Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail App with Meteor?

• 09-11-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone got this working yet?
    I've downloaded the app from Gmail and installed it but when I try to connect it keeps timing out and giving me the message "This program requires data connection. Please contact your carrier, or vist Gmail FAQ..."
    I'm using a Nokia 6630.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I got the same with Motorola V3 on O2.
    I think it might only be US/Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I had the same problem. You need to call Meteor and ask them to enable access to the full internet for you. Once you've done this, it will be able to connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

Any idea of charges for it use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Just downloaded Gmail App for third time in 3 days, but this time it worked straight away, opening with a login screen. With Meteor PAYG and have 6230i. Been using Opera mini on this fone for quite a while now, so ISP settings were already there and working. New version of Opera mini available now "mini Beta 3"

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I haven't been able to get this working on my motorola v3 either - getting the same message as bruce. I get the login screen, login, but then it goes loading and fails. I have the internet access enabled, but I also thought it was because it was us/canada only (message when selecting app for download).

(Whether it means anything or not, opera mini doesn't work for me, but AFT and Google Maps do.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It does work on Meteor. You need to have internet access turned on via 1905. It's off by default. Internet access is not the same as WAP/GPRS.

chrislad wrote:
    It does work on Meteor. You need to have internet access turned on via 1905. It's off by default. Internet access is not the same as WAP/GPRS.

As I said, I do have internet access enabled. I've been thru the whole rigmarole with Meteor - they said I had WAP/GPRS and Internet enabled on my account. AFT works fine as does google maps. They wouldn't work if I didn't have internet access enabled.

Does'nt make any sense to me. With Meteor Payg and my first 2 downloads of Gmail App never got to the login screen. Then I changed the language setting on the web page to English(US), downloaded again and this time it went straight to loging screen. Been working fine for the last 4 days (6230i )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Login to GMail and go to Settings, and make the language English (US). That might do it. It did for me.

changing the language settings to english (us) worked - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I rang Meteor and asked them to set up the internet and they said that Gmail and other applications like Sky by mobile won't work on their network?

Is this information correct or have other people got them to work?

He gave me a number that you text Open to 51510 to get meteor mail to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

Mine goes as far as the Inbox, displays "Loading..." on the top right but doesn't get any further. The mobile web gmail site (m.gmail.com) keeps giving me an "HTTP status 501" message when I try to log in. I have a Sony Ericsson W810i and am on Meteor. I'm using GPRS WAP settings (can't get ISP to work).

Anyone having similar problems?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

CK.1 wrote:
    Mine goes as far as the Inbox, displays "Loading..." on the top right but doesn't get any further. The mobile web gmail site (m.gmail.com) keeps giving me an "HTTP status 501" message when I try to log in. I have a Sony Ericsson W810i and am on Meteor. I'm using GPRS WAP settings (can't get ISP to work).

Anyone having similar problems?

i have a k750i meteor and have the same issue, websites are no problem, but i just get stuck at loading with the gmail java app. apparently the java setting in connectivity matters but i have that as meteor WAP which should work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

As long as you definitely have ISP active (get them to check with their tech support) on your number it should work fine.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ns06 wrote:
    As long as you definitely have ISP active (get them to check with their tech support) on your number it should work fine.

would this mean that all other sites would work fine but not the gmail app? i asked them but of course none of them have ever heard of this! they are useless, all the want to do is keep sending me the same wap settings over and over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brandaan

Hi all,
    Anybody found a reliable solution to this?
    I have the same issue, i.e. full web access on my meteor account, but Gmail application refuses to connect ("this program requires a data connection" etc.)
    Changed language on my gmail account to US english already...
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Is it expesive on meteor?

Have borrowed some info from the Opera Mini site that might be of some help to people trying to connect over ISP with Mteor.

""We have created a test application which you can test your connectivity with. This is a very small program. Point your WAP browser to this adress to download it: http://mini.opera.com/mnt/

Please download this program if you have problems getting pages to load in Opera Mini. This program tests you phone's ability to connect through a midlet to the Internet and checks if it can recieve data to your phone.

The logic here is, if this program manages to get access to the network and the program returns an OK status (saying that you have a working network connection), then your phone's setup is correct for letting midlets (such as Opera Mini) connect to the Internet.""

Ireland

- Service proivder: Meteor
    - APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    - Username: my
    - Password: isp
    - Info: Before using these settings, you have to call Meteor and ask them to enable ISP Access on your account - they don't allow it by default. You need to tell them you want to connect to the internet using your phone as the modem. The first thing they need to do is have your account "provisioned on the HLR for ISP (internet access)".

I downloaded that test program and it said it was ok. Does this mean I can use opera mini and AFT?

colm-ccfc84 If you point your WAP browser at : http://mini.opera.com/ you wil get the last stable version of Opera Mini appropriate to your phone, and as the above test ran o.k. for you it should work. There is a new version "Opera mini Beta 3 release 2" just out a few days which is working well on my 6230i. Has RSS feeds and some security features. Gets me through the login pages on AIB, but then no more

• Advertisement

dohouch wrote:
    colm-ccfc84 If you point your WAP browser at : http://mini.opera.com/ you wil get the last stable version of Opera Mini appropriate to your phone, and as the above test ran o.k. for you it should work. There is a new version "Opera mini Beta 3 release 2" just out a few days which is working well on my 6230i. Has RSS feeds and some security features. Gets me through the login pages on AIB, but then no more
    Yeah I did that and it is working fine.

dohouch wrote:
    Have borrowed some info from the Opera Mini site that might be of some help to people trying to connect over ISP with Mteor.

""We have created a test application which you can test your connectivity with. This is a very small program. Point your WAP browser to this adress to download it: http://mini.opera.com/mnt/

Please download this program if you have problems getting pages to load in Opera Mini. This program tests you phone's ability to connect through a midlet to the Internet and checks if it can recieve data to your phone.

The logic here is, if this program manages to get access to the network and the program returns an OK status (saying that you have a working network connection), then your phone's setup is correct for letting midlets (such as Opera Mini) connect to the Internet.""

this works for me no problem, but Opera Mini doesn't for some reason. The other applications work - like AFT, Gmail, Google Maps, but not opera. And the irony is, it was I who posted the info below on the Opera Mini Forum, and I learned it from the AFT threads here!

Ireland

- Service proivder: Meteor
    - APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    - Username: my
    - Password: isp
    - Info: Before using these settings, you have to call Meteor and ask them to enable ISP Access on your account - they don't allow it by default. You need to tell them you want to connect to the internet using your phone as the modem. The first thing they need to do is have your account "provisioned on the HLR for ISP (internet access)".

ablelocks: did you download Opera mini over your WAP browser? That checks your phone's suitability for Opera mini.

Advertisement