Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT -Lights

Options
  • 09-11-2006 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

Can you fail the NCT Test if you're dims are slightly out of focus..
    Will you have to pay the 27.50 to retest the car for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunno about focus, but you can definately fail for misaligned lights. And you do have to pay the retest fee as its not just a visual test, they need to use equipment etc to measure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MrJones wrote:
    Can you fail the NCT Test if you're dims are slightly out of focus..
    What do you mean by "out of focus"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You will get the info here http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf (Section 39). It's too complex to post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do they still fail on light intensity (if there is a visible difference between the two lights)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Best go to a garage you had good experiences with before and get your dipped head lights focused. Should only cost about 20euro and saves the hassle of having to go back to the NCT test center.
    Keep the garages receipt though, just in-case the NCT fail yea, yea can go back and complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm assuming you mean headlight alignment. Focusing of the beam is done by the reflective surface and/or the headlamp glass.

Most branches of Advance Pit Stop, FastFit, etc will do this for you and you can just drive in without appointment.

I think you will have to pay the retest fee to the NCT. It's more than a visual inspection and requires the use of test equipment and the NCT folks will apply the fee. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Do they still fail on light intensity (if there is a visible difference between the two lights)?

No, not part of the test anymore.

Most branches of Advance Pit Stop, FastFit, etc will do this for you and you can just drive in without appointment.

Please, go to a proper garage! They may charge a bit more, but Advance is abolutely useless.

And make sure, the little switch on the dash, (the one, that allows you to adjust your headlights....usually has a little scale from 1-5 on it), is set on O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Thanks for all the advise.
    I got the headlamp alignment done by a garage this morning.
    And it wasn't in Advanced Pitstop either. I had a bad experience bringing my car there too a couple of months ago.Never again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cosmo K wrote:
    No, not part of the test anymore.
    It wasn't part of the test when mine got a fail/advisory. I believe that they were continuing to pull people on it after the light fail/advisorys became a full fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

MrJones wrote:
    I got the headlamp alignment done by a garage this morning.

How much did you pay? I was charged €25.

• Advertisement
Advertisement