Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservative Democrats...

Options
  • 09-11-2006 10:45am

...keep hearing about these right wing Democrats and a move towards the centre/right.

I guess this means Democrats who are against gun control, pro-life, anti stem cell research etc.

Anyone know who are these Democrats and what are the issues that make them Conservative?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Conor74 wrote:
    ...keep hearing about these right wing Democrats and a move towards the centre/right.

I guess this means Democrats who are against gun control, pro-life, anti stem cell research etc.

Anyone know who are these Democrats and what are the issues that make them Conservative?

Google Leiberman.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

Harold Ford FTW, has a disturbing love for George Bush

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Conor74 wrote:

At present a Democrat that is still backing the Iraq war (like Liebermann) would be seen as conservative, gun control is also an issue, although I think there are far fewer pro-life and anti-stem cell Dems (and there are probably a few pro-choice, pro-stem cell research Reps too, so it's pretty balanced there).

They could also be shifting to the right economically, with some Dems opposed to tax hikes etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The 'Conservative Democrats', who I've also heard described as 'Inner West' democrats are certainly the reason that the Democrats are in power. It's not because of Hillary, Pelosi, Schumer, Kennedy et al. They're safely in their districts. By way of example, look at the two 'clincher' senate seats: Tester and Webb in MT and VA. Both are rated "A" by the NRA.

Of the other four senate wins, the only place where an anti-gun candidate beat a pro-gun one to take it over was Missouri. Many of the other seats in the Inner West regions, such as New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada et al, are held by pro-gun, some are even anti-abortion democrats. In 1994, Clinton blamed the loss on the NRA. Why? Because a lot of people in fairly conservative states were pissed that the 'elite left' passed a gun ban. And there went the 'front-line' Democrat representatives onto the street. Gore couldn't hold his home state, firearms being a clincher issue.

Of course, Flogen is quite correct, there are other examples of where the Inner West democrats don't toe the official line drawn by the leadership, be it economic, foreign or social policy. I just focus on the firearms because it's a personal issue, but it is an indicator of the two tiers in the Democratic party.

It's similar to the moderate Republicans, notably McCain in Congress or Arnie at the state level. There are almost three parties in our two-party system. The hard-line Ds and Rs, and the moderates in the middle.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Isnt it that each party has its conservative, liberal, and moderate wings?

A conservative democrat is a democrat with conservative views. Hillary Clinton tries to posture as one but no one really buys into it.

I dont think the dems would stand a chance without them. East Coast liberal democrats are just not in touch with the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

By way of example, look at the two 'clincher' senate seats: Tester and Webb in MT and VA. Both are rated "A" by the NRA.

Sorry, I've seen you mention this before and was wondering where to read up about it; I assume the NRA rated each election candidate in each state, giving them a result based on how gun-friendly they were (A obviously being very)... can't see anything about it on the NRA site though, is it something they only gave out to members?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Bob Casey, who took Rick Santorum's Senate seat is a very conservative Democrat. His victory gives Pennsylvania the unusual situation of being represented in the Senate by a pro-life Democrat and a pro-choice Republican (Arlen Spectre).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

flogen wrote:
    I assume the NRA rated each election candidate in each state, giving them a result based on how gun-friendly they were (A obviously being very)... can't see anything about it on the NRA site though, is it something they only gave out to members?

Not at all, I'm not a member. At least, I don't think I am. (I might have been 'free registered' when I signed up for a discount card at my local shooting store though, but I've never received any literature or emails).

It's on the website, one of the links up top is for Politics, then the last option of the dropdown menu is 'NRA VIF' or some such. It brings you to a map of all fifty states, click on the state, and you'll see the rating given to each candidate. Not just for national elections, but for state and city elections, and judges/sheriffs. the best rating you can get is an "A+"

It's commonly assumed that the NRA is a Republican body. It's not, it just happens that it supports Republicans because they're the ones that tend to receive the good ratings. The "Inner West" Democrats being the notable, and evidently victorious, exception.

NTM

Advertisement