Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail messages arriving in Inbox

Options
  • 09-11-2006 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

How does Gmail after revieving am email display it in the column on the left straight away when it is recieved. If you send an email to yourself (from another account) straight away the new emails number (Inbox(2)) on gmail get incremented by one (Inbox(3)).

Is this due to a refresh of a small frame or an AJAX command which check for new email every few seconds, or is this due to somehow the server contacting the browser after the pages is loaded to notify it of an update?

Is it at all possible for a server to contact the browser after a page has loaded? Or does the server always have to be called by the browser

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you look at the source code at all?

A server doesn't contact a browser. The browser is the one that makes contact.
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

kbannon wrote:
    Did you look at the source code at all?
    Yea had a look at the source code.

Complicated Javascript baffles me! Have no idea where it calls the auto-refresh or where it mentions the number of seconds between refreshes.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

its all done with AJAX, gmail is probably one of the best examples (IMO) of what can be done with AJAX. My personal favourite is when i start typing an email address the autocomplete appears saving me lots of time and spelling mistakes.

Advertisement