Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind tunnel simulation software

• 09-11-2006 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hello,

As part as my final design project i am looking to generate forms for a building by analysing wind movement around my site which shall consist of high rise buildings (lookin into the different wind phenomenon which can occur in such instances etc...) I was wondering if anyone knows of good packages with which i can enter a 3d model and then simulate wind movement, in a similar way to a wind tunnel. I see ecotect has an ability to this, but i don't think it can acomplish exactly what im after. I have seen a video of a program simulating wind around Fosters Swiss Re building, but i do not know what program was being used. Has anybody got any suggestions? It would be a great help if i could get my hands on such a program.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

What you are looking to do is known as Computational Fluid Dynamics. One package I know of that does it is the CosmosFLOworks add on to the Solidworks 3D solid modelling software. I'm sure there are others out there too.
    Sorry I can't help more I'm about a year away from covering CFD in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

zepplin wrote:
    Hello,

As part as my final design project i am looking to generate forms for a building by analysing wind movement around my site which shall consist of high rise buildings (lookin into the different wind phenomenon which can occur in such instances etc...) I was wondering if anyone knows of good packages with which i can enter a 3d model and then simulate wind movement, in a similar way to a wind tunnel. I see ecotect has an ability to this, but i don't think it can acomplish exactly what im after. I have seen a video of a program simulating wind around Fosters Swiss Re building, but i do not know what program was being used. Has anybody got any suggestions? It would be a great help if i could get my hands on such a program.

Cheers!

the one used here in DCU is fluent and Gambit. basically gambit is used to draw and fluent to do the fluid calculations. I know there was work done on CFD simulation of the Burj al Arab building in dubai for a fyp here using that software and we use it in undergrad classes. It is fairly handy to use too. pm if you need some more detail about it.

Advertisement