Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dealers - trade ins - advice please

Options
  • 09-11-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I was in a garage this morning looking at cars. The sales guy told me that he would allow me 2k on my own car if I was buying a 05 car.

I was a little shocked as another garage offer me 4k on a new car. When I told him this he said that he can allow me 4k on a new car but only 2k on a second hand car.

Why is this? Either my car is worth 4k or it is not.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's nothing to do with the price of your car, I'm guessing it's got to do with the profit margin between selling you a new car or a second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

You would probably be able to get a discount on the list price of either car if you did not have a trade in .So in reality your trade in is worth less than the 2k or 4k you are offered.Selling it privately would make more sense money wise .

Advertisement