Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stan: San Marino "difficult to break down"

• 09-11-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

From unison.ie

HERE'S a good one. Have you heard about the international team that has conceded 20 goals in their last two matches but is apparently still difficult to break down? They're coming to a stadium near you.

That was Steve Staunton's verdict on San Marino yesterday as he named his squad for the European Championship clash with the Group D minnows at Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.
    It's manager speak of course and the Louth man can't honestly expect that anyone would take such a comment seriously. After all, Germany hit the perennial no-hopers for 13 and the Czech Republic knocked seven past them.

In defence of his tenure to date, Staunton will point out that we frightened the life out of the group's two big guns, but surely we should be aiming for the same kind of standards.

Then again, after Cyprus, it's fair to assume that nothing can be taken for granted. And it's clear that the rookie manager desperately wants to get three points on the board and a stress-free evening.

Surprises

That's why the one surprise about his selection yesterday was that there really was no surprises in the personnel.

To date, each one of Staunton's competitive selections has included something of a shock factor. From Sean St Ledger's trip to Germany to the raft of youngsters that were summoned for Cyprus before logic dictated that pride had to be swallowed and Lee Carsley must return for the Czech game.

This time around, Carsley is in from the start and the only youngsters to make the cut are those such as Wayne Henderson, Paul McShane, Stephen Kelly, Stephen Ireland and Aiden McGeady who have proved themselves in recent outings.

That was how Staunton qualified the decision to leave Anthony Stokes in the B squad with the clear inference being that any further additions to the four-year plan will have to be patient for now. Not even the prospect of a visit from the poor relations of European football is a suitable excuse for even the slightest bit of experimentation, although it's probably a fair argument that Stokes would be better served with a lengthy run out for the B team rather than a cameo for the senior side.

"He's 18 and it would be easy to throw him in but we have to win.

"It's the last game at Lansdowne Road so it's going to be an emotional night for the supporters as well as everyone else," says Staunton.

"Anthony has always had the potential. He went backwards at Arsenal obviously for a while but going to Falkirk has given him a new lease of life and he's thriving on it.

"Every competitive game we play will be treated the same way. San Marino make life very difficult.

"They make it very difficult and they play with nearly four centre halves. They're difficult to break down so it's just a case of being patient and keeping a high tempo."

When it was put to him if a 1-0 win would be acceptable, Staunton simply responded that he would settle for three points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

"Anthony has always had the potential. He went backwards at Arsenal obviously for a while but going to Falkirk has given him a new lease of life and he's thriving on it.

Did he go backwards at Arsenal ? He is only flipping 18! Looks to me as if Arsenal are handling him perfectly - plenty of reserve football and now a good loan move, Stan's stint at Walsall must have given him a great insight into how to develop better players than Arsenal.

"They make it very difficult and they play with nearly four centre halves. They're difficult to break down so it's just a case of being patient and keeping a high tempo."

Yeaah, i think TheJesusWarrant covered that one. Maybe Stan just cant get his mind around it, but i think 20 goals in 2 games means they are very much not difficult to break down.

Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

whats he supposed to say?

"There ****, it will be a disgraceful performance if we dont stick in atleast 7 goals."

Yea, that would be a real smart thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I've heard of not trying to annoy the opposition before a match, but that's just taking the p1ss - San Marino difficult to break down :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Or is Staunton more aprehensive of the fact that Ireland won't score something like 4 goals (plus) against them. After all, everyone thought they would beat Cyprus and we all remember how well that turned out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Thats football-speak for "dont expect a lot of goals". We have to treat this game serious as its part of the recovery process. Of course we have to win, as does every team against San Marino. Staunton is being over-cautious perhaps but lets hold off on criticisms until after the match. Fans need to get behind their teams rather than looking for cracks and flaws. Fans in this reard, and as was shown in the last match, are different to the media who are looking for heads on plates at every opportunity.

My two eurocents worth ....

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Please tell me he didn't say such things :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well he has to say to that, his neck is on the line and he won't be demanding 5/6 goals because the team won't be able to deliver them

we've never have the ability to score goals against minnows like San Marino

under Staunton's management scoring 2 goals against San Marino would be an achivement in the current circumstances, he knows this too

most managers respect minnow oppositions anyway so he's doing nothing wrong in that instance but the fact is if we do beat San Marino 2-0 he'll be calling it a great result which will be ludicrous, that's what concerns me about Staunton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

To be fair to Staunton...

...nope, I can't finish that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Getting his excuses in early, shows hard work and diligence.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

seansouth wrote:
    To be fair to Staunton...

...nope, I can't finish that.
    What is it with this attitude toward Staunton and the national team? He's in a no win situation, what do you expect him to say? We're going to exclipse Germany and the Czechs and score 13? I'm sure he is hoping for three or four nil, which I think we'll get seeing as we have pretty much a fully fit squad.

I'm sure if they do return a seven nil scoreline or something, we'll get the same people giving it the "Oh we should be beating them at least that".

Grow up FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd love to see us hammer them eleventytwelve nil, but I'll take 3 points thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm afraid that a stuttering 2 - 0 win will not satisfy the majority of the public and will be considered a bit of a disaster. 3 points is 3 points, but that is the absolute bare minimum that we need to see in this game. If the team doesn't play with any fluidity and struggles to breakdown absolute no - hopers in the last match at Landsdowne it will rubberstamp an undeniably awful start to Staunton's reign.

The quotes are pure idiotic media twaddle. Blah, Blah. Most managers are dull in such press - conferences.

Its just the preception. Sometimes you see a Manager interviewed before a game and even though the oppostion are poor they still pay them credit, it will be tough, they will be up for it etc etc etc.
    But you just know in the dressing room the story is different and he lets the players know it And thats fair enough you dont want to slag off the oppostion its disrespectful and it could come back to bite you in the ass. The problem is with Stan when he says these things he kind of gives the impression he really believes them and that he projects them onto the team. He just seems so down and full of gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hope we hammer them. The team needs to start scoring goals.
    Robbie missed a bread and butter chance against the Czechs to win the game. It's against teams like San Marino that you can try things out and hopefully get a few goals.

As far as what Stan said goes... I think he's just saying that sh1t to "give credit" to San Marino.
    I don't think the Germans held a press conference before their game and said ve must himmer zem 13-0! At the same time I doubt they said San Marino would be tough to break down.
    I reckon a 5-0 comfortable victory.

Gillie wrote:
    I reckon a 5-0 comfortable victory.

5 - 0 would be fantastic i think. It would be nice to see the strikers get back into form. Anyone would be happy with 5 - Nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

be happy with 1-0 tbh

then again we're not gonna qualify so wtfc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Stan is showing his immaturity as a manager. His choice of words leaves him open to criticism. He needs to learn and learn fast because its clear from the "outrage" these comments caused, that every mistake he makes will be pounced upon and magnified until he is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think we will draw 1-1 next Wednesday.

Stan will send us out and we'll score then he'll go defensive and the San Marinians will score late on the we wont be able to score.

Its not the Ireland of old were talking about its a new Ireland , we have new standards, yes we would be expected to beat San Marino, but a 2 or 3 nil victory would be an achievment for Ireland in the present atmosphere. I personally am dreading the match and am hoping for a 1 or 2 nil victory but its going to be very difficult if we don't score in the first 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think we will draw 1-1 next Wednesday.

Stan will send us out and we'll score then he'll go defensive and the San Marinians will score late on the we wont be able to score.

Its not the Ireland of old were talking about its a new Ireland , we have new standards, yes we would be expected to beat San Marino, but a 2 or 3 nil victory would be an achievment for Ireland in the present atmosphere. I personally am dreading the match and am hoping for a 1 or 2 nil victory but its going to be very difficult if we don't score in the first 30 minutes.
    Come on. San Marino are on par with a top Irish Sunday league team. It's a case of how many we score. It's ridiculous to think we won't beat them, it's an absolute banker.

eirebhoy wrote:
    It's ridiculous to think we won't beat them, it's an absolute banker.

:) Famous last words

Not really. There's no doubt we'll win. :)

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Not really. There's no doubt we'll win. :)
    Even 1 and a half months ago that would of been my opinion. But whats has been revealed in the last month means that nothing is a certainty for Ireland anymore.

Even 1 and a half months ago that would of been my opinion. But whats has been revealed in the last month means that nothing is a certainty for Ireland anymore.
    Cyprus are a much different proposition though. They're always tough to beat at home. Stan played our worst Irish central midfield I can ever remember and tbh, I wasn't expecting us to win even before kick off. Monaghan would beat San Marino though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

See if he'd said "difficult for US to break down" he'd have been heralded as someone who actually knew what he was talking about. Amazing how one little word can make such a difference.

I'm 99% confident we'll win on Wednesday but won't be surprised if we don't. Any organisation that can take 20 highly paid pro footballers to an international back-water and put on a performance like we did against Cyprus is literally capable of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

As bad as things are, it's impossible to see Ireland not winning on Wednesday. San Marino's recent results would suggest they are possibly the worst team in Europe, and I think they're ranked in the bottom 3 or 4 in the world. I won't expect a glut of goals as we rarely score that many even against the crap teams, 3-0 would do and anything more a bonus. We just don't have the craft up front to go on a scoring spree like the Germans did.

Stan's comments can be taken with a pinch of salt. He knows we'll win, he's just being diplomatic towards the San Marino crowd (though saying they are 'hard to break down' is talking sh1te even by his standards). Problem with Stan is he doesn't come across well at all in interviews, and this will not help his cause. He isn't the most articulate guy and doesn't really inspire any confidence by the things he says or the way he says them.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

whats he supposed to say?

"There ****, it will be a disgraceful performance if we dont stick in atleast 7 goals."

Yea, that would be a real smart thing to say.
    Exactly. Settle down everyone.

The San Marino captain was asked in an article i read yesterday whether he thought his team had any chance against Ireland, he replied " no absolutely none".

The San Marino captain was asked in an article i read yesterday whether he thought his team had any chance against Ireland, he replied " no absolutely none".
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-2449774,00.html

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What is it with this attitude toward Staunton and the national team?

'this attitude' is probably born of the fact that Staunton should never have been appointed, and that the majority of the current wearers of the Irish shirt are putting **** all effort in more than a few matches. Staunton was a ridiculous, moronic choice by that fool Delaney, and we're being forced to put up with these brutal, pride-free performances as a result.

Having said that, seeing as San Marino are ranked 194th in the world we have to beat them at least 4-0 tomorrow to restore some dignity.

Played 3, Lost 2, Drawn 1.
    1 point from 9.
    Manager talks up lowly opposition.
    Good times.

• Advertisement

'this attitude' is probably born of the fact that Staunton should never have been appointed, and that the majority of the current wearers of the Irish shirt are putting **** all effort in more than a few matches. Staunton was a ridiculous, moronic choice by that fool Delaney, and we're being forced to put up with these brutal, pride-free performances as a result.
    Let's be honest, Staunton was hardly going to turn down the opportunity, so who cares whether he should or should not have been appointed, because he was.

The only competitive game that I would have considered "pride-free" was the Cyprus game, and that was a game where we were missing countless senior players.

Staunton is there and will be until the end of the campaign at least, IMO the only thing that is moronic and ridiculous are notions that people would cheer for Irelands opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

irish team to play san marino

given
    finnan
    mcshane
    dunne
    o`shea
    duff
    carsley
    reid
    keane
    doyle
    kilbane

That's actually quite a decent squad. Probably our best starting 11. We'll more than likely hammer San Marino but in spite of this watch how Stan messes up the after match Press Conference.

Did I hear right on the radio the other day that Stan was dropping Paddy Kenny from the squad because of poor form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Did I hear right on the radio the other day that Stan was dropping Paddy Kenny from the squad because of poor form?

Yes
    Warnock critisied stan for doing so as Kenny has been playing well for Sheff Utd

Stan named the team against Germany the day before the match to confuse them imo. Nobody expected S.Reid to play on the right that day and I think most people thought it'd be Finnan on the right with Reid in the centre. He didn't name the team before Cyprus game probably because it was too easy to predict their positions. Therefore, I'd expect a suprise for tomorrow's lineup. Any one of 3 can play on the left and the right. Any of 2 can play in the centre. Most people would expect it to be Kilbane but I wouldn't be suprised if it was A.Reid with Kilbane on the left.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Stan named the team against Germany the day before the match to confuse them imo. Nobody expected S.Reid to play on the right that day and I think most people thought it'd be Finnan on the right with Reid in the centre. He didn't name the team before Cyprus game probably because it was too easy to predict their positions. Therefore, I'd expect a suprise for tomorrow's lineup. Any one of 3 can play on the left and the right. Any of 2 can play in the centre. Most people would expect it to be Kilbane but I wouldn't be suprised if it was A.Reid with Kilbane on the left.
    True.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more of a 4-3-3 with Keane, Doyle and Duff up front. He experimented with this in some of the friendlies and perhaps he feels if he really goes at them from the off that he can get an early goal or two which will settle the team, and perhaps then they can push on for a confidence boosting five or six.

• Advertisement

Yes
    Warnock critisied stan for doing so as Kenny has been playing well for Sheff Utd
    He just makes it too easy to criticse him. He really does!
    eirebhoy wrote:
    With Stan I wouldn't be surprised at anything at this stage. Given in Midfield? Kilbane in Goal?

eirebhoy wrote:
    ...suprise....tomorrow...
    Those 2 words fill me with fear.

Sky Sports News and a few radio stations reckon he's going to play a diamond. Something like:

Given
    Finnan---Dunne---McShane---O'Shea
    Carsley
    ----Duff
    Kilbane---
    Reid

Keane
    Doyle

I'd be happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Sorry slightly ot, but I didn't realise tomorrow was our last ever game at the current Lansdowne Road.

Is it expected to be easy to get tickets outside the stadium before the match? I might need as much as 3, preferably Upper East Stand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cool, thanks. For some reason I assumed all our home qualifiers were pre-sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Staunton is a ****ing idiot. I'd be happy to sacrifice a result vs San Marino if it meant we were free of his stupidity. I don't think there is any way we can quality for Europe now anyway (with or without him).

Stauton is not going anywhere, you can be sure of that. Delaney hired him so he won't fire him. Certainly not before the end of this campaign anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

we should be winning this, i want to see at least 3 goals scored (.....by us :D ) after a slight 'comeback' by Stans men in the last match they have to be getting a solid result here, if we dont beat them well every other team in our group will.

Otherwise its time for a regime change in the dugout (.....pity that could'nt include the mandarins of Merrion SQ as well)

Advertisement