Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Definition

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

sumsung are bringing out new hdready crt,s if you look round dixons ,harvey norman they have large crts,one or 2 models.Around 700euro, check the specs carefully ready before you,buy as they may be hd ready,check the samsung website.If you have 360,you,ll need at least 1vga, or component connector .to get 720hd, i think.I think you,ll get a discount in the january sales,as new models come in,if you go 4 a 720i crthd tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

gamer wrote:
    sumsung are bringing out new hdready crt,s if you look round dixons ,harvey norman they have large crts,one or 2 models.Around 700euro, check the specs carefully ready before you,buy as they may be hd ready,check the samsung website.If you have 360,you,ll need at least 1vga, or component connector .to get 720hd, i think.I think you,ll get a discount in the january sales,as new models come in,if you go 4 a 720i crthd tv.
    That's what we've been talking about in the last few posts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Watched the 720p HD version of The Fifth Element last night, truly blown away even on a 26" screen. Can't wait to see more movies in it.
    I'd only seen a few HD clips up until then...not got a 360 but as others have said, been playing games at more than HD for years...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My no name dunnes bought 37" HD LCD only cost me €999 and its grand, playing 360 stuff on it, in fact went out and rebought Call of Duty 2 and Kameo just to see them in their HD glory, they look fantastic.
    The 360 will have a €200 or so HD DVD player by christmas and comes with a copy of King Kong in HD to show it of, roll on Christmas!
    But really, a HD set is by no means a must have item yet, Sky HD is very expensive, I reckon give it 12/18 months, Sky will have brought down the price, HD DVDs and Blu Ray disks should be common place and you'll have the 360 and PS3 to play on it, not to mention the fact that the screens themselves will have become even more affordable.

One last thing on the subject, don't be tempted into buying the biggest screen possible, a 42" TV sounds mighty good but only if you can sit well back to take it all in, try for a 32" or 37" if you have a standard or smaller living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Vegeta wrote:
    I don't claim to be the all knowing power on TVs or anything but two friend of mine work in a video lab here at work designing parts for TVs and they inform me that CRTs can indeed display progressive

Seriously why are there no top end CRT TVs in Ireland

Theres a HDTV CRT in DID electric in bray, only place I've ever seen on in Ireland. Was mad seeing a CRT that size with a half decent picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is there any benefit in watching a normal dvd through your xbox 360/hd tv ? Or does the dvd HAVE to be HD aswell ? I dont understand that...would have just thought that the screen being high res would have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Not sure if the current 360 drive can do this, but a lot of dvd players now can upscale dvd resolution to 720p. Essentially it's fake HD but they sample the source disk quickly enough to help the picture along, smoothing out some of the blockiness that starts to get shown up now that everyone is moving up to larger screens. These can be bought for about €100, but worth checking if the 360's HD-DVD drive coming soon can do this for your dvd collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Theres a HDTV CRT in DID electric in bray, only place I've ever seen on in Ireland. Was mad seeing a CRT that size with a half decent picture.

There in every decent electronic retailer. Although the only brand that seem to do them are samsung, "slimfit" range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

HD really needs at least a 37" screen to show it off properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

I was looking at getting http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314485 telly to go with the 360 i was also thinking of getting. Now the thing is that space is an issue and the biggest telly i could fit is a 26" or maybe a 27". That aside, is it worth getting the 23" from samsung.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

4Xcut wrote:
    I was looking at getting http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314485 telly to go with the 360 i was also thinking of getting. Now the thing is that space is an issue and the biggest telly i could fit is a 26" or maybe a 27". That aside, is it worth getting the 23" from samsung.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks

i was looking at that, then decided i could get the 26" samsung, so i've had that page bookmarked on komplett. THEN, a mate of mine who has a 23" for his PC told me HD quality really needs as big a tv as you can afford. i know you say space is an issue, but 32" will properly show off the system. that's what i've settled on anyway

THEN, a mate of mine who has a 23" for his PC told me HD quality really needs as big a tv as you can afford.
    It really depends on your viewing distance, the bigger the screen is the more the pixels are spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ok heres my question, you know the way all flatscreen t.v.'s make everything look like its been filmed with a really ****ty camera, does the HDTV element sort this out or is it the same way?

Now to people out there that are going to say what the **** am i on about and that it doesnt happen, you can spare it every non crt i have ever watched looked abysmal.

Patricide wrote:
    Ok heres my question, you know the way all flatscreen t.v.'s make everything look like its been filmed with a really ****ty camera, does the HDTV element sort this out or is it the same way?

Now to people out there that are going to say what the **** am i on about and that it doesnt happen, you can spare it every non crt i have ever watched looked abysmal.
    HD LCD/Plasma/RPTV/Projectors all bring out the ****ty quality in most broadcast TV. You should get a better image from DVD and a much better image from a HD source.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Standard definition broadcast footage is mostly 720*576 resolution and some is anamorphic 16:9 720*576 footage.

When you play this on most HD televsions that have resolutions like 1366 x 768 it will look pants, because it is being stretched and enlarged, so it will start to get pixelated and grainy.

Download a 320*240 video from google video, and play it fullscreen on your PC and you'll see what I mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

Google the words "look, sound,perfect" to get an idea of what HD-DVD will be like. A lot of false advertising on the site but some impressive trailers none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

sprinkles wrote:
    Yet to see any.... how do they compare in price/quality?

One thing that annoys me abou HD tv's is how bad "current gen" consoles end up looking on them... mario kart DD looks grainy as hell.
    I found that with GTA San Andreas... looked like a PS1 game :(
    But I have a US copy of MKDD which supports progressive scan, so it looks freakin sweet on a HDTV.
    Even though european GC games don't support progressive scan, make sure to at least use component (YPbPr or RGB) video cables to get it looking its best. Viewing anything on a HDTV over composite video is wasting your investment.

Unfortunately, the GC YPbPr cable is a proprietary thing (the cable itself does the digital-analogue conversion) that's no longer "in print", so mine set me back $70 :(
    I think the RGB SCART one can be third party though, so you might find it on the cheap and RGB will do fine since you can't get progscan anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Cheers for that... I'll be on the lookout for an RGB cable so

Advertisement