Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Router Problem

Options
  • 09-11-2006 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Out of the blue I can't check my broadband use (with bt) or access the router settings. Everything is working fine, but I like to have some idea of how much I'm downloading. I'm reluctant to reset the router in case I would still be unable to access the setting and my port forwarding would be screwed up. Any ideas?
    Thanks -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Have you tried giving it a reboot?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Rebooting your router will not reset your port forwarding.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Thanks.
    Rebooted.
    Didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Out of the blue I can't check my broadband use (with bt) or access the router settings.
    Well these two things are unrelated. The BB usage is checked on a website, can't remember the address now. You'll need your username and password to check it. The router settings are at http://192.168.1.1.

My old Zyxel router stopped accepting config connections after I had it about two years, just like your's seems to be doing now. I could still telnet onto it, just couldn't access it via browser. Try to telnet on by running telnet 192.168.1.1 in a cmd window. You don't get all the config options in telnet though.

That's the odd thing - I know my user name and password and it doesn't work for me.

I'll try the other suggestion, but first. What's cmd? How do u run telnet?

I'm a bit dimmer than usual 'cos I've got a flu virus. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

try default password in case the router *got* reset.
    admin/1234

also check menu 24 when you telnet in as you can turn on/off local and remote access over telnet/http/console etc..

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's the odd thing - I know my user name and password and it doesn't work for me.

I'll try the other suggestion, but first. What's cmd? How do u run telnet?

I'm a bit dimmer than usual 'cos I've got a flu virus. Thanks!
    cmd is the command (DOS) prompt on Windows XP or 2000. You can get it up by going Start --> Run and enter cmd in the box. Once there just type
    telnet 192.168.1.1
    and it'll ask for the admin password for the router. Default password is 1234 unless you've changed it at some point and username is admin if it asks, but I don't think it does. It won't be your BT login and password.

If you're not on Windows (Linux for example) then telnet should work from a command window (xterm or similar) just the same.

Those Zyxel routers are good, but I've read that they have problems and I've seen this one myself. My solution was to replace it with the other one I had. BT may replace yours if it's broken, but they might not if they're under no obligation to. If none of the above works then try ringing their tech support line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Telnet worked fine for me last night. Seems Zyxels have a habit of just suddenly ceasing to accept input.

Thanks - that worked fine. I was worried about not being to access the NAT settings.

Still can't check my usage, but maybe im better not knowing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

My Zyxel lasted 6 hours and when reset ceased to function- I binned it!!!! Bought a netgear range max and now laughing ever since evenm it it cost me 120 euro ! Pity some service providers provide 2nd rate kit!

• Advertisement
Advertisement