Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT tomorrow

Options
  • 09-11-2006 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

Hoping to VRT car tomorrow.

Its a 1984 Merc 500 SEC, petrol, auto, 100k miles and its in excellent condition.

Originally, I went to VRT office in Tallaght the day after I tool ownership. Was told VRT was 1981 euro. Went to bank and got draft. Came back and was told I shouldn't have been given that quote as the car is classic and they'd have to send off for a price, I was subsequently given a price of 1575.

While waiting for the price I emailed VRT office in Santry. Guy there told me it all depends on the condition of the car and that they will inspect it. (No mention/ chance of them doing that in Tallaght office?). He said it will be 30% of either 3000 (Poor condition), 4500 (Good) or 6000 (Perfect).

How do they actually value this? Do they have a classic car expert on hand(I'm thinking not! and that price could vary from person to person and its pure luck)?

I reckon I'll try Santry, get a price, if its less than the 1575 I'll go with it, otherwise head to Tallaght and pay the 1575?

Anyone any experience with a car inspection like this? Any advice on getting lowest valuation?

Cheers,

Ruppert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ruppert wrote:
    Hi all,

Hoping to VRT car tomorrow.

Its a 1984 Merc 500 SEC, petrol, auto, 100k miles and its in excellent condition.

Originally, I went to VRT office in Tallaght the day after I tool ownership. Was told VRT was 1981 euro. Went to bank and got draft. Came back and was told I shouldn't have been given that quote as the car is classic and they'd have to send off for a price, I was subsequently given a price of 1575.

While waiting for the price I emailed VRT office in Santry. Guy there told me it all depends on the condition of the car and that they will inspect it. (No mention/ chance of them doing that in Tallaght office?). He said it will be 30% of either 3000 (Poor condition), 4500 (Good) or 6000 (Perfect).

How do they actually value this? Do they have a classic car expert on hand(I'm thinking not! and that price could vary from person to person and its pure luck)?

I reckon I'll try Santry, get a price, if its less than the 1575 I'll go with it, otherwise head to Tallaght and pay the 1575?

Anyone any experience with a car inspection like this? Any advice on getting lowest valuation?

Cheers,

Ruppert
    Would it not have to be at least 25 years old to be defined, for tax purposes, as a "classic"? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No. There is no definition, for Irish taxation purposes as a classic car.

The only relevance is for insurance purposes. Some will classify a 15 year old car as a classic.

The only relevant definition is "vintage" which is a 30 year or older car. These can be imported with a tiny VRT charge (€50), and can be taxed for 12 months for similar. They are NCT free also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

See this thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055010894
    Some wise members of this board will point out how you are breaking the law by not importing the car the day after you bring it in.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sundy wrote:
    Some wise members of this board will point out how you are breaking the law by not importing the car the day after you bring it in.:rolleyes:
    Registering?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ruppert wrote:

Sounds like a plan. Just checked the vrt website and they are looking for €2268 for a 500SE of your year / mileage. Obviously your SEC is worth more, so €1575 seems like a pretty good quote

Any pics, BTW? I love those old SECs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Registering?

Yes well done thats the offical word for it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I'm heading their myself sometime today. Just trying to finish registering my van. It's being a month since i first was their with the van. i'll keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donalf

I bought a 1968 bmw 2002 in london on sunday. After many phone calls I have figured out that i need to bring it up to the office in tallaght for an inspection. Have been told on phone that as its > 30 years old the oly cost will be 50 euro for vrt and same for tax.

2 questions.

1. The office that deal with registration number generation is in Rosslare. I got on to the as i wanted to check availability of 68 d 2002 ... they said that as car is older than 1974 that I couldnt pick a reg ?? So i can either:

- take next 68 reg ...68 D 246
    - or take a zv reg ... someting like ZV 8765

Any advice on the pro's and con's of each ?

2. My insurance company say that the car needs to go through NCT b4 they will insure me.

I seem to remember that an engineers report would suffice in the past...

Anyone any comments / advice on this bit...

PS...I love jumping through hoops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

donalf wrote:
    I bought a 1968 bmw 2002 in london on sunday. After many phone calls I have figured out that i need to bring it up to the office in tallaght for an inspection. Have been told on phone that as its > 30 years old the oly cost will be 50 euro for vrt and same for tax.

2 questions.

1. The office that deal with registration number generation is in Rosslare. I got on to the as i wanted to check availability of 68 d 2002 ... they said that as car is older than 1974 that I couldnt pick a reg ?? So i can either:

- take next 68 reg ...68 D 246
    - or take a zv reg ... someting like ZV 8765

Any advice on the pro's and con's of each ?

2. My insurance company say that the car needs to go through NCT b4 they will insure me.

I seem to remember that an engineers report would suffice in the past...

Anyone any comments / advice on this bit...

PS...I love jumping through hoops...
    Go with ZV plates rather than the year. The year plate looks out of place, a ZV looks more authentic on a classic car, even though both are reserved for imports.

Cars over 30 years old are exempt from NCT testing (AFAIK). Engineers report will have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

donalf wrote:
    Vintage -> No NCT

• Advertisement
Advertisement