Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop repair woes

• 09-11-2006 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

So some might remember the thread I posted a few months back about using my laptop stateside which progressed into my display being fubard.

Well upon getting home in Sept, the problem remained so I sent my laptop off for repair under my insurance I took out all of 3 years ago.

Got it back two weeks later and it wasn't of merchantable quality; read parts of the LHS of my keyboard didn't work, my volume scroll wheel didn't work, and there was a huge warp in the case where i put my left hand.

So I rang CC the day it was returned and organized a second pick up.

Two weeks later, ie today, I get it back.

I'm down 256RAM according to My Computer properties, dxdiag and Nod32 system info. :mad:

CPU-Z tells me there's 512 there, 256 in both slots, but my bios is only reading 256 :(

Spent 10 mins on the foen with CC who escalated the problem for me and I'm to expect a call tomorrow to sort out something.

Has anybody had any experience with something liek this happening?

I've been without a laptop for 4 weeks at this stage and I told the guy I just cannot do without it for another 2 weeks.

4th year of college and fyp and all that.

Should I expect some sort of compo like a free RAM upgrade to 1 gig or summet?

I've bent over backwards already with their ineptitude wrt repairing my laptop twice and I feel like they owe me now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I reckon so (and if they don't offer it, then do ask), sounds like they messed you around enough.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 packie

might be daft as you may already have checked

if 512 is showing as 2 256,s but my computer is only showing 256, go down to bios setup and check if you have shared video, and see what it is set to if you do , eg 64 128 256, as if it is this will eat into your 512, but setting it back to 64 will bring your ram back up to 492/496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

There's no bios option for shared memory.

It's a mobilty9000 64meg card.

Besides, prior to it going away initially, it was registering 512, no more, no less.

No call today :( Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

So got a call back from a super on friday and I was able to bring my laptop to pcworld in LIM.

In the mean time..my laptop somehow began reading 512Ram :-/

Only got round to doing it today tho and a tech reseated the ram and on booting up, it only read 256.

His diagnosis, dodgy ram stick. I'm ringing tomorrow and I won't be in the best of humor at all.

Sick to the back bloody teeth with this crap.

I'm not leaving it till they send me 2 gig sticks for this.

As it stands now, since I got home, my laptop is reading 512. ffs

Advertisement