Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD 3 (xbox 360)

• 09-11-2006 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

For those that cant wait for it to be released tomorrow, its been released in Smyths in town (dublin) - 69.99 - i've just got my copy!:D

Work is sure going to go ssssssoooooooooo slow today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I've played it on the 360, its pretty pants, brings some of the uo touches bac, cooking nades (yay!, well except the limp wristed throwing and the meter with the cook on it) and vehicles (nay) but with the new class system it just looks and plays like DoD:S, which in itself isn't a bad thing, DoD:S is pretty cool, just not for a CoD game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I refuse to even give it a try... FPS games shouldn't be played on consoles with a joypad... They should be played on PCs only with keyboard & mouse! :p

OR, console manufacturers should offer keyboard & mouse connectivity/compatibility. I mean CoD4 on the PS3 with High Def. TV sounds pretty good to me! :D Roll on 2009!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

If you refuse to ply it just cause its a console game, youre missing out on SO much. Ive palyed cod since the first pc game was released, and i have cod3 aswell. This game is GREAT on multiplayer. Its like cod:UO mixed with dod:S. The vehicles handle brilliantly, the sounds are awesome, and the weapons are excellent. Aiming takes some getting used to on the joypad but 10 minutes in and youre getting headshots. The graphics are twice what cod2 was, and its mp pisses all over cod2 mp. Anyone who dismisses it as 'just a console game' is seriously missing out. Its easily as good as any cod pc game online.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe you when you say it is a great game! And I'm delighted gamers such as yourself are enjoying it! But for me, there is no point in playing FPS games without a keyboard & mouse... Vice versa, I wouldn't play a racing game on a PC with a keyboard & mouse! I guess it's just me... :o

i started off playing fps's on consoles really so im fairly used to it. Its not that bad when you get used to it ;) Tho i do miss being able to turn around in a split second and pop some little bastard behind me, but what can ya do!

• Advertisement

You see, that's why I don't even bother trying... The freedom of movement and accuracy you get with a keyboard & mouse is simply too good and enjoyable for me to "downgrade" to a joypad... I do hope there will be a CoD3 on the PC... :(

What about the Wii version Steffano? Any interest in that? If anything it will be more accurate than Keyboard and Mouse.

jonnybadd wrote:
    What about the Wii version Steffano? Any interest in that? If anything it will be more accurate than Keyboard and Mouse.
    Please enlighten me jonnybadd... I know the Wii is a new console (right?) from Nintendo (right?) and that there's something cool about it's jopad (right?)... Pretty clueless as you can see!

Yeah its a motion sensor joypad, like the light gun games of old, so esentially you point the controller at the screen and shoot. If I do pick up CoD 3 it'll be for the Wii

just spent the last 2 hours playing it online...maaan seriously you need to play this online, its freakin sweet. Played headquarters, war (battleifeld rip off) and some CTF, steffano if you get the chance id say play it on a friends xbox or something, cause if you like cod youre missing out! The vehicles are great, loving the motorbike and sidecar..and the support weapons rock, its back to the old mg36 from UO, and the 30 cal, they sound brilliant and look savage, everythin but your sights go all blurry when you aim, it looks brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

This is certainly the best multiplayer game I have played this year.

Keyboard+mouse is great but I would rather sit down and play CoD3 on the xbox tbh. The entire game is just fantastic, except the single player which is scripted to hell.

Dont make comments about the multiplayer unless you have played it. IMO it's better than DoD:S...and I love DoD:S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Can you play mutiplayer cod3 ,without an xbox live account.I mean like unreal tournament 2004,ctf against the,ai, computer.You against the germans/bots.I,m thinking of getting it on the 360,i dont have broadband installed.I heard the multiplayer maps on this game are much better than COD2.

Nope, cod has never had bots, so just the singleplayer if your sans broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

anyone else finding it taking a huge amount of time to get a ranked game going online with this? player games are fine, but ranked is stupidly long waits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I actually have basically no interest in consoles. In fact, the only games i really enjoy are FPS's and tbh they suck on consoles. PC all the way!

I actually have basically no interest in consoles. In fact, the only games i really enjoy are FPS's and tbh they suck on consoles. PC all the way!
    I'm a little bit like that myself. I LOVE FPS games and they are not really compatible with consoles... But it won't stop me from getting the PS3 in March! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't agree with that. I've been playing FPS' since Doon on the 486 and there are some classic console FPS games. Halo 2 is still the second best multi-player FPS I've ever player (after Quake).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Surely the likes of HL, Unreal, BF2 leave console FPS for dead?

Dont get me wrong, I like playing CoD3 sitting in an armchair, but I dont fool myself into thinking its anywhere near as good as those above. The limitations of the controller pretty much guarantee it.

I have to go with CiaranC on that one I'm afraid super_furry... There's nothing wrong with enjoying FPS games on consoles but they're nowhere near as good as on a PC with a Keyboard & Mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Same here,

The only game I love on console is Tekken and fighting games basically, FPS...... well I tried playing 2142 with a 360 controller, and it was a PAIN!

Mouse+keyboard FTW! :D

Plus, after having a taste of a great multiplayer game(cod1, bf2, cs), and freedom of PC, I felt locked out when I played console, I'm never buying one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I used to think FPS games belonged on th epc only but after playing GOW and COD 3 on the Xbox 360 I no longer think that. COD 3 and GOW are fantastic, being on a pc would not make them any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Moojuice wrote:
    I used to think FPS games belonged on th epc only but after playing GOW and COD 3 on the Xbox 360 I no longer think that. COD 3 and GOW are fantastic, being on a pc would not make them any better.
    First off, I'm a former PS2 owner who converted to being a PCgamer and I've never looked back. My loyalties lie with my beloved PC. So now you know where I'm coming from.................

The question is not whether COD3 would be better on a PC (the Xbox 360's graphics are brilliant), the point is if you could hook up a pc player with another guy using a console and let them go head to head, the pc gamer would win every time. Reaction speeds and accuracy are far higher on the PC with the control the mouse and keyboard allows. Twin joysticks can never match the control a mouse gives you. I've been back to the PS2 to play COD the Big Red One on my nephews machine and it annoyed the hell out of me trying to line up shots and manouver. It was more "spray and pray" than my usual one shot headkills.

Notwithstanding the above, I'm still considering getting the xbox 360 as there are some great games on it that I'd like to try and the HD-DVD is also appealing - or should I wait for the PS3???? Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Reaction speeds and accuracy are far higher on the PC with the control the mouse and keyboard allows. Twin joysticks can never match the control a mouse gives you. I've been back to the PS2 to play COD the Big Red One on my nephews machine and it annoyed the hell out of me trying to line up shots and manouver. It was more "spray and pray" than my usual one shot headkills.

But (being the devil's advocate) does that just mean it's 'easier' on pc, rather than better? Having to work hard to make a kill or being slower to turn around could be argued to make the game more realistic. If you know where I'm coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Myksyk wrote:
    But (being the devil's advocate) does that just mean it's 'easier' on pc, rather than better? Having to work hard to make a kill or being slower to turn around could be argued to make the game more realistic. If you know where I'm coming from?
    Yeah I see your point and maybe its just me, but when I went back to using a PS2 controller, the joysticks drove me mad as the level of control is lousy compared to a mouse. I've played on COD servers with 50 players and I couldn't even imagine trying to get accurate shots using a joystick. I'd spend the entire time spraying and praying. I'd still love to play COD3 after the disappointing COD2. (sits back and waits for the COD2 lovers to jump in):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I'd still love to play COD3 after the disappointing COD2.
    LIES!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭cobraeire

cod3 is ok but it aint as good as cod2 its not as open as 2 its just a battlefield rip off and its not half as good as battle field ... just hang on till battle field bad company comes out it`ll be a cracker;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

CyberGhost wrote:
    Same here,

The only game I love on console is Tekken and fighting games basically, FPS...... well I tried playing 2142 with a 360 controller, and it was a PAIN!

Mouse+keyboard FTW! :D

Plus, after having a taste of a great multiplayer game(cod1, bf2, cs), and freedom of PC, I felt locked out when I played console, I'm never buying one.
    I dont know after playing the wii verion
    the controls werehard to get used to at the start but after you do its a real contender against the mouse and keyboard and its very possibly better

1huge1 wrote:
    [...]the controls were hard to get used to at the start but after you do its a real contender against the mouse and keyboard and its very possibly better
    Hmmm... I find that extremelly hard to believe I'm afraid... The beauty of these FPS games is the level of accuracy required to make a kill. Playing the Single Player mode is fine, it's easy and the Wii probably helps with the aiming... But if you could go online and play against PC users, you'd get pawned easily I'd say...

Wouldn't mind giving the Wii a try mind you! Especially CoD3! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

COD3 is one of the more manageable shooters on a console I've played. You use the right pad to aim at the general area, then looking down the barrel gives you fine aim.

I'm quite disappointed with the game, though. It's quite short. I've only had it a few days and I'm nearing the end already.

Also, it's just a duck shoot. Soldier, after soldier, after soldier. There's no gobsmacking set-pieces like the building being demolished at the beginning of COD2 or the Stalingrad / Red Square bits in the original COD. These are the reasons COD was so great and distinguished itself from Medal of Honor, and there's none of them in COD3.

The 'insightful' quotes you get after you die seem more distasteful than ever before. It doesn't seem right to be including these extremely sincere sentiments in a computer game where the fun is in killing the German soldiers. Perhaps the creators of the game only meant them to apply to soldiers on your OWN side...?

The heavy scripting has lost its fun. You really do feel like you're being pushed along. At one stage I somehow managed to prevent a scripted sequence from being triggered, and I was going through the map alone without my squadmates - it made it really obvious how little they actually contribute and how dependent the game is on scripting. Also, the cutscenes suck. If you're going to do them, at least have a decent script not stupid embarrassing dreck with Scottish soldiers saying 'laddie' and 'Frenchie'.

The grass looks really nice though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

StarryBud wrote:

I'm quite disappointed with the game, though. It's quite short. I've only had it a few days and I'm nearing the end already.

Also, it's just a duck shoot. Soldier, after soldier, after soldier. There's no gobsmacking set-pieces like the building being demolished at the beginning of COD2 or the Stalingrad / Red Square bits in the original COD. These are the reasons COD was so great and distinguished itself from Medal of Honor, and there's none of them in COD3.

Totally agree with you on this one - the tank bits add a bit of variety, and I LOVED the mortars, but overall, it's just like a duck hunt, true.

That's why I think FPS games should be released on PCs only (unless consoles start coming with keyboard & mouse capability) and should be played online only... :p

I only finished CoD2 last week cos I didn't have an internet connection anymore!

Advertisement