Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Consumption: 2litre automatic Toyota Avensis

Options
  • 09-11-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea what the fuel consumption on a 2litre automatic Toyota Avensis (an 02 model) would be like? I've seen the Toyota figures but how far are they from reality?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

TBH the 2.0 is around the same as the 1.8, both performance and economy wise. I'd be expecting 35-37 mpg on average for a mixture of open roads and tyown driving. The D-4D is a far better option than the VVT-i. more powerful in real life, and more plentiful. Run out "Luna" spec is similar enough to 2.0 VVT-i Sol spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'd be expecting 35-37 mpg on average for a mixture of open roads and tyown driving.

Optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    Optimistic?
    Very! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Colm mcm.. thank you.

And given it's an automatic, how much more will it use compared to manual? Mostly open road driving?

And anyone with pessimistic figures? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your that concerned about fuel consumption maybe you would be better off looking at a diesel car.

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering what to expect. What's the hit between say a 1.6 automatic manual and 2.0 automatic? 15% 30%? 40%?

I would say there would be quite a noticable difference in fuel consumption between a 1.6 manual and a 2.0 auto. Not really a fair comparison though. On the other hand the difference between a 2.0 manual and 2.0 auto may not be too bad.

The Avensis also came in 1.8 litre with a auto box. Not really much demand for an Avensis with an auto box in Ireland so they are pretty rare and any are hard to sell. So if you find one you should be able to haggle a good bit on the price.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    TBH the 2.0 is around the same as the 1.8, both performance and economy wise. I'd be expecting 35-37 mpg on average for a mixture of open roads and tyown driving.

Ridiculously optimistic. 30mpg is nearer the mark. 3 or 4mpg less again if you've a heavy right foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I drive a 1.8 20v Auto (125bhp) and its always between 30 and 31. Mixed rural/suburban and a bit of urban.

Mike.

The official combined figure of the 2.0 auto is 32MPG. Seeing as it's a only a 4-speed, even that figure is probably very optimistic except perhaps for someone with an extraordinarily light foot

The official figure of the 1.6 manual is 20% better, but I wouldn't be surprised if that worked out at 25%-30% in real life

• Advertisement

oops, didn't spot the automatic bit. pull that back by 3 or 4mpg. sorry to mislead. 32-34 mpg. Anyone who has ever had a 2.0 manual will verify that they don't use any more than the 1.8. (or go much faster)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I have a 2.0 manual petrol (6speed)and the last 5k have averaged over 36mpg, stick it on cruise on an open road and get >42mpg.

Thanks for answers, so it would be reasonable to expect 28-30mpg.

An 02 automatic 2litre, 40k miles from a Toyota dealer for €10,750. Full service history and no reason to believe it isn't genuine. Fair price?

Wasn't really looking for a 2litre or an automatic but 4 year old 1.6/1.8 manuals with low mileage seem hard to find.

embraer170 wrote:
    Thanks for answers, so it would be reasonable to expect 28-30mpg.

An 02 automatic 2litre, 40k miles from a Toyota dealer for €10,750. Full service history and no reason to believe it isn't genuine. Fair price?

Wasn't really looking for a 2litre or an automatic but 4 year old 1.6/1.8 manuals with low mileage seem hard to find.

Should be buying that car for around €9.5k to €10k. A 2.0 litre petrol Avensis with an auto gearbox is harder to shift than a 1.6 or 1.8 manual irrespective of mileage so haggle hard. My local Toyota dealer has a 2.0 litre petrol manual Avensis sitting on his forecourt for about a year now with moss growing around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

the neighbours have 2 of the things in manual and have replaced the 1.6 with a 1.8 and the old 1.8 with a 2 litre so there must be some sort of differnece. I think the 2.0 in the run out was D-4 petrol???????? as opposed to VVT-i if it makes any difference to those who know their stuff

D-4 is direct injection, but also noisier than the normal VVT-i.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...for the mention of looking at diesel, well, Toyota don't offer any auto diesels, for some strange reason - pity, as it's what I'm looking for....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Land Cruiser and Corolla the only Toyotas with a diesel auto option I'm afraid.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Land Cruiser and Corolla the only Toyotas with a diesel auto option I'm afraid.

That's the second huge mistake. Are the Japs thick, backwards, stubborn, or a bit of all? :(

The European taxi market is up for grabs after taxi drivers lost faith in Mercedes-Benz. They're just after replacing their E-class with an Avensis diesel manual in the hope that their next car will be an auto. If none will be available, they'll crawl back to Mercs, or more likely, to VAG (read:Skoda) diesel autos

unkel wrote:
    That's the second huge mistake. Are the Japs thick, backwards, stubborn, or a bit of all? :(

The European taxi market is up for grabs after taxi drivers lost faith in Mercedes-Benz. They're just after replacing their E-class with an Avensis diesel manual in the hope that their next car will be an auto. If none will be available, they'll crawl back to Mercs, or more likely, to VAG (read:Skoda) diesel autos

I'm sure they'll get over it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies, bought it.

unkel wrote:

Interesting that they are not running out replacing their Mercs with diesel BMWs or Audis, instead opting for little humble Toyotas.

BTW the Avensis diesel has been available with an auto box in Europe for a while, I've been in one or two of them. Just little or no demand in Ireland for them, Toyota only make available what they know they can sell.

embraer170 wrote:
    Thanks for your replies, bought it.

Best of luck with it. How much did it cost you in the end if you don't mind me asking.

€10,250.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm sure they'll get over it.

I'm sure they will. Isn't Toyota set to become the biggest car manufacturer in the world this year for the first time?
    bazz26 wrote:
    Interesting that they are not running out replacing their Mercs with diesel BMWs or Audis, instead opting for little humble Toyotas.

Good point - interesting indeed. Perhaps in the past the only decent car that could take an interstellar mileage and still be overall cheap to run was a Merc. Perhaps disillusioned taxi drivers opt for something more basic, swallowing their pride by no longer driving a generally respected executive class saloon and instead be seen in a jap?
    bazz26 wrote:
    the Avensis diesel has been available with an auto box in Europe for a while

Where? Haven't seen any yet in France/Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

As I suggested before, it would be a winner from a taxi drivers' point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

When I was in Germany a while back they all drove Merc taxis. I asked one taxi driver why not BMW. He told me (as best he could) that BMW are no good for taxis.

And true enough you could go from one end of the week to another and not see a 5 series with taxi plates (here or in Berlin). Any ideas why? It isn't price,as there are still a fair few newish Merc taxis around.

unkel wrote:
    I'm sure they will. Isn't Toyota set to become the biggest car manufacturer in the world this year for the first time?

Good point - interesting indeed. Perhaps in the past the only decent car that could take an interstellar mileage and still be overall cheap to run was a Merc. Perhaps disillusioned taxi drivers opt for something more basic, swallowing their pride by no longer driving a generally respected executive class saloon and instead be seen in a jap?

I'd say taxi drivers are not that vain in that they are overly concerned about what others see them driving in or the image they give off. At the end of the day the car they use is the car that provides them with a living. They can have all the executive badges, comforts and images they want but if the car is off the road more times than on it then they would to change jobs to survive.

As already said there are other German "executive cars" out there for similar money with similar preseved images as MB so the question has to asked why are they overlooking them?

Anyway comparing a Toyota to a Merc, BMW or Audi is not fair as the Toyota only costs about half price of one of them. I would expect the others to be better.
    unkel wrote:
    Where? Haven't seen any yet in France/Germany/Belgium/Netherlands

As I suggested before, it would be a winner from a taxi drivers' point of view

We were in Amsterdam over the summer and one taxi we were in was an Avensis diesel, it was pretty high spec too with leather interior, etc and I'm pretty sure it was an auto. The was also the usual E and S Classes and surprisingly a few Lexus too. I did also see one 7 Series however.

never heard of Avensis diesel auto. surprising they don't even offer it as a special order if it's being built for other markets, Toyota Ireland offer a 2.4 automatic in the Avensis, so I don't see why they wouldn't offer a diesel auto if it's being built. as the 2.4 is a complete non runner.

Advertisement