Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was a cure, would you take it?

Options
  • 09-11-2006 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

was watchin X3 and theres a cure for bein a mutant
    some wanted it badly to be normal, others said they're normal and dont need a "cure" cos they aint sick

wha if there was a cure for bein gay? Would ye take it, or wha?

NOTE: I'm not sayin you have to / should

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not a cure for hertosexuality ?
    Why not a cure for homosexuality ?

Lets make the whole world bisexual and everyone can get a long and that way I don't have to change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

abetarrush wrote:
    some wanted it badly to be normal, others said they're normal and dont need a "cure" cos they aint sick

Most ignorant thread ever. Reported for Trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Abetarrush, abetarrush what can we do to "cure" you?

Would you like a little thread for yourself? We would all pop along and offer you
    "cures" for your " I'm straight but I was wondering .........?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The bad things about being Queer are mainly the things the outside world imposes upon us. As such looking to "cure" it, is looking for a cure in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

First off -Homosexuality is not a disease or a condition so ergo it does not need a cure.

Secondly-Abbetrush or whatever your name is, you have posted some borderline stuff in this forum before but from my point of view (as a reader and a poster here) I've given you the benefit of the doubt 'cause what you posted was almost an attempt at something inteligent.

This thread however is a mistake or at the very least very badly worded.
    It has at its base an extreme ignorance.

Now please write in your onw handwriting 500 lines and hand it in to teacher...
    I must not troll like this in future
    I must not...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

omg, thats why I started the bloody thread!

theres loadsa gay guys we know who say they'd straight, and i clearly stated im not sayin im for this imaginary cure

ffs...........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Too much anger in this thread and I don't think it's been phrased helpfully, although I don't think the OP intentions were malicious in any way. Hovering on the "Lock" button unless I'm given a reason not to.

ixoy wrote:
    Too much anger in this thread and I don't think it's been phrased helpfully, although I don't think the OP intentions were malicious in any way. Hovering on the "Lock" button unless I'm given a reason not to.
    please, PRESS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Such is the negativity and persecuation towards homosexuality in the current, modern world, would you become straight if you were able to or is it too much a part of your identity to 'remove'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well abetarrush what if you mutated like spiderman and developed The Ghey and it was not a natural mutation like iceman would accept it or look for a cure and become bitter and twisted ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

abettarush, I think there's an idea for a thread in there somewhere but your wording of it is appallingly bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.geocities.com/alfonzobelushi/floodquotes.html
    VYVYAN: Yeah, my potion! My potion as well! NEIL: What potion? VYVYAN: It's a potion I've invented where when the patient drinks it he turns into an axe-wielding, homicidal maniac! It's basically a cure. For not being an axe-wielding, homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!

If there is a genetic component to some aspects of homosexuality in some men then there is research suggests that one explaination for it is the effect it has on women with the same gene. I don't know if it's an attempt to try to explain how the gene could survive since homosexual men might have less children than average ( not as taboo amongst other cultures perhaps in pre-history ? ) but one theory suggests that the female relatives with this gene would be more fertile or possibly more sexually active and so overall there would be more copies of the gene in future generations.

Does the OP want to cure teh sexy women too ? :rolleyes:

Ah lads & lassies !

Stop pandering to him !!!!

To quote Oscar Wilde "the lady doth protest too much"

abetarrush ! Come out! come out! wherever you are !

Its getting boring with your "I'm straight but I want to know"

You have been answered here many times but still you persist in pretending that you are trying to understand what being gay is.

As I said above, if you want a thread on this LGB to discuss you personally then posted it but stop this endless quest of seeking answers that you have already got !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

What I think hes trying to say is would you prefer to be attracted to the opposite sex or are you happy being attracted to the same sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

haven't we had this question asked before ?

All the uproar about suggestions of a cure.

Anywhoo I don't thinkt he question " if you could choose not to be gay would you?" is such a bad one.

Personally there are any number of things about my life I'd change but is not possible. I'm sure thats the case for many people - wanting to be taller, less hairy/ bigger breast/smaller, richer etc etc. I know for along time both my sister and I wished we never got migraines .

So if I was asked do I think "gay" is a defect, an illness, or wrong I'd say "nope". If asked would I ever want things differently, the answer is sure. I knew a girl once, loved her madly, would happily to choose to be married to her , with house, kiddies, etc etc. While I could "choose" that, the simple reality is being "gay" would be an obstacle. Of course that we fell out of love would be an obstacle too !

I don't understand why any one would wonder if people might want to change their lives, to mee it seems the essence of humanity - growth, relationships, education, migration, etc

This has been done before tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most ignorant thread ever.

I wouldn't say ever. After all, we've had how many threads of this nature by now?

<edit>See Tristrame's post</edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 WhizzGDK

I think you guys are being very hard and unfair to the OP here.

He obviously is curious and interested in the society and finding a group of gay people to ask about these things.
    Anybody taking offence to the wording is just looking for an excuse to kick off at an straight guy. As a community ye should be taking the opportunity educate people, not slate them for asking the wrong question.
    Its fair enough to point out it is worded bady or that the topic is covered but we should be happy that young men can ask questions like this without fear of persecution.

Calling him gay or in the closet is just bullying, and im sure most here know what that feels like to be on the recieving end. And having an interest instead of a fear is showing good results of a changing society.

Show a little consideration for those (like myself) that are unaware, and assist in the search for knowledge.

Sangre wrote:
    Such is the negativity and persecuation towards homosexuality in the current, modern world, would you become straight if you were able to or is it too much a part of your identity to 'remove'?

No. On the whole being with the particular person I was with changed me dramatically and made me a better person for it. Maybe I could ahve achieved the same with a woman, maybe not, but he was the right person at the right time for me, if I was straight, I would have passed that up, and that would have been a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

There was a time when the medical/professional community thought that homosexuality was a disease and tried to cure gays. Everything from electroshock therapy to hormonal treatments (like Alan Turing british codebreaker from WW2 and father of computers). However nothing worked. So there is a moutain of evidence that shows that you can't make a gay man straight.

However no-one's tried to do the opposite. So there's lots of evidence that you can't 'cure' homosexuality, but none that you can't cure hetrosexuality. :)

• Advertisement

WhizzGDK wrote:
    I think you guys are being very hard and unfair to the OP here.

He obviously is curious and interested in the society and finding a group of gay people to ask about these things.
    Anybody taking offence to the wording is just looking for an excuse to kick off at an straight guy. As a community ye should be taking the opportunity educate people, not slate them for asking the wrong question.
    Its fair enough to point out it is worded bady or that the topic is covered but we should be happy that young men can ask questions like this without fear of persecution.

Calling him gay or in the closet is just bullying, and im sure most here know what that feels like to be on the recieving end. And having an interest instead of a fear is showing good results of a changing society.

Show a little consideration for those (like myself) that are unaware, and assist in the search for knowledge.

Your comments are well made and would be similar to my own when I first started on Boards.ie. However if you stick around this LGB forum longer enough, you might appreciate our feelings to this OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'In a heartbeat. It's just too difficult a life.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

abetarrush wrote:

no way- i love being able to appriciate men and women in all their glory-TBH when i reliased i was bi i was thrilled-Which sounds weird but its not-Im totally happy with it and I wouldnt change it for the world!!

Vinnie69 wrote:
    Ah lads & lassies !

Stop pandering to him !!!!...........................
    As I said above, if you want a thread on this LGB to discuss you personally then posted it but stop this endless quest of seeking answers that you have already got !
    wtf r u on about?

Did I say "Oh, jus to be clear, im straight" at the start of this thread?

I was askin a simple question.

Your the ones always sayin that no1 uses this forum much anymore, am I not breathin life into it? Even though I don't try to make anyone angry [i swear!] its funny sometimes

So, yeah, jus chill man!

And I know I'm straight, I'm confident abt my sexuality so comment away

I only post here for the same reason as any other forum [mostly], to learn abt different people.

Is that so wrong???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Okay, take a chill pill people! :cool:

Now, I empathise......It seems to me that abetarrush misphrased what he endeavoured to say. Perhaps, abetarrush, you meant to say is:

"If there was a magical spell to turn you heterosexual, would you take it?"

Note, I have refrained from using the word "cure" as cure implies a disease, illness, etc. Maybe there ought to be a cure for homophobia though as that seems to be a profound mental and psychological illness. ;)

My response: No, I would not want a magic spell cast over me to make me straight as I'm having to much fun being gay!!! :D:):p

thanks UU

dats wha i meant. I just meant scientists would call it a cure, cos they see it as a disease

watch X-Men 3 and ye'll know wha im on abt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could Abe be banned for constantly raping the english language. It's hard to beleive the guy is here to learn when he can't be arsed at making an attempt at being understood. If he was attacked out of hand, it's only because he was extremely sloppy and lazy with his posts, and continues to be.

Abe, you believe homosexuality to be genetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

abetarrush wrote:
    thanks UU

dats wha i meant. I just meant scientists would call it a cure, cos they see it as a disease

Oh for god's sake.

Dig up you fool! DIG UP!

nd lrn 2 spl wile ur at eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

abetarrush wrote:
    thanks UU

If there were a cure for having sat throught XMen 3 I'd take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I saw this thread on the main page loggin on and I thoght the title of the thread was so horrible. Ok, lets take me for an example. I'm a ginger. Does that mean I want to be black haired or blonde or some other acceptable colour? No. I am what I am. Same with my sexuality, its mine. I was born with it, same as everyone else. It makes me what and who i am, why for gods sake would I want to change it? I wouldnt be me anymore.

And I'm sorry o/p, but saying "its what scientists say not me" isnt entirely correct. You wrote the title to this thread, this is your idea.

Advertisement