Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asking landlord for double glazing

Options
  • 09-11-2006 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,

living in rented accomdation with 3 other people.
    weve come to the conclusion that the source of our extortionate heating bills [one bill was 450eu last year] is due to the lack of double glazing in our rented accomodation.

the windows are so bad that we have towels wrapped agaist the frames to keep out drafts and some rooms are so damp that clothes have started to rot in wardrobes.

is there any requirement for us to have better quality windows or do we just have to put up with it.
    even if there is no law on our side we would still like to approach the landlord, so if anyone has any suggestions on this it would be appreciated.

thansk,
    subway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

why don't you just move somewhere decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tunes81

Move out would be the best option if you can, although depends where you are could have problems getting a new place. Would you pay higher rent if the landlord put in new windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There is no legal requirement for the landlord to provide double glazing but I think that there is an obligation to provide the tenant without serious rotting or dampness. You could contact Threshold and ask for advice about the conditions.

That said, in my experience there is a vast variance in the quality of rental accomodation available in Ireland, even within a smilar price range. If I were in your situation I would probably cut my losses and move elsewhere. Even if the windows were fixed you would probably quickly discover that there is a lack of insulation, some serious damp proofing is required and that the heating system is horribly inefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

well the issue at hand is that its a fantastic house in a fantastic location.
    its unlikely that we will get better accomodation in dublin at the price we are paying.

the house itself is perfectly fine, just that there is cold coming in through the windows, you can fel it as you walk by them.

thanks for the advice, the rent went up for the first time in 2 years last month, so we probaly should have asked for new windows then i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

We did this a few years ago. The landlord replaced all the windows and doors but he also increased the rent.

• Advertisement

by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

about 70 euro each but our rent is very low anyway so to be honest it was only going up to market rates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tbh, I doubt double glazing would solve the damp problem. In fact it could make it worse.

iguana wrote:
    Tbh, I doubt double glazing would solve the damp problem. In fact it could make it worse.
    thats some slight vague advice?
    why wouldnt double glazing solve damp coming in through the windows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it may be condensation which comes on to the inside of the window from inside (physics like) not through the window

if it comes through its different , he should replace as there must be a draught coming through as well.

• Advertisement

serious draught,
    thats where i thought the condenastion would be from too.
    its an oldish brick house and if yous stand within a few feet of the windows you can see your breath.

will discuss again wioth the lads and consider approaching the landlord

thansk for the advice

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

subway wrote:
    its an oldish brick house

Period houses need to breathe and double glazing contributes hugely to internal damp and condensation problems in older houses not designed to be hermetically sealed. If the pre-existing damp isn't treated, or if the damp is from another source, double-glazing would make it worse.

ah, i didnt know that.
    i think we can just talk to him about our situtaion and let him figure out whats best.
    its his house in the end.

Advertisement