Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One computer disconnects the other.

• 09-11-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Looking for a simple answer to this, so I'll pose the problem simply.
    Two wireless laptops. One Lynksys router.
    Wife connects to the internet or 'repairs' and I get disconnected, and vice versa.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Have you DHCP enabled? Or are you using static ip addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

DHCP is enabled...

Ok.

1) Connect one laptop to the wireless. What ip address does it have? (use ipconfig, see FAQ)
    2) Connect second laptop to wireless. What ip address does it have? And does the first laptop still have the same ip address?

Post the results here

Comp 1: 192.168.1.34

Turned on Comp 2: 192.168.1.33

Mine disconnected...repaired. Address still 192.168.1.34
    Comp 2 then disconnected automatically.

BTW. ipconfig screen flashes on screen for a millisecond then disappears!

Start->run->cmd. Then run ipconfig. The results will stay on screen.

Doesn't seem to be a ip conflict problem as the ip addresses are different. V odd...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Make & model of cards and router(and firmware revision) please?

Router: Linksys WRK54G
    Comp 1: Linksys Wireless G Notebook Adapter V5. Driver 3.1.0.36
    Comp 2:Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200 BG network connection

This from the log...

The IP address lease 0.0.0.0 for the Network Card with network address %2 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

MS sent this...

Explanation
    The DHCP Server service did not extend the lease on your computer's IP address, so your computer temporarily lost its connection with the network.

This could be caused by a scope change. For example, when a roaming laptop moves from one network to another, its IP address lease might need renewal. When the DHCP Client service tries to renew the address, that request might go to a different server that will not extend the lease either because it does not know about this address lease or because it has already issued the address lease to another client.

This also happens when two DHCP servers are configured to give out addresses in the same IP address range.

And this...

User Action
    No user action is required. The DHCP Client service will continue trying to obtain a working IP address until it succeeds, and DHCP establishes the network connection on its own.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but then I know very little about these things. That's why I post here!!!

Advertisement