Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was a cure, would you take it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I saw this thread on the main page loggin on and I thoght the title of the thread was so horrible. Ok, lets take me for an example. I'm a ginger. Does that mean I want to be black haired or blonde or some other acceptable colour? No. I am what I am. Same with my sexuality, its mine. I was born with it, same as everyone else. It makes me what and who i am, why for gods sake would I want to change it? I wouldnt be me anymore.

And I'm sorry o/p, but saying "its what scientists say not me" isnt entirely correct. You wrote the title to this thread, this is your idea.

correct, but to be exact
    "it's what some fictional scientists in some Sci Fi come pile of ****e movie said"

Now onto our next question
    "who would win in a fight, batman or wolverine"...

Might as well rephrase the title of hte htread to "Is your life so loathsome and detestable, that given the chance, would you chance this aspect of it completely".

It's sad that for some the answer would be a resounding yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

abetarrush wrote:
    wha if there was a cure
    Nah. I like being straight. If I was gay, I doubt lesbians would look so nice:cool:

=-=

LiouVille: we all know Wolverine would win, so stop trying to drag it off topic. If you want to compare their abs, create a thread about it on SlyDice:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭St_Crispin

A cure implies that there's something wrong. There isn't. They might not be normal (Don't flame for the use of that word. Probably not the best word to use. But I just mean that if 90% of people are one way, then that's "the norm". Just like there's no better side of the road to drive on. But depending on where you are, it's the normal side) but there's nothing wrong with them.

A better question would be "if you could be hetrosexual as well?"

Being gay does cause a lot of problems for people. There are many places it's not accepted. They will be viewed differently. That's not their fault. It's the fault of the people who view them that way. There's only two solutions. One is to make everyone see sense. That's not about to happen this century. As long as there's a difference there will always be people who will focus on that. Even in this day in age there's still discrimination against both genders because of their sex. The same will always be true of sexuality.

The only other way would be if people changed their sexuality to fit in. Most (I'd imagine 99%) would say no. Because 1. it's not wrong and 2. it's part of who they are.

But still they'd like to get rid of the difficulties. For example a lot would want to be parents. Which is a lot harder for gay men.

Which is why I said the question should be changed. Rather than removing a part of someone, you're adding (in some ways). And that may be a more palitable suggestion. And the question is equally as valid for hetrosexuals. Would they, if they were in a predominantly homosexual enviroment, want to be gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

WhizzGDK wrote:
    Anybody taking offence to the wording is just looking for an excuse to kick off at an straight guy.
    No, we're just reacting naturally to an offensive little **** spewing crap from his diseased poisonous little mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tristrame wrote:

Tristrame, that thread you linked to is 4 years old. Don't see what relevance that has. Many of the current boards users weren't even registered. Not everyone has been on boards since 1972 like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's but one of many

aidan24326 wrote:
    Tristrame, that thread you linked to is 4 years old. Don't see what relevance that has. Many of the current boards users weren't even registered. Not everyone has been on boards since 1972 like yourself.
    Honey,
    You shouldn't just dismiss people that have been on boards since 1972.
    We know stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tristrame, the way you said that..was just slightly scary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

abetarrush wrote:
    thanks UU

dats wha i meant. I just meant scientists would call it a cure, cos they see it as a disease

watch X-Men 3 and ye'll know wha im on abt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a scientist. I don't think it's a disease do I? *checks* No, I'm pretty sure that's not something I believe. But maybe my disease-riddled mind has tricked me into not noticing.

OP, I assume you had no malicious intent when you started this thread (unlike many posters here over the years) but you need to word things more carefully. Why? Are large numbers of homosexuals and bisexuals overly sensitive about their sexuality? Yes of course we are. For a lot of us it has resulted in harrassment, bullying, being ostracised, depression, confusion, low self esteem and self-hatred. Do you have any idea what it's like to hate the very person that you are because of the social problems it has led to for you?

Would you ask someone from Kenya if they would like to be cured of being black? A little bit of empathy is neccessary in this world, try to remember that that applies online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's utterly offensive a "cure" would even be considere to begin with. As if we need another way to kill off diversity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

LOOK!

Here's the truth: If you're gay, you're gay. If you're lesbian, you're lesbian. If you're bi, you're bi. If you're straighnt you're straight. If you're asexual, you're asexual, etc...

So get over it!!! You are who you are because of destiny, because of who you are attracted (or not attracted to). Why would I wish to be something I'm not? There is in fact little difference between being straight and being gay. Like a hetero relationship, our lovelives also involves love, affection, communication, fidelity, scoring, kissing, sex, hugging, whatever. The only significant difference is one is composed of two people of the opposite gender and ours is two people of the same gender.

Also, the only people I've met who think homosexuality is a disease that needs to be cured, have been very fanatical religious people who also think adulterers should be imprisoned.

There you go, make whatever you want out of what I said.

But the true disease that lurks around these pages from time to time is Homophobia. If anything needs to be cured, it is the corrupted bigots who reap our seeds of fellowship and virtues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

I saw a programme on Channel4 during the summer about a camp in America that claims to turn gay people straight. They put them through some rough treatment to say the least and the aim of the treatment was to awaken the 'Hetrosexual instincts within the man that had been smothered by homosexual feelings.

At the end of the programme it said, the camp was booked out solid for the next three years. So someone must want to be "cured". LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

cheeky_guy wrote:
    I saw a programme on Channel4 during the summer about a camp in America that claims to turn gay people straight. They put them through some rough treatment to say the least and the aim of the treatment was to awaken the 'Hetrosexual instincts within the man that had been smothered by homosexual feelings.

At the end of the programme it said, the camp was booked out solid for the next three years. So someone must want to be "cured". LOL :D

Indeed, there are some sad gays out there who wished they weren't born gay and with social pressure seek a "cure". But it is like as if you have black hair and dye it blond, after a while the black roots show through! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

scientists would call it a cure, cos they see it as a disease

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

No they Friggin well don't - they have not done so for the last 30 odd years

If there was a cure for your heterosexuality would you take it?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

cheeky_guy wrote:

More like someone wants their son 'cured'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Sangre wrote:
    More like someone wants their son 'cured'.
    Yeah, that's a more accurate picture. They're called de-homosexualising camps. These freaky religious nutters send their sons and daughters to these places to be cured "by guidance of Jesus Christ". Many of these places have breached human rights according to the UN Convention of Human Rights and get off scot free in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

UU wrote:
    Yeah, that's a more accurate picture. They're called de-homosexualising camps. These freaky religious nutters send their sons and daughters to these places to be cured "by guidance of Jesus Christ". Many of these places have breached human rights according to the UN Convention of Human Rights and get off scot free in America.
    No no no its very true!

Jesus is actually there in the form of the thousands of electrical volts

[/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Transcendant

I am gay, i am proud and do not hide my sexuality or feel shame for it bu tif there were some hypothetic way of making myself straight then i would gladly change. I see no self hate in that i see practicality.

UU wrote:

There's no mention in the bible of Jesus ever having a ladyfriend/wife/children, so perhaps JC himself was gay. It would be absolutely priceless if someone by some stroke of genius could prove he was. Oh that someone would even fake the evidence convincingly. Imagine the horror among the christian fundies at the 'de-homosexualizing camps'. Personally I would laugh myself to death if that happened.

EDIT: Transcendant, an atypical viewpoint judging by this thread. Though it would seem that heterosexuality is the more 'practical' and 'easier' option, were the whole thing optional at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Jesus revisits eath on the last days of the armaggeddon.

'What, didn't I tell you? I love the cock.'

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    Jesus revisits eath on the last days of the armaggeddon.

'What, didn't I tell you? I love the cock.'

Yeah, you got it all wrong you fundie numpties. Didn't you get the rampant homoeroticism in the bible? Or That Judas really 'betrayed' me by sleeping with my boyfriend? You fools! To hellfire with you all!! :D

Where have you been all your lives folks!

Jesus was a bisexual ! It is all there in the Miles & Boom book (the Bible)

Wake upl "All you need is Love" (The Beatles)

"Love thy Neighbour" (Jesus)

Altogether now "all you need is love .... Everybody, all you need is love"

Good morning everybody!

I love this thread, it shows passion and thought, not always seen on boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Given the choice to change, I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

I like being differant, if every one was else was the gay/bi I'd be the straight. I take on controversy and love it. Not every one want to fight against pop opinoin. I can uderstand why some ppl would do any thing to seem "normal", live in the right aera and have the right clothes, friends, education, views, body, thing and go to the right socal events. Even gay are gilty of this. They will spend or do what ever it takes to fit in and it doesn''t stop when you level high school.

my bf says: "I'd give it a go"

If it was a troll, it got u''s thinking and u fed it, like the troll in ur mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

On the other hand, if someone was genuinely uncomfortable with their sexual orientation, whatever it may be, shouldn't they be able to change it?

Many people who are uncomfortable with their gender can change it. This is the way they are born, but they want to be something different.

If it is possible to change gender, why shouldn't it be possible to change sexuality?

Undergod wrote:
    If it is possible to change gender, why shouldn't it be possible to change sexuality?

I like your thinking!
    azezil wrote:
    Given the choice to change, I'd consider it.
    Why would u consider it? Hipitheticaly speeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Seems to me it'd make life a lot easier if I were straight...

Sometimes being gay just seems a bit of a chore and gets rather tiresome.

I suppose I say that because although I say I'm gay, being gay can prove more awkward than I expected at times, and I don't mean in relation to society, couldn't give a toss in that regard, but more the intimacy and physical interaction with other gay males outside of a social environment.

azezil wrote:

Sometimes being gay just seems a bit of a chore and gets rather tiresome.

I suppose I say that because although I say I'm gay, being gay can prove more awkward than I expected at times, and I don't mean in relation to society, couldn't give a toss in that regard, but more the intimacy and physical interaction with other gay males outside of a social environment.

Ohh I know! I know! You don't know which way to turn ! Things get out of hand! Size matters to you!

Get Vinnie69's book and DVD...... How To Improve Your Gay Lifestyle ....

Send €100 to me now and I will personally guarantee your sex life will never be the same. :D

NOW, NOW, Vinnie, play nice with the other kidys.
    azezil wrote:

Your suggesting u can make a comparison and I’ve just made an assumption. There are problem with being str8, namely the 3 date min, what’s with that. {I once had I gay that not till our 2nd meeting and I almost fell off the dance floor}

:) I remember it take an age to get in to gay sex, I still proffer the ease of str8 sex {haven’t gotten any in ages}, but then I’m lays, wait, I don’t know why, f***. {funny, that can be read both ways}

god I love the sound of my own voice, lah lah lah lah. Oh, there was a point here.

no lost it, I want to go home,

• Advertisement

Azezeil if your having trouble with intimice you can come over to mine :)

Please note:, Boyfriend may object. Intimice only lasts for no more then 3 month, then catistofic backdown of emotional ties, side efects of iches and rashes may acker.

5 min left, then I'm off.

Wait is this proving your point!

2 min left, come come on

Advertisement