Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Broadband Speeds

• 09-11-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a BT broadband 1mb connection.

my question is, do i get the full 1mb stream when using it wirelessly?

and how can i check this?

The signal strength always seems to be at full btw.

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Maximum you will get downloading etc would be around 100kbps. You can test your connection here.

Also more suited to here

Just re-read your post. You probably won't get that speed through wireless. Depends on what wireless card you have also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

ah ok .. thanks a mil ... i'll checkthem out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,

I have a BT broadband 1mb connection.

my question is, do i get the full 1mb stream when using it wirelessly?

and how can i check this?

The signal strength always seems to be at full btw.

Thanks

Matt
    Yes you will get the full 1 Meg connection when using it wirelessly.
    The connection between your Wireless card and the BT modem is far faster than the 1 Meg connection hence your wireless connection will not be responsible for a slower internet connection. As someone mentioned, you will of course not get a full meg down anyway but this is not as a result of wireless.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

petes wrote:
    Just re-read your post. You probably won't get that speed through wireless. Depends on what wireless card you have also.

I would disagree.

As I am sure you know, a bog-standard b connection is 11Mbps, I regularly get bursts of over 100kbps on my 1Mb connection with BT Ireland, averaging at around the 100 most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

tom dunne wrote:
    I would disagree.

As I am sure you know, a bog-standard b connection is 11Mbps, I regularly get bursts of over 100kbps on my 1Mb connection with BT Ireland, averaging at around the 100 most of the time.

I know. I think I confused myself and was still thinking of the op poster getting full 1mb speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Actually, now that I think of it, isn't that actually 100 kilo-bytes per second which translates into 1Mega-bits per second?

I'm just thinking of downloading stuff in Firefox and AFAIR, it reports 100KB as opposed to kb. Isn't that kilo-bytes? :confused:

i ran that test and i got 533 kb .... ive just received my new dell xps m1210 with inte; pro wireless wlan 395. this ting is great, it just picks up a signal if theres one around. loving it.

anyway om not sure what speed whoevers router is running at, so i'll test a gain when im home

cheers lads

i need to get used to this little keyboard though .... my typing is all over the shop :)

Let me say again.
    The connection from your wireless router to your network card is going to be around 11 Meg, the connection from your wireless router to the internet is 1 Meg.
    The 11 Meg connection will not "slow down" the 1 meg connection since it has more than enough capacity to make the most of it.
    Now if the connections were the other way around, 1 meg connection to router, 11 meg internet connection then your wireless connection would limit your internet connection.
    OP Wireless cards are in general to "just pick up" access points.
    Kippy

thanks ... im aware what a wireless card does ... but ive never been able to just access the net before without passwords or whatever.

Thanks for answering my question though

• Advertisement

thanks ... im aware what a wireless card does ... but ive never been able to just access the net before without passwords or whatever.

Thanks for answering my question thoug
    Accessing the net without passwords or whatever generally mean you are connected to an unsecured wireless access point (or a point that you have entered access credentials at a previous point in time)
    This is generally not a good thing and means that anyone can access the internet though this point without entering credentials.
    I would have a read through a few posts on Wireless security in this forum to get up to speed on various implications and ways to secure your wireless network.
    Kippy

cheers for the advice kippy ... will do

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ItsJusMe

Depending on who your provider is will make the difference between

there "stated" speeds. . . . "High Contention" ... sharing your connection with many others...

Here's a good accurate site for checking your connection speed. . . . ;)

Depending on who your provider is will make the difference between

there "stated" speeds. . . . "High Contention" ... sharing your connection with many others...

Here's a good accurate site for checking your connection speed. . . .
    Read the original question and think about it again please.
    The wireless connection you have to your router if 11 meg will not impact your overall internet access speed unless that internet access speed is above 11 meg.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Yeah!! Download of 29230 kb/s! And upload of 16657 kb/s! I love being on HEANET! Our wireless is restricted to 11mb/s because our wired has a connection speed of 100 megabits/s. At home I'm not too worried about the speed, not too much that can be done about wireless speed as long as the reception is at full.

Advertisement