Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WRT54G wired works, wireless doesn't

• 09-11-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

To cut a long story, I am in the process of changing my ISP. My neighbour was kind enough to offer that I share their broadband until I am up and running again.

The interesting thing is that, although my Linksys WRT54G is physically connected to their Belkin router (which in turn is connected to a Zyxel modem), and I can surf the web when my laptop is physically plugged into the WRT54G, but I cannot surf when connected to the WRT54G wireless network.

I can connect to the admin of the router wirelessly, but I cannot surf, and I don't understand this.

Can anyone please give me some advice?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Could you not just replace their belkin with your linksys? You're just complicating the setup for no reason from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

irlrobins wrote:
    Could you not just replace their belkin with your linksys? You're just complicating the setup for no reason from what I can see.

Potentially i could, but i can't see what the benefit would be. The Belkin (neighbour) and my WRT54G is seperated with about 40 meters of lan cable. Btw. The houses are quite old, 3 foot granite walls, so wireless between the houses are out of the question (reception too bad)

If I give them my linksys, i cannot use more than one computer, or plug in my PAP2 device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ah right. Well can you give details about what ip address each modem and router has? Is the modem in bridge mode? Have you firewalls on routers switched on? the more detail you can provide the better.

irlrobins wrote:
    Ah right. Well can you give details about what ip address each modem and router has? Is the modem in bridge mode? Have you firewalls on routers switched on? the more detail you can provide the better.

The Modem is on 192.168.1.x. The Belkin is 192.168.2.x. I turned the DHCP server off on the Linksys, so effectively the IP's come from the Belkin. (Netmask is 255.255.255.0)

I am not sure what mode the modem is in. i tried to have a quick look but could not see what you suggested.

The firewalls are enabled. But this does not explain why if a plug a lan cable into the linksys it works, but wireless doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

ikoonman wrote:
    The Modem is on 192.168.1.x. The Belkin is 192.168.2.x. I turned the DHCP server off on the Linksys, so effectively the IP's come from the Belkin. (Netmask is 255.255.255.0)

I am not sure what mode the modem is in. i tried to have a quick look but could not see what you suggested.

The firewalls are enabled. But this does not explain why if a plug a lan cable into the linksys it works, but wireless doesn't.
    Plug the cable from your neighbours house into a LAN port, and just use it as a switch/access point. Your wired PC and your wireless client will get DHCP responses from the Belkin, and will be able to talk to the internet.

You problem with the wired connection is probably due to screwing up your static addresses.

• Advertisement

Well, I am now even more worried! If I connect to the Belkin, (not my Linksys connected to the Belkin via wire), but wirelessly, I cannot surf the web either. I have a second laptop in the house that does connect wirelessly to the Belkin so I don't understand that.

Advertisement