Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon X700 for BF2 / BF2142??

Options
  • 09-11-2006 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi, im considering buying an Acer 8104WLMi which has a Radeon X700 graphics card. I think this laptop was released around summer last year. But i was wondering what games could be played on this? I've read reviews sayin FarCry can be played on it. But im really into BF2 and quite possibly BF2142. Does anyone know if these could play, im not to fussy on quality and will settle for slightly lower resolution.

I just need to know can this handle todays games?

Also how long would i have before this card basically gets outdated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the X700 isnt exactly cutting edge if you turn the details down it should be playable. Google brings up this review of the notebook and as you can see Farcry at medium details at 1024x768 is playable.

With BF2 you should be okay with the X700 at 1024x768 with medium-low details, BF2142 may require low settings or lower resolution.

Those games really like RAM so get 1GB or more if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul

Cool, thanks 8T8,

Yeh im not a massive gamer, so resolution isnt that important plus i dont mind medium settings as im really not too picky on detail. Lagging would really piss me off though, but i presume this is down to RAM and braodband connection. i read sumwer that If the card has 128mb of video ram that there is not much difference between that and the 256mb of ram! is this true?

I would definitely update the normal DDR Ram to hopefully 2GB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Most games on average these days consume about 256MB RAM on the GPU while you can get away with 128MB by lowering the detail & textures and running at lower resolutions.

Generally though the days of 128MB GPU's are fading away it's 256 or greater from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I posted this in the other thread if its of any use to you...
    Its still quite a powerful performer, running BF2142 at medium settings easily and BF2 at medium-high.

It doesn't support shader 3.0 though but all in all, its a good card.

BF2142, 1024x768, medium settings.

Advertisement