Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to buy for a new baby

• 09-11-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Not sure if this is correct place (please move to correct location if incorrect), but friends of mine have just had a new baby. I'm calling to see them over the weekend and I just dont know what I can give as a present. I'm told that people usuallly give baby clothes as a present but that sounds pretty naff to be honest.
    If anyone has ideas on what I can get please help.

P.s. Baby boy, 2 weeks old.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a big book full of pictures of glaciers,polar bears and penguins.. he probably won't get to see any when he's grown up

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

when my neice was born I bought my sis nappies, babay wipes and formula-she sed it was the best prezzie she got!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Get one of those books that lets the parents record his first year from birth.. My sister has one for each of her kids and they're great, she has their cord stumps, hair from their first hair cut, their hospital bracelets, hand and foot prints and dates of first words etc recorded... Loads of other info, great to have and keep imo.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

€50.00 in Prize Bonds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

jacko wrote:
    Not sure if this is correct place (please move to correct location if incorrect), but friends of mine have just had a new baby. I'm calling to see them over the weekend and I just dont know what I can give as a present. I'm told that people usuallly give baby clothes as a present but that sounds pretty naff to be honest.

Prizebonds. They will probably get shed loads of baby clothes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

xzanti wrote:
    Get one of those books that lets the parents record his first year from birth.. My sister has one for each of her kids and they're great, she has their cord stumps, hair from their first hair cut, their hospital bracelets, hand and foot prints and dates of first words etc recorded... Loads of other info, great to have and keep imo.. :)

where could i get one of these

is the prizebonds thing a bit too impersonal. giving them just kinda says, "i couldn't be arsed thinking of what to give you so i just gave these"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

xzanti wrote:
    Thats a great idea, I'd second that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

jacko wrote:
    where could i get one of these
    Anywhere really, mothercare would probably be the obvious place but Id say Easons have them too.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

xzanti wrote:
    Anywhere really, mothercare would probably be the obvious place but Id say Easons have them too.. :)
    Failing that, he could always do what Madonna did and buy the kid a little African friend...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Teddy? I know he's very young but it's a present he'll get use out of for a few years. I bought a nice old school teddy for my mate's baby girl in the teddy shop on the bottom floor of the Stephen's Green Centre.
    jacko wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DPablo

buy him a decent bottle of 2006 wine, to be enjoyed in a few years time!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

But clothes that are for 6 months and over, she'll already have tons of newborn stuff and probably not much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ha!! I thought the title of this thread was 'Want to buy a new baby'.

Should probably ask Madonna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I suggest something practical other than clothes or toys. Bottle sterilizer? Baby packs like those that have pouches for nappies, bottles, emollients (moisturisers), wipers etc are a good idea :)

Oh, this post should probably be in the new forum here :) Reported for moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

What my g/f does whenever someone we know has a baby is she makes up a hamper of all the things needed for baby's nappy's, wipes and so on and so forth and then add's in a small teddy for the baby itself.

The new parents usually love them as the cost of all these things can be surprisingly expensive to keep buying.

I also agree with the momento of the first year frame, the only problem with doing that is that usually someone else thinks of the same thing and the parents end up with two or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

^ Thats a super idea, the hamper. Have a look at the link sticky OP, I do remember adding a few links specific for baby gift ideas.

hamper would be a good idea alright but i wouldn't have a clue what to put in it.
    I may go to mothercare and just find out from someone working there what i should get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Go to Mothercare or Boots or somewhere to that effect, find a friendly looking member of staff, explain what you want to do and they should be able to help you, just dont let them pressure you into buying too much, set your budget before you go in.
    Some places might even make up hampers for you if you ask nicely enough.

thanks for all the help/suggestions. i'll sort something out eventually....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

hamper is a great idea, but everytime a new addition arrives in my family my brother is always first there with the hamper...cas his missus works in a store that does them up, gets it for feck all!!

Most stores would do one up for you, but I suggest ya but the basket yourself and just ask someone bout what to fill it.

I usually go for the boring voucher / money thing. useless i know

Advertisement