Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsolicited text message offering a mortgage

Options
  • 09-11-2006 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi

I recently received an unsolicited text message from the mortgage arm (basically and EBS office in the estate agents) of an estate agent that I bought a house through. When we put the deposit down on the house we were asked if we wanted any mortgage services...to which we replied that we didnt.

Now a week after we have moved into our house I got a text message stating

Re your purchase in xxxx. Has your mortgae cheque issued? If not contact xx at estate agent on number for details of mortgage offering

Now its my understanding that this is illegal (can somebody confirm?) as its offering unsolicited financial services....and secondly that we had previously refused to deal with this service provider and had not given them our details..that this is again illegal in that they have provided my phone number to a 3rd party without my consent.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The financial regulator is www.ifsra.ie

The EA should be registered with them as a financial intermediary sostart by checking that and then the rest

database issues are www.dataprivacy.ie , especially if you opted out of this crap and they put you on a marketing database anyway or put you in ANY database that is not registered whether you opted out of communications or not .

why not raise the matter with both regulators in the interests of balance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Good advice above. To save you some time the specific link you need is http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Spam_Guide/289.htm , well worth reporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Send an email to info@dataprotection.ie stating the time you got the text message, your mobile operator, the exact content of the message, your number, also state that you would be willing to testify if required, they will only ask otherwise. Oh yes and of course your name and home address.

Finally make sure you are explicit in telling them that you did not at ANY time give permission for your number to be used for such promotions , implied or otherwise. They will take the senders side 90% of the time so make sure you are adamant in telling them YOU were the injured party here.

GLN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

Sizzler wrote:
    They (dataprotection) will take the senders side 90% of the time

Not disputing it, my impression is they are a toothless rulebook. Do you have any source for data protection complaint outcomes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

haz wrote:
    Not disputing it, my impression is they are a toothless rulebook. Do you have any source for data protection complaint outcomes?
    Check out their Annual Report on their website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement