Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deutche Telecom say no to Wimax @ 3.xGhz for rural broadband

Options
  • 09-11-2006 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Interesting decision.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/08/dt_wimax_snub/

WiMax in Ireland @ 3.xGhz (Unlike in the US where it operates at 2.xGhz for the likes of sprint nextel) is not good for indoor propogation and requires a massive cell count to give any sort of indoor coverage of note for higher speeds. Indeed, even the 3G guys will tell you that indoor propagation is not wonderful @ 1.8Ghz without a high call count.

While I am a BIG fan of Wimax, it is a interesting point, well considered by DT in my opinion and does make me wonder about eircom's recent statements on Wimax.

For 3.xGhz to work really well at high speeds, you will in most (though not all) instances need to do an outdoor installation at the cusotmer location unless you have a base station on every street corner and cut down all the trees and flatten them pesky mountains - that is just the way it is.....so says physics.... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

3.5GHz. almost always outdoor. Chimney etc.

2.5Ghz (MMDS here also some Eircom spectrum) is not a lot better. Never seen indoor MMDS Aerial :)

700MHz to 1.2GHz though is possible for indoor and high enough to make aerials not to big and cell size controllable.

As part of switch to DTT we should use MPEG4 and chop 700 to 864 OFF the TV band and give it for Mobile Data, perhaps Wimax. I thing indeed in USA they are transfering some 800MHz spectrum from TV to Mobile Data.

There are or will be some services 870MHz to 990MHz band which is a really nice band for mobile and Indoor etc.

( I have used an MMDS dish indoors on desk with ripwave to get 9km range an d 250kbps download :) but not much desk space! )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Newspapers are comics for big people. El Reg is similar for Techies. Sometimes useful :) I mean do we really need to know about bugarian air bags on a tech news site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

watty wrote:
    I mean do we really need to know about bugarian air bags on a tech news site?

Absolutely!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

For a lot of people an outdoor installation is much cheaper and less painful than dialup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

watty wrote:
    Newspapers are comics for big people. El Reg is similar for Techies. Sometimes useful :) I mean do we really need to know about bugarian air bags on a tech news site?

You better believe it :D

Advertisement