Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best legal music downloading software

Options
  • 09-11-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

What is the best legal music downloading software at the moment...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I can only think of itunes(is that software even?). Apart from that i dont think there is any legal software to download music.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

emusic seems like a good place for downloading music
    mp3 instead of copy protected stuff and subscription based fees

eircoms service was good when you could buy a song for a limited time, I think the songs lasted a year, the price of their songs now is similar or more expensive than itunes

If you look around the net you can find a fair amount of legal free songs, mainly on bands websites etc

might be worth checking out internet archives audio section, http://www.archive.org/details/audio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

What is the best legal music downloading software at the moment...

MP3 Rocket from allcoolmusic.com. thats what i use and 100% legal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

MP3 Rocket from allcoolmusic.com. thats what i use and 100% legal
    I'm pretty sure MP3 Rocket is illegal, never heard of the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

It did state on their website that the software was legal, as is emule....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Don't ever download "legal" music, it's theft (from you by the record companies, which is just as bad as the "theft" they prosecute grannies for). Buy a CD and rip it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

http://www.allofmp3.com/ is totally legal. I believe the RIAAA tried to bring them to court but failed because of Russias lax copyright laws.

I guess the RIAA wouldnt be too happy with you but theres not too much they can too. Unless of course you would feel guilty taking those poor artists/record labels hard earned cash away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

As far as I am aware all major Credit Card Companies have withdrawn from Allofmp3.com.

So how you top up your a/c may not be that secure now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Don't ever download "legal" music, it's theft (from you by the record companies, which is just as bad as the "theft" they prosecute grannies for). Buy a CD and rip it.

wtf are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

I think you have picked me up wrong, when I said legal I meant legal not "legal"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

that makes absolutely no sense and is actually quite scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

that makes absolutely no sense and is actually quite scary

I'm guessing that what he means is that Itunes, for instance, is legal, but www.allofmp3.com is "legal".

the latter, with added inverted commas, is only legal insofar as nobody has managed to prove that it's *not* legal. It's where one moves from legality to morality; i've no great love for huge musical corporations either, but it's quite obvious that if Artist X would get,say, 20c a song when it's downloaded for 99c on iTunes and then on www.allofmp3.com the song is being sold for a tenth of that, then the artist is getting screwed. Period.

to answer the OP. www.emusic.com is quite good. Presently they've an offer of 25 free downloads if you sign up; the music there isn't exactly chart-tastic, but for more settled and mature (i.e. old) stuff, it's the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Yellow Dog wrote:
    As far as I am aware all major Credit Card Companies have withdrawn from Allofmp3.com.

So how you top up your a/c may not be that secure now.

That is not true. you can still use your CC to top up your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I'm guessing that what he means is that Itunes, for instance, is legal, but www.allofmp3.com is "legal".

the latter, with added inverted commas, is only legal insofar as nobody has managed to prove that it's *not* legal. It's where one moves from legality to morality; i've no great love for huge musical corporations either, but it's quite obvious that if Artist X would get,say, 20c a song when it's downloaded for 99c on iTunes and then on www.allofmp3.com the song is being sold for a tenth of that, then the artist is getting screwed. Period.

to answer the OP. www.emusic.com is quite good. Presently they've an offer of 25 free downloads if you sign up; the music there isn't exactly chart-tastic, but for more settled and mature (i.e. old) stuff, it's the job!

That guy was on about all download music being illegal, which is total crap.

Emusic is by far the best out there, excellent service, price and selection of good music.

Try wippit also if you like chart stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I would personally recommend buying a CD online and making it into MP3s, but there are some fantastic sites like www.audiolunchbox.com that have some superb music offerings you could never find in the shop at a rather good price (with no DRM)

Advertisement