Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottom Line, Best place to buy SIM FREE phones?

• 09-11-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I am interested in purchasing a new unbranded sim free phone. Thus far I have bought second hand sim free, and network locked new phones and I want to get a new sim free option this time..

I am aware of expansys etc but would really like to hear of other online places as well as feedback from people who have purchased sim free phones from the likes of Pixmania, Expansys etc.

Where is the best place, in your collective op¡nions, to purchase online?

I´m sure there are many online stores I don´t know about and would be suitably wary of ones I am not familiar with unless I heard otherwise.
    So please post here your sim free buying experiences, and recommend or disuade me.

I read a thread here about someone who wanted to purchase a phone in Japan but found out it would not work in Ireland; phones are cheaper there but not an option then I take it?
    The US seems very far behind in mobile tech with networks there seriously crippling their handsets (3 springs to mind).
    I´m in Spain at the moment and there are definitely no deals to be had either sim free or prepay, so I guess a decent and reputable european online reseller is the best bet.

Let me know how you have gotton on in the past, your buying experiences with links etc.

Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers, Q.

PS; I´m mainly interested in S60 Nokias, waiting patiently for the N95 but would settle for an N73 or N80 until then :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

ebay sellers with good feedback are a good way to go. Can often save up to €50 for a brand new unlocked phone as opposed to online prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

quintron wrote:
    I am interested in purchasing a new unbranded sim free phone. Thus far I have bought second hand sim free, and network locked new phones and I want to get a new sim free option this time..

I am aware of expansys etc but would really like to hear of other online places as well as feedback from people who have purchased sim free phones from the likes of Pixmania, Expansys etc.

Where is the best place, in your collective op¡nions, to purchase online?

I´m sure there are many online stores I don´t know about and would be suitably wary of ones I am not familiar with unless I heard otherwise.
    So please post here your sim free buying experiences, and recommend or disuade me.

I read a thread here about someone who wanted to purchase a phone in Japan but found out it would not work in Ireland; phones are cheaper there but not an option then I take it?
    The US seems very far behind in mobile tech with networks there seriously crippling their handsets (3 springs to mind).
    I´m in Spain at the moment and there are definitely no deals to be had either sim free or prepay, so I guess a decent and reputable european online reseller is the best bet.

Let me know how you have gotton on in the past, your buying experiences with links etc.

Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers, Q.

PS; I´m mainly interested in S60 Nokias, waiting patiently for the N95 but would settle for an N73 or N80 until then :-)

You could save money (particularly if you are entitled to an upgrade) by going for a branded and locked Vodafone or O2 phone, if you are on bill pay you normally get an unlock code within a day or so, after that just have the phone reflashed with generic firmware.

Only problem could be the phone you want not being available on these networks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've used expansys twice, and had absolutely no issues. Would recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

expansys are really great apart from there prices i've just bought a SE w850i for €311 off ebay on expansys its listed for €424

Expansys is handy from the fact they you buy the phone they send it out no risk no messing about more or less hassle free ebay is cheap

Amazon can have good deals as well but can get out with alo of places not shipping outside UK. Theres also adverts.ie (boards.ie sales website) which can be good for bargains cant think of anymore at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I have had problems with Expansys in the past, if an item is out of stock you can have long delays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Pop over to a CPW, Link Store or Phones4U in NI if you're close to the border. I've found that CPW sim-free prices in the North compare very favourably against CPW sim-free prices in the Republic - another sad example of how we're being ripped off down here I guess (I don't know how well CPW NI prices compare to online prices though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

www.onedaymobile.ie are the nest I've seen for price on sim free phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I've seen good reports on Boards about:

www.onedaymobile.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

BreadBoard wrote:
    www.onedaymobile.ie are the nest I've seen for price on sim free phone.

See the difference a fast connection makes.
    My reply took 5 minutes longer to get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

See the difference a fast connection makes.
    My reply took 5 minutes longer to get there!
    Use www.pie.boards.ie that might speed things up a little for ya, :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

expansys are really great apart from there prices i've just bought a SE w850i for €311 off ebay on expansys its listed for €424

Expansys is handy from the fact they you buy the phone they send it out no risk no messing about more or less hassle free ebay is cheap

Amazon can have good deals as well but can get out with alo of places not shipping outside UK. Theres also adverts.ie (boards.ie sales website) which can be good for bargains cant think of anymore at the mo

i have bought a few fones from expansys... when you enter your vat number it takes the vat off straight away! niceone. and fast delivery. so if you know someone with a vat num then ur laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pixmania maybe, I hear their after sales support is a load of tosh though. :( I have dealt with expansys before and find them very good.

Advertisement