Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entrepreneurship - Sean Combs aka Diddy

Options
  • 09-11-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Sean Combs / Diddy - Entrepreneur
    Not sure if I should put this in business or music.

I am writing a piece on Diddy and what makes him an entrepreneur.

Just wondering if anyone has any interesting facts about him and his business ventures?

What do you think makes him an entrepreneur?

What makes a successful entrepreneur in general?

Do you think it was luck that got him where he is today or sheer determination?

Is Sean Combs an Entrepreneur? 4 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    fintanUndeadBlack_Couchsokitume san 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

It was the fat fella getting killed that did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

No
    here would be a good place to start but try using some better sources than Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff_Daddy

A lot of people think he came from the ghetto etc. he was actually well educated and went to university. Hes smarter than your average rapper and is a business man first musician second. He uses his fame to launch other products and diversifies himself. He is a brand in himself and he cashes in on this very cleverly.

What makes him an entrepreneur? His drive and determination/ability to take risks/ leadership/ all the usual traits of an entreprenuer can be easily applied to him.

What makes a successful entreprenuer in general? Certain key traits you will find anywhere when u look up the definition of an entrepreneur!

Luck or determination? 90 per cent determination, although it is true that when BIG was killed he went up big time in the music industry. Although it was drive and determination that made him an already established rapper (thats hard to say since I think hes brutal!) to get him in the place he was in before BIG got shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

No
    yeah he did have a tough early life growing up in Harlem and his dad was murdered but his mother moved them out of Harlem and worked 3 jobs to put him through private school.

He even went to university to study business admin...prob where he got a lot of his entrepreneurial skills....

I think its amazing he worked his way up from work experience in Uptown Records and then was made Director of A&R and and then Vice President within a year....not many who can say that...

But you'd be right saying it was Biggie's death that really launched him on the world stage...he now however makes more money with his business ventures than with his music career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I am skeptical of his entrepreneurial skills,he was in the right place at the right time,from the point of view of rap going mainstream.Most of his subsequent sucesses seem more like "Krustyesque" product endorsements than any entrepreneurial skill.Lets not forget overselling an by more than twice the capacity,locking the entrances,nine people dying........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

dunkamania wrote:
    I am skeptical of his entrepreneurial skills,he was in the right place at the right time,from the point of view of rap going mainstream.

Unlike most other entrepreneurs????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

No
    dunkamania wrote:
    Lets not forget overselling an by more than twice the capacity,locking the entrances,nine people dying........

what?

what?

http://www.legalrightsadvice.com/beattherap.jsp

Diddy was in charge of sales and security apparently.

ballooba wrote:
    Unlike most other entrepreneurs????

entrepreneurial sucess can usually be accredited to a combination of luck and skill.In Puffys case,I believe its more a case of luck than skill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

dunkamania wrote:
    entrepreneurial sucess can usually be accredited to a combination of luck and skill.In Puffys case,I believe its more a case of luck than skill

Well, he's not a great musician and his talents have to lie somewhere or he wouldn't have gotten as far as he has.

Incidentally, I presume the name change was down to a dispute with a record label?

Took a fair bit of balls to change name if that's the case. Lose all the brand recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

No
    ballooba wrote:
    Well, he's not a great musician and his talents have to lie somewhere or he wouldn't have gotten as far as he has.

Incidentally, I presume the name change was down to a dispute with a record label?

Took a fair bit of balls to change name if that's the case. Lose all the brand recognition.

He changed his name to P Diddy because of the shooting incident in a club. Once he was acquitted, he changed his name to P Diddy to distance himself from the image of him being a gangster.

He then changed is to Diddy - not sure why exactly. He's still called P Diddy in the UK tho because another artist with the same name sued him and won...

• Advertisement
Advertisement