Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Definition

Options
  • 09-11-2006 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on high definition now that the xbox 360 has been out and about for a while ? Is it worth it ? How big of a difference does it make ?

I have a 37 inch Hd tv but havent hooked up the HD yet. I have to go buy a new connection.

Has anyone got comparative screenshots of normal resolution V high definition with xbox 360 games ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

tusky, if you wanna know the difference in all honesty all you have to do is this:

on your pc, find a nice looking game (far cry, hl2) and set it to 640x480 resolution. Play it for a half hour to get used to it.
    Then, bump it up to 1280x1024, and then youll see the difference between HD and normal TV's.
    But if you cant afford a hdtv, just do what i did, buy a nice big monitor and play on that, its just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I presume it makes a difference to games

I have a 32" Samung HDTV and I have seen the xbox dashboard (or whatever it's called) in both Standard Definition and 720p HD.

It does make a difference in in the dashboard, with in my opinion, a lot smoother and more vibrant picture in HD. So I presume it makes the same difference with games.

Gamespot.com had a comparsion article around launch time last year. Have a search there and try and find it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everything does look a lot crisper but to be honest I think you get a similar effect with a decent scart cable only nowhere near as good. However it's not a huge leap like when you buy a new graphics card. It's definitely not worth the 1000+ euro investment in a decent TV but if you have one handy then it's all good. I'd rather see the processing power being used to push more polygons and strange effects than in a higher resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm looking into HD right now. i'm planning on shelling out in January (hope to get a good price then). so far everything's damn expensive. xtra-vision have a 32" random company (mirai) for about €800 odd. a 23" samsung is €700, so i'm guessing it's a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

played PES 6 on a HD tv last weekend and there is a big difference tbh. Not sure if it's worth 1000 but I'm going to splurge anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My current philips widescreen CRT is massive so it would feel like a step backwards to get a 25" HD TV :D

I've done quite a bit of research into the HDtv's and for gaming the best one to get is Samsung, the contrast and brightness levels mean the picture looks very crisp and they have developed the tv's with MS so as to get the best settings for the 360. Also they screens are generally thought to be the best on the market at the moment.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-lns3241d.html

you can pick one up for under 1000 but it's likely to come down even more after xmas:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/263552/pack/lcd-tv-16-9-32-81-cm-hd-r.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

sprinkles wrote:
    I've done quite a bit of research into the HDtv's and for gaming the best one to get is Samsung, the contrast and brightness levels mean the picture looks very crisp and they have developed the tv's with MS so as to get the best settings for the 360. Also they screens are generally thought to be the best on the market at the moment.
    Even though I'm just about to order a Samsung there are better screens out there and I haven't heard to many good things about the gaming mode over on the AVForums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

My mate has a 37" toshiba that is available for about 1200 on pixmania now and the 360 looks amazing on it. Am thinking of going for one after xmas.

However what is really tempting is the 1080p Sharp Aquos 37XD1E. It's around 1700 on amazon for preorder and seems to be the dogs dangly bits

From what I've read the samsung screens are supposed to be one of the best, certainly better than the previous sony screens (which aren't even made by sony). Samsung are supposed to be releasing their new range soon enough which will reduce the price of the existing range.

The new sharp Aquos screens are supposed to be very sharp (no pun intended) but they come with a nice price tag too..

As for the gaming mode, I can't imagine it would be of too much benifit but it's a nice addition all the same. I did see the comparison between the samsung and the bravia in Currys a week or so ago. Both were showing the same Ice Age dvd and I ahve to say the samsung wiped the floor in terms of image sharpness, helped somehwat by the superior contrast ratio of the samsung.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    From what I've read the samsung screens are supposed to be one of the best, certainly better than the previous sony screens (which aren't even made by sony). Samsung are supposed to be releasing their new range soon enough which will reduce the price of the existing range.
    Samsung and Sony use the same screens and are made by a joint venture between the two. What new screens? Don't want to buy something close to a change over.
    sprinkles wrote:
    I did see the comparison between the samsung and the bravia in Currys a week or so ago. Both were showing the same Ice Age dvd and I ahve to say the samsung wiped the floor in terms of image sharpness, helped somehwat by the superior contrast ratio of the samsung.
    Funny that every review has the Sony as far better. Which Sony was it btw?

The superior contrast is just a marketing tool, Samsung are quoting the dynamic contrast while Sony is using the actual contrast. If you are looking at the Sony S series then the actual contrast ratios are about the same.

Off the top of my head I don't know which sony model and seen as Currys and Dixons are stopping distribution of sony tv's I'd imagine it's an earlier model. All I remember was that the samsung was 1000 and the sony was 1250, and even if they are the same screens that's a large jump for a different badge....

I thought the deal between samsung and sony only ran for their previous versions and all new models of both are using thier own screens?? Could be wrong....

EDIT: Sorry when I said they are releasing new screens I meant they are releasing new HD Slimfit CRT models to compete with the LCD models so there should be no problem buying the LCD for fear of them being outdated too soon :)

Still though this should see a reduction in prices (or so I hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In fairness I think Sony are overpriced for a lot of their electronics, especially TVs and their Vaio laptops.

I guess they rely on the strength of their brand. Couldn't say a bad thing about my Samsung, which are always cheaper than Sony models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

All this HD nonsense is getting to me a little... it's not that impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

sprinkles wrote:

EDIT: Sorry when I said they are releasing new screens I meant they are releasing new HD Slimfit CRT models to compete with the LCD models so there should be no problem buying the LCD for fear of them being outdated too soon :)

Those Samsung Slimfit TVs are already out and are not great, good price but due to the shortened length of the CRT straight lines appear bent on the screen.

Samsung LCD are good value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The superior contrast is just a marketing tool, Samsung are quoting the dynamic contrast while Sony is using the actual contrast. If you are looking at the Sony S series then the actual contrast ratios are about the same.

Thats a good point, an awful lot of people think the Samsungs are the best out there, far from it, they quote some precariously high figures.

Anyway to answer OP, Yes HD makes a huge difference I think, but the smaller the TV the less obvious they are, as obviously HD content is best viewed on as big a screen as possible.

I have to laugh at the bull**** marketing from Sony and Microsoft saying HD is the next step forward for videogaming. Most PC owners have been enjoying 'HD gaming' for over 20 years.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yup PC ftw people :p

But, if you cant afford an LCD television, just buy a 20" widescreen monitor and connect your Xbox360 with the vga cable...

Vegeta wrote:
    Those Samsung Slimfit TVs are already out and are not great, good price but due to the shortened length of the CRT straight lines appear bent on the screen.

Samsung LCD are good value for money
    Yet to see any.... how do they compare in price/quality?

One thing that annoys me abou HD tv's is how bad "current gen" consoles end up looking on them... mario kart DD looks grainy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

i'm looking into HD right now. i'm planning on shelling out in January (hope to get a good price then) xtra-vision have a 32" random company (mirai) for about €800 odd. a 23" samsung is €700, so i'm guessing it's a good price.

Get you know who to get one for discount in his job? :confused:
    Wait till Stephen's Day, get a sale price, and he will be able to get you another 10% off on top of that.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    Yet to see any.... how do they compare in price/quality?

One thing that annoys me abou HD tv's is how bad "current gen" consoles end up looking on them... mario kart DD looks grainy as hell.

I was going to buy one of the slimfits until i read the reviews and saw pictures on the net of them. In particular geometry wars being played on a 360

CRT is best but because they shortened the tube to make it "slimfit" some ov the TVs suffer from this pretty bad (straight lines around the edges being a bit bent) a lot of CRTs suffer from this though, even as i type this my 21 inch monitor here at work has it in the top right corner.

I cant understand why they don't just release a big HD CRT with all the fancy connections HDMI, VGA etc etc that also displays TV. I know i'd buy one straight away.

Anyway I agree completely about what the lads are saying, PC has been HD for years.

Vegeta wrote:
    I cant understand why they don't just release a big HD CRT with all the fancy connections HDMI, VGA etc etc that also displays TV. I know i'd buy one straight away.

Anyway I agree completely about what the lads are saying, PC has been HD for years.

In the US CRT HDTV's have been around for a while but the manufacturers choose not to sell them here, forcing LCD or plasma on us.
    Bareing that in mind CRT HDTV's cant display progressive material, only 720i and 1080i.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have an Aldi HD 42inch plasma that I got on a whim one day. Was interested in the whole HD thing so I bought a 360 + surround sound kit to see what all the fuss is about. Downloaded a few movie trailers from the XBOX Live site in both 1080 and 720 and wow - what a picture. Showed them to my wife one night and then we watched a normal DVD - she asked me what was wrong with the picture?? There was nothing wrong it was just an SD picture. So abandon all your predjudices and embrace HD - it is a beautiful thing. However buying an XBOX 360 and a 42inch plasma is not a cheap thing. Also MS are bringing out a XBOX HD DVD player this Christmas for around EUR200. Will be able to watch HD movies. Oh the joy.

Clank wrote:
    CRT HDTV's cant display progressive material, only 720i and 1080i.

Samsungs HD CRT slimfit range have same hd support as lcd and plasma's

720p included.

I don't claim to be the all knowing power on TVs or anything but two friend of mine work in a video lab here at work designing parts for TVs and they inform me that CRTs can indeed display progressive

Seriously why are there no top end CRT TVs in Ireland

All CRT PC monitors use progressive ;)

Hmm...dunno why I said that......was thinking of something else, sorry.

Get you know who to get one for discount in his job? :confused:
    Wait till Stephen's Day, get a sale price, and he will be able to get you another 10% off on top of that.

yeah that's an option for me alright but i'm wondering if, even with "you know who" giving me a discount, will it be cheaper then buying off komplett or whatever

yeah that's an option for me alright but i'm wondering if, even with "you know who" giving me a discount, will it be cheaper then buying off komplett or whatever

Ahh, it would. Hold out till the sale, and then get the discount. That's what I'm doing. My 360 is being abused connected via composite to a 21" SDTV :o atm.

• Advertisement

Ahh, it would. Hold out till the sale, and then get the discount. That's what I'm doing. My 360 is being abused connected via composite to a 21" SDTV :o atm.

yeah i've got a 25" SDTV, that's now a few years old... time to upgrade methinks

Advertisement