Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arming the Gardai?

Options
  • 09-11-2006 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

First off this may not be the appropriate forum and maybe a mod could move it if it isnt??
    I read today that The Tanaiste was calling for rank and file gardai to be armed. This comment was in response to rising gun crime. However Mr McDowell maintained that the gardai would not become a regurarly armed force as, im paraphrasing, "it wouldnt contribute positively, would damage their credibility" and "the Gardai already have an armed wing/unit the ERU so arming rank and file gardai was not neccessary."

My own thoughts is that the ERU are not sufficiently trained (obviously NOT their fault rather the justice Minister and by association the government) in the use of firearms, so arming the already underfunded, undertrained force would be unwise move. IMO The only thing more dangerous than someone with a firearm is some who cant use it properly!! I do believe eventually the Gardai will be armed, i believe that is inevitable!! However given the current state of the force it shouldnt happen now.

Comments

Better off without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

newby.204 wrote:
    First off this may not be the appropriate forim and maybe a mod could move it if it isnt??
    I read today that The Tanaiste was calling for rank and file gardai to be armed. This comment was in response to rising gun crime. However Mr McDowell maintained that the gardai would not become a regurarly armed force as, im paraphrasing, "it wouldnt contribute positively, would damage their credibility" and "the Gardai already have an armed wing/unit the ERU so arming rank and file gardai was not neccessary."

so who does he want armed?

If the want to arm the specific gang units maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why do you say that they aren't sufficiently trained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

newby.204 wrote:
    the Gardai already have an armed wing/unit the ERU so arming rank and file gardai was not neccessary.

My own thoughts is that the ERU are not sufficiently trained (obviously their fault rather the justice Minister and by association the government) in the use of firearms
    tbh, I think the ERU have demonstrated repeatedly that they are very well trained. There have been a few cases where they have used 'lethal force' and not one of them imo was a bad decision.
    newby.204 wrote:
    arming the already underfunded, undertrained force would be unwise move.
    Thats a bit unfair. I have never had reason to believe the Gardai are undertrained. Underfunded? yes from the point of view that there isn't enough money to pay enough gardai but they have the vehicles they need, and the weapons where appropiate.

In a nutshell - I think the structure of the force is well thought out. I always found it intimidating to see armed police on the street in other countries, I wouldn't like to see it here. When an armed unit is required, they are readily available.

The fewer guns on the street the better.

Advertisement