as an alternative way to keep fluids up if I get bored drinking water, but only the strong blackcurrant or raspberry teas.

If I'm trying to put myself to sleep it would have to be something milky - hot milk with hazlenut syrup is a good one (you can buy those syrups for flavouring coffee - they're great with hot milk) or a hot chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I usually have a glass of milk before bed.

Advertisement