Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty fee or Duty Free?

Options
  • 09-11-2006 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

Again I turn to this board for help and advise as you have served me well in the past.

About a month ago i got an iriver from a seller in new york on eBay. just yesterday i get a invoice from Fedex asking for 40euro for duty fees (payment due immediately i am told by Fedex). I am just wondering is this just because I bought something from the USA or is it because of the price/value of the item? I have bought plenty of stuff from eBay before but never from the USA, always Hong Kong or UK. Anyone who can explain customs and dutys charges please let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Anywhere outside the EU afaik, you might have duty to pay on the item. It is calculated on the value of the item I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Fees due for all product from outside EU = Duty on item cost + cost of delivery. Vat on total of duty + delivery charge + cost of item.

If the item is valued under €50 it normally goes through duty & vat free - hence CDWOW product not liable to vat & duty.

Advertisement